No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: 8-bit computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spectrum had Laser Squad, so it wins for me by defualt as I was obsessed by it.

EDIT: Though I've just looked at the wiki page and seemingly it was on loads of platforms!

Comment

Well this thread has cost me a few bob. I’ve just bought a 6128+ and 32 in 1 game cart. Looking forward to it arriving next week.

Comment

Atari 800XL
        C64
        Speccy

I say this as someone that never owned an 8bit computer firsthand outside of the CPC 6128 briefly in the early 2010s. By the time they were being handed down and given away in the early 90s to kids my age at the time, we were gaming on the SMS and NES and they all felt quite ancient and slow in comparison.

The Atari 8bit line are the coolest to me however, followed very closely by the C64. The XL series in particular look gorgeous and they have a great selection of games.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          The best 64 games also required dark magic.

Two examples of the "dark magic" at work.

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
          PPS, remember this lookin gooood but not sure about the balls, I always thought it was cars tbh:
          I had this on the Amstrad and quite enjoyed playing it now and then. A strange game.

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
          I'm a big fan of the Powerplay Cruiser.

The colours make me feel like saying "It's rad, dude!"

Originally posted by importaku View Post

Foggys quest
          Absolutely stunning.

Originally posted by Colin View Post

EDIT: Though I've just looked at the wiki page and seemingly it was on loads of platforms!
          Yeah, it came out for loads of systems -- including the MSX. But I do remember it being really popular on the Spectrum.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post

The Atari 8bit line are the coolest to me however, followed very closely by the C64. The XL series in particular look gorgeous and they have a great selection of games.
          I love the design of the 800XL -- and as you say, the XL series look nice. There are plenty of good games to enjoy that still play pretty well. It's a shame the machine didn't take off in the UK.

Comment

My main memory of the 8 bit Ataris were that they took years to load a tape. 999 on the counter loop resetting. I had a 130XE, and I think an 800 too. It had a Star Raiders cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post

Yeah, while Julian programmed the Speccy version, his brother Nick programmed the C64 version. One of my favourite C64 games of all time to boot, and really pleased I finally got to meet Julian last year.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                It had a Star Raiders cartridge.

It was a killer app for the Atari 400 -- and came on an 8K cartridge. A lot of Atari 400/800/XE games came on cartridge.

A couple of shooters running on the Atari 800/XL.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-11-2019, 16:52.

Comment

Oh, I loved Zaxxon so much. It was a real favourite of mine back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Oh, I loved Zaxxon so much. It was a real favourite of mine back in the day.

Here's the C64 version that looks a bit drab compared to the Atari version, but it also runs well.

I won't post the really clunky MSX and Spectrum versions.

Comment

I had this version:

Comment

I had this version:
                        I didn't know people in the UK had the Apple II -- always thought of it as a machine only Americans were into. That's a reasonable port of Zaxxon,

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          I didn't know people in the UK had the Apple II -- always thought of it as a machine only Americans were into. That's a reasonable port of Zaxxon,
                          Yeah, I don't remember the sound being quite so bad but we had the Apple IIe so it's possible that made a difference, although probably unlikely. I probably just remember it being better because I was young and standards were different.

We had an Apple IIe basically because my dad was horrifically bad with money.

Comment

To be honest, I don't rate the atari 8 bits much. Only one I like is the 7800. Britain is the land of the home micros

Comment

1. BBC Micro (Exile, Elite, Revs+, Sentinel, Planetoid, Thrust = all amazing!)
                              2. ZX Spectrum
                              3. Amstrad CPC

Comment

We had an Apple IIe basically because my dad was horrifically bad with money.
                                It cost around $1400 at launch, so way more expensive than all the other 8-bit micros. It was quite a big thing in America though.

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
                                1. BBC Micro (Exile, Elite, Revs+, Sentinel, Planetoid, Thrust = all amazing!)

I've always thought Exile is brilliant. Thrust is also best on the BBC.

Comment

Working...
                                X