User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Why in the name of god did Nintendo insist on having that Z button icon permanently onscreen for the GB Player? Asshole decision.

Agree 100% don't know what they were thinking with that one, the emulation on the GBA player isn't 100% with some games either which really annoys me as well.

There's a new review up on the Randomised Gaming blog this one is for the not so great Rolo to the Rescue, feel sorry for anyone who had this as a kid:

http://randomisedgaming.tumblr.com/p...ew-rolo-to-the

Wow, back here again, never mind lets get the banter restarted, with a Treasure game from 1999 Rakugaki Showtime. It's an arena based combat game, lot of unlockable characters, fast playing and a wonderful graphics style, rarely used, you could HD this today and it would still look stunning. Also now on PSN in Japan if you have a Japanese account and it's a much cheaper way of buying the game than sourcing a retail PS1 copy these days.

It really was a lot of fun. It has a certain aura surrounding it due to having been developed by Treasure and having been pulled from shops not long after its release, but it stands on its own merits. I checked the HK store but it isn't there. Time to create a fourth PSN account, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Deuteros View Post
    It really was a lot of fun. It has a certain aura surrounding it due to having been developed by Treasure and having been pulled from shops not long after its release, but it stands on its own merits. I checked the HK store but it isn't there. Time to create a fourth PSN account, I guess...
    Yeah, I was hoping it would get an EU PSN release, but never did, but I'm luck enough to have an original PS1 disc, which I got last year. Some of the characters are rather unbalanced, but it's a great part game and some of the fights have about seven enemies on screen at once making the game very chaotic.

Short version of Daytona USA on the Saturn today, currently I'm compare the PAL version with the NTSC for a comparison video of the original Saturn port. PAL version was shockingly bad due to the poor optimisation that occurred.

Still gets a lot of love from some Saturn fans, I prefer the Japanese CE release myself on Saturn. That said the Xbox 360 and PS3 ports are the best version these days of the original arcade:
    Last edited by S3M; 12-01-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S3M View Post
    PAL version was shockingly bad due to the poor optimisation that occurred.
    It's such a shame that retro consoles didn't have a switch or just a simple software mode to allow Pal gamers to play games in full screen 60Hz. It seems crazy now that big manufacturers just forced Pal gamers to have borders and 50Hz. The ability to be able to run games like in NTSC regions would have been a simple but nice option to include.

When the Dreamcast appeared and most Pal games allowed people to choose between 50 or 60Hz, it was a revelation. But the curse of 50Hz still lingered during that generation, so it took until the 360/PS3 gen for consoles in Pal Land to allow all games to run as they are in NTSC Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Retro View Post

When the Dreamcast appeared and most Pal games allowed people to choose between 50 or 60Hz, it was a revelation. But the curse of 50Hz still lingered during that generation, so it took until the 360/PS3 gen for consoles in Pal Land to allow all games to run as they are in NTSC Land.
    It was the OG XBox that really changed it for the Pal gamer. All OG XBox games were full screen and almost all of them run at 60 Hz to be fair to MS they also brought the realsse dates of the big NTSC US games and Pal games much closer too. SEGA Europe were sort of hopless with the Saturn, they go to the trouble of including a Scart Lead with the unit only for it not suppoprt 60 Hz, which nearly all TV with a Scart unit could handle and why was both SEGA Rally II and VF 3tb on the DC not native 60 hz on Pal ?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    It was the OG XBox that really changed it for the Pal gamer. All OG XBox games were full screen and almost all of them run at 60 Hz to be fair to MS they also brought the realsse dates of the big NTSC US games and Pal games much closer too.
    Yeah, MS helped make 60Hz a normal thing in PAL regions. By putting a '60Hz' option on the main menu, it really sent a message to developers that they needed to allow games to run in 60Hz on PAL machines.

The only issue was MS not allowing '480P' for PAL machines when a Component cable is plugged in. Of course, not many people had Component input in the UK/Europe, but it wasn't too rare at the time for MS to justify disabling it. Disabling it was a strange choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    SEGA Europe were sort of hopless with the Saturn, they go to the trouble of including a Scart Lead with the unit only for it not suppoprt 60 Hz, which nearly all TV with a Scart unit could handle and why was both SEGA Rally II and VF 3tb on the DC not native 60 hz on Pal ?
    Yeah, lots of CRTs supported 60Hz through RGB Scart. I remember it working on lots of brands - from Goldstar, Panasonic, JVC, Sony etc... I even had a 14" Sony with one Scart socket, but it worked like a charm with NTSC machines.

You'd think that manufacturers like Sony and Sega would have included a 60Hz option in a menu, as something progressive over the nightmare of bordered 50Hz in the 8 & 16-bit era. It was an oversight that served to taint PAL Land gaming once again. There was no justification for it, so it was just companies not caring much about PAL gamers.

At least with the Dreamcast, a big company finally realised how important 60Hz is, so it pushed developers to include a simple 50Hz-60Hz option in their games.
    Although, for some reason Virtua Fighter 3 is 50Hz-only. In fact, quite a few of Sega's games are 50Hz-only in Pal Land. It's enough to drive you mad thinking about how bad the management could be in a big company. Having a simple standard that all Dreamcast games must include a '60Hz' option would have made sure developers didn't forget to include one. Sega Europe obviously couldn't even make sure to include one in all of its first-party titles.

When HDMI became a standard last decade, it made sure that PAL consoles were no longer going to torture gamers with borders and 50Hz. That was a huge benefit for UK/Europe gamers that finally freed them from the PAL nightmare.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-01-2018 at 09:15 AM.