Randomised Gaming Retro Videos & Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    Been thinking about the Amiga recently and it all boils down to the games being mostly made by guys with mad coding skills but zero experience of making an actual game
    Many of them didn't even have "mad coding skills". You can also see many examples of terrible art and animation on the Amiga.

It was simply because the Amiga was an open platform, so a coder or a small team could put a game together and then find a publisher that was willing to publish it. There were plenty of publishers who did business with a 'shovelware' sort of mentality.

The UK games biz back in the 80s and early-90s had a largely amateurish vibe about it, which meant you got all sorts of wild and wacky games, but many games failed when it came to playability. The art of game design wasn't really recognised in the UK and across Europe, so a lot of games felt quite dull for one reason or another.

Japanese developers and publishers clearly had more respect for and understanding of gameplay. The best Japanese games had well crafted level design and features such as 'continues' and difficulty settings. Of course, there are plenty of bad Japanese games but on the whole, Japan had a knack of delivering really fun, playable games.

Of course, the UK and Europe did deliver some top quality games for the Amiga. It's just a sad fact they are few and far between. A lot of Amiga games seem promising at first, but then you soon realise how bad the actual gameplay is.

Once lots of the smaller UK developers/publishers shut down -- and the bigger developers/publishers started working closely with Japanese publishers, standards were definitely raised.

I think the rise of consoles in the UK & Europe led to a better understanding and appreciation for game design and how to make games feel really fun. After that -- you had Western developers and publishers go from strength to strength and begin to deliver lots of games that were popular on the world stage. I'd say that Western gaming owes a lot to Japan when it comes to learning how to craft well designed, fun games.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-11-2018, 10:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      Just looks better. I'm gutted I got rid. Lovely game and looks great on the Jag
      Looks to be quite a rare game and out of my price range for a boxed copy. I can't even see a 'cart-only' copy for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        Looks to be quite a rare game and out of my price range for a boxed copy. I can't even see a 'cart-only' copy for sale.
        I to think I picked up my copy for £3 and also sold it for next to nothing too

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          I to think I picked up my copy for £3 and also sold it for next to nothing too
          I kick myself thinking about how cheap retro stuff was a while back -- and how I should have bought everything I could ever want back then. Prices have slowly crept up and up over the past 8 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            Is better in any way on the Jaguar? I haven't got many Jag games.
            Jaguar game is the sequel, shame they didn't port it to other systems. In regards to [MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION] comments about the SNES the main reason for that was Nintendo had certification so limited the number of games on the system and quality. The Amiga would have been the same had Commodore done this practice as well.

Two classic arcade games recently Spider-Man the Video Game

Also took a look at the arcade version of Fighting Vipers 2, which proves that the Dreamcast version wasn't arcade perfect as many of the backgrounds had elements cut from them.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
              Also took a look at the arcade version of Fighting Vipers 2, which proves that the Dreamcast version wasn't arcade perfect as many of the backgrounds had elements cut from them.
              I assume people didn't play it long enough to notice. Shame it wasn't all that great, though I liked the prior one.

Fighting Vipers is a weird one. I always liked the way it played, and its armour feature... But I think it was just a bit too weird in terms of character design to ever have mass appeal. The fighters in the early Tekken games, for example, are a diverse bunch, but with a few exceptions (like Yoshimitsu) they generally conform to archetypes - kickboxer, Bruce Lee guy, big Russian guy... Kinda like Street Fighter. Even Soul Edge has a mix of the more recognisable characters (like samurai and germanic knights) along with its Voldos.

FV though; everyone is kinda unique. There's Bahn who looks like he fell out of a piece of Jojo fanart, an armoured maid, a skateboarding guy... On the one hand, the characters are immediately recognisable as from FV (meaning the art style is quite strong) but do people particularly like them?

Comment

Jaguar game is the sequel, shame they didn't port it to other systems. In regards to [MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION] comments about the SNES the main reason for that was Nintendo had certification so limited the number of games on the system and quality. The Amiga would have been the same had Commodore done this practice as well.

Two classic arcade games recently Spider-Man the Video Game

It still makes me so sad that Spiderman never came to the Saturn, the game is still to this awesome fun and looks great and would have been right up the Saturn 2D street

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  FV though; everyone is kinda unique. There's Bahn who looks like he fell out of a piece of Jojo fanart, an armoured maid, a skateboarding guy... On the one hand, the characters are immediately recognisable as from FV (meaning the art style is quite strong) but do people particularly like them?
                  Certainly their designs were very unique, what killed the second game was the removal of the dodge system and adding in the silly Super KO attacks, that meant you could instantly win the match. Also was the original that popular I never really saw it in arcades only on the home format.

New retro video with a look at Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on Saturn, PS1 fans like to raise the issues with the game engine at the drop of a hat. Really I think many are just salty the Saturn port had extra content and Alucard could move faster around the castle.

Comment

Certainly their designs were very unique, what killed the second game was the removal of the dodge system and adding in the silly Super KO attacks, that meant you could instantly win the match. Also was the original that popular I never really saw it in arcades only on the home format.
                    Come to think of it, in the UK in the 90s, I probably saw as many Fighting Vipers machines as I did Virtua Fighter 2 machines.

Though neither were as popular as Tekken.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      Come to think of it, in the UK in the 90s, I probably saw as many Fighting Vipers machines as I did Virtua Fighter 2 machines.

Though neither were as popular as Tekken.
                      Never saw one FV in the UK, VF2 was really common, Tekken was more popular on the home systems the arcade wasn't huge.

Video of one of the more lesser known Saturn game, in fact this was a PAL only Saturn released based on a Mac/PC title, Frankenstein through the eyes of the Monster featuring Tim Curry. Great port, but a flawed puzzle game trying to navigate some areas in the castle is a nightmare as all the walls and doors look the same.

Comment

Plenty of new videos up of later, look at Doom 64 EX, Quake on PC and Atlantis on Saturn, one of those odd titles that you wouldn't have thought it would have come to console, it's also a pretty terrible port:

Comment

Well hope everyone enjoyed Christmas, I suspect 2019 might be a bit of a crazy year, but before the fun really begins, here's a few videos we put up on the channel over the last few weeks:

Dead or Alive 1 on Xbox 360, one of the few Sega Saturn port to any system, still looks good and shows what happens when you keep your source code:

The Chaos Engine, Amiga classic this is the 2013 Steam release:

Here an obscure one from Gaelco a Spanish developer saw a few of their games in the UK and a few in Spain on holiday, Snowboard Championship:

Comment

Started to cover Nintendo content a bit more now that they've changed there video rules. Interesting to see how they do as Nintendo games don't seem that popular on YouTube:

Comment

Dead or Alive 1 on Xbox 360, one of the few Sega Saturn port to any system, still looks good and shows what happens when you keep your source code:
                              Maaaan, I always forget just how much the original feels like Virtua Fighter. If you close your eyes and just listen to the sound FX, you'd think it was VF.

Comment

Started to cover Nintendo content a bit more now that they've changed there video rules. Interesting to see how they do as Nintendo games don't seem that popular on YouTube:

What ever happened to the video I did some voiceover for?

Comment

Working...
                                X