No announcement yet.

Randomised Gaming Retro Videos & Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New video up and it's a longplay of a Japanese arcade game known as The Deep. One from the depth of gaming history by all accounts. Been told it got an Amiga port too along with some other home computer ports, but never saw them. Good fun especially in the current weather. Has anyone here ever played this one? A future BOTP for [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] maybe

Last edited by S3M; 26-07-2018, 15:17.

Comment

Now this is a Sega arcade game I'm not sure was even released in the arcades over here Wild Riders. Never saw or played it myself in any arcade. Looks and plays great and also never ported to any home console or even mentioned again after its arcade release. This is running on Demul which now emulates the Naomi 2 games to a decent standard, not perfect, but fairly close by the looks of things.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
        This is running on Demul which now emulates the Naomi 2 games to a decent standard, not perfect, but fairly close by the looks of things.
        Please tell me I can now play Planet Harriers? Wild Riders is such a cool, crazy game. I remember watching Luke Morse play it on his channel. I will try and get it up and running using Demul.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          Please tell me I can now play Planet Harriers? Wild Riders is such a cool, crazy game. I remember watching Luke Morse play it on his channel. I will try and get it up and running using Demul.
          Seem no one here really has played Wild Rider, wonder if it even got a European release? Planet Harriers you say did see someone playing it the other day on demul seems it works, but many of the graphics are missing at the moment and it's far from complete. Sega Hikaru emulation still has a way to go.

Comment

Got a few new videos on the channel not that many retro:

Arcade version of King of Route 66 Sega's follow up to 18 Wheeler:

Also Icewind Dale II we don't don't much about retro PC games on the fourm here? So let's changes that what was your favourite BioWare Infinity Engine for me it was the original Baldur's Gate, but with Icewind Dale 2 the only one not to have a newer EE version we took a look.

Comment

Arcade version of King of Route 66 Sega's follow up to 18 Wheeler:
              I might buy the PS2 version, as I like the original on the Dreamcast. I just hope it's as fun to play now and then, like the original is.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                I might buy the PS2 version, as I like the original on the Dreamcast. I just hope it's as fun to play now and then, like the original is.
                PS2 version is a bit of a strange mix by all account.

Comment

PS2 version is a bit of a strange mix by all account.
                  I'll give it a go. Looks like it's not as pure arcade-style as the original, but it might be enjoyable. Fingers crossed.

Comment

It's not a great sequel in the Arcades or in the home. I was quite disappointed with it tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      It's not a great sequel in the Arcades or in the home. I was quite disappointed with it tbh
                      I think I must have read bad reviews and dismissed it. That must be the case, seeing I've never bought it for the PS2, despite having all sorts of games for the system in my collection. It's still a cheap game though, so I might give it a go.

Comment

Couple of new retro videos one a quick look at Courier Crisis on Saturn, also released on PlayStation a early example of an open world game, that wasn't quite perfect.

Followed by some Cadillacs and Dinosaurs arcade action from capcom:

Also worth a mention Beyond the Beyond a somewhat forgotten PlayStation RPG:

Comment

Also worth a mention Beyond the Beyond a somewhat forgotten PlayStation RPG
                          I mean, I'm sure it has fans... But both of those guys should maybe forget about it.

Comment

oh man, I always hated Courier Crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              I mean, I'm sure it has fans... But both of those guys should maybe forget about it.
                              Just cause you don't like it, doesn't mean it's that bad, certainly fans of Golden Sun will enjoy it. Being developed by Camelot who improve the format for GS.

@Yakumo I was surprised it's not as bad as the magazines at the time made out, not a great or good game, but has some charm for what it did, seems to have had a bit of a following in Japan and it's clearly the blueprint for Crazy Taxi. It was developed by 2K games so quite a few GTA staff members worked on it.

These days it would be 18 as you can beat down dogs and bystanders including children. You can also give the middle fingers to drives and the police will chase you if you do that. Quite how it got a 3+ ELSPA is anyone's guess, the German USK gave it an 18.

Few more videos on the channel including one for FromSoftware's mecha classic Armored Core:
                              Last edited by S3M; 13-10-2018, 22:04.

Comment

I played Armored Core (the original) for such a long time. I always loved mecha games, since playing stuff like Ranger-X on the Megadrive, so as a Saturn owner I had Gungriffon and Virtual On, which were awesome - but due to having a Saturn at the start of that gen, and moving onto an N64 from there, I didn't actually get a PS1 until the N64 started to wind down, meaning that I think Armored Core was one of my first PS1 games, and one of the few that I owned for much all of the time I had it.

The game had tons of missions, and the construction gameplay was so fun; I could spend hours just making random Cores and chucking them into the levels, trying to find the perfect build.

Given, it wasn't perfect. The way it used the shoulder buttons for the up/down view axis was clunky even then (Gungriffon had similar issues but in that game you rarely had to look up or down), and it had the PS1's typical draw distance thing which always felt a bit weird coming from the N64 (one of the things I was happiest about when the Dreamcast came around and it seemed gaming had finally gotten over that). But those were really quite niggling problems in what was a very ambitious game.

We didn't really get the Gundam games in the UK (with a couple of exceptions), so we had to settle for games like Armored Core and Virtual On which were obviously inspired by the genre. I think Armored Core might just have been my favourite, and it's great to see how it has continued into a series.

Looking forward to 6, if we ever see it.

Comment

Working...
                                X