Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Man's Sky from Hello Games (HAS to be seen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the video I posted above, it sounds like they've streamlined the grind, so I hope so.

I don't think I have anything like this in my gaming collection.
    I like the idea of exploring the galaxy and a bit of Minecraftesque construction.
    I also think it's admirable that Hello Games are still supporting it, despite the backlash.
    It'll be interesting to see what the NEXT patch brings too.

I have a friend who loves it. He's in some fictional federation and they swap stories and even have an emblem!
    It seems if you like it, you really like it!

Comment

Speculations that the new update, and the Xbox One version will include proper co-op or multiplayer.
      That's based on the One boxart having several people on the cover...

Comment

No Man’s Sky is finally getting multiplayer in July.

“No Man’s Sky can be mysterious and lonely, and I love that, it’s very sci-fi… but playing with your friends is another type of science fiction, more like Battlestar or the Star Trek away team,” says studio co-founder Sean Murray. “It’s fun, emergent, intense, and funny in a way that we’ve always wanted No Man’s Sky to be.”

Murray says that the studio has been testing the feature for the past six months, and it sounds fairly robust. Here’s how he describes it:

"You’ll be able to explore the universe with your friends, or bump into random travellers. You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive. Your group can build anything from tiny shelters to complex colonies spanning planets, and everything is shared online for others to visit. Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies. Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks or maybe just scenic trails to share online."

Comment

Sad at the lack of VR, but otherwise a nice addition. After 2 years.

Comment

That sounds... fine, but opposes the point of the game? Guess it will buy it a little more time...

Comment

Next trailer

Comment

July 24th. Luckily I'm available that day.

Comment

Tempted to double dip on the Xbox One version and check out the X enhancements. Shouldn't really because as I've barely played the PS version I already own.

Obviously catching up on the Hello Games & Sean Murray interviews and reading the responses on ResetEra and it's very clear a lot of people just don't understand the video games industry.
                  • Yes there have been lots of free updates which is great, but developers rarely work on things for free without a payoff. Obviously they have released for a new platform and there might be further paid for content updates.
                  • The game very likely made huge profits and probably personal wealth for the owners. Hence also taking financial pressure off in the short and medium-term to move immediately to the next thing.
                  • HG are unlikely to not be working on other projects.
                  • Some of statements from the EuroGamer and Guardian interviews are disingenuous at best.

The weeks following No Man's Sky's launch were a hotbed of controversy and upset, with claims of broken promises - mostly pinned around the suggestion of multiplayer in the run-up to launch - and disappointment that this wasn't the game that some people had in their minds.
                  The press didn’t attack Hello Games when No Man’s Sky turned out to be a different game than the one some players had expected
                  Yeah you see Sea of Thieves come out, and I see a bunch of the reviews mention No Man's Sky but in a positive way.[Sean Murray]
                  • There are also some very candid and honest responses in the interviews. It's a shame that it has taken so long for any kind of acknowledgement or response from the developer.

Like Driveclub before it, for me, this game again really highlights the need for better consumer protection. If people had been able to have got refunds then some of the noise may have been dissipated. Sony's draconian and arguably illegal policy on refunds needs to change.

Ps. the HG website is like something from the 1990's!

Comment

2 years to provide a feature that they said was already in the game. Liars. Would be hilarious if it still wasn't in the game mind

Comment

Feel this is a relatively sane post over at 'Era. But it also touches upon this fallacy that ignorant, toxic and illegal behaviour somehow begins and ends with videogame fans.

This isn't a black and white situation. You can absolutely detest and loathe the harassment the company received and can also want to hold Sean Murray accountable for all of the lies he told. Lets be clear here, it wasn't that simply some features didn't make it into the game and it wasn't a big deal. Sean Murray promised the world about this game and constantly refused to clarify even the smallest of details be it about multiplayer or factions or anything else, he made the game seem like this impossible and revolutionary title when it wasn't even remotely close to that and he clearly knew what he was doing and he was doing it on purpose to hype the game up so it would sell better. If you don't like the world 'lie' then fine lets go with deceive, con, or a dozen other descriptors that all amount to the same thing. Let's stop pretending like Sean didn't do a lot of things wrong in how he talked up his game. He was Peter Molyneux but never stopped running his mouth, and people have a right to be upset that what they were told about the game wasn't even close to what the game actually was. It wasn't that the game was simply disappointing and not as good as it could have been, Sean said things about huge and core aspects to the gameplay and world that even this update and all the previous ones still don't have and never once tried to temper anyones expectations on what the game was actually going to be.

Now the rational response to that is to naturally be upset that you spent 60$ on a game that was completely different then what you told it was going to be and say 'well I'm never buying anything from this company again' and move on. Thats what I did, thats what a lot of people did. It's also completely rational to bitch about it online or with friends because its frustrating you wasted your hard earned money on such a thing. It's also natural to want your money back on a product that was at the very clear not represented correctly. Those are all normal and understandable reactions, harassing and threatening Sean or any developer or publisher is not. Yes gaming fanbases are toxic, almost all of nerd cultures fan bases are toxic if not the internet in general and I don't know what I or anyone else can do to fix it.

What I won't do is give a developer or publisher a pass because of it. I'm not saying that they should be shut down or anything like that but I think Sean should admit what he did and why and apologize for it (something that he hasn't really done even still to this day, only made excuses unless thats in one of these new interviews that I haven't had a chance to read through yet) and at the time when the game came out and when people were upset there should have been better ways to refund peoples purchases of the game, I was able to return mine on steam but I know plenty of people that weren't and were very bitter about it. I don't think wanting that is in any way unreasonable and in general is something I would expect from any other company gaming or otherwise if they did the same thing.

I get that you want to focus on just the toxicity and the threats that were made and you should but I can't just ignore the things that Sean did wrong as well.

Comment

Think the most Murray has done is say he wishes he didn't talk about all these features so early, as he didn't know at the time that some of those wouldn't end up in the game at launch. I'm pretty sure there are some video interviews of him saying these things in the weeks running up to launch though, so that excuse doesn't cut it. I also find it super fascinating how he has essentially gone into hiding, other than posting blog entries on the playstation blog and tweeting stuffs, I don't think we've seen his face. Some of the recent interviews (Eurogamer) have asked him straight if he lied, but I want to see his **** eating grin answer that in real time.

I remember enjoying the game somewhat, but put it down when it became clear the only thing you do is increase your inventory space by doing repetitive, buggy things. I remember waypoints being broken for crashed ships for example. These latest updates, plus the fact that it runs at 60fps with all the graphics on PS4Pro have made me interested in playing again. Picked up a used copy on Game for a tenner.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgear View Post
                          But it also touches upon this fallacy that ignorant, toxic and illegal behaviour somehow begins and ends with videogame fans.
                          This is a great example of internet tribalism.

It's like there are only two viewpoints. If you're okay with it, you're supposedly fine with anti-consumer practices. If you're not okay with it, you want to burn down the developer's offices and dance on their graves.

Where's the camp for "neither"? I.e. that developer said things about the game that were known to be untrue, because he knew that it was wiser not to "rock the boat" because the hype train was at full steam and he was going to make a load of money, and some of us weren't impressed by that and won't ever buy their games? Y'know, the "reasonable" negative point of view.

The problem is that the people at the polarised ends of the argument make holding any reasonable opinion untenable. You kinda have three choices; express an extreme opinion on either side and gain support from that crowd, or express no opinion at all. A reasonable opinion just sees both sides stomp on you.

Comment

I'd have a love hate relationship with this game. I think it's technically a very good game. Nothing gives me a greater sense of being an off world explorer. However, there just isn't enough going on to keep me hooked. Its like having Skyrim but it's completely based around chopping wood. I want more.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              This is a great example of internet tribalism.
                              Indeed. 'Era seems to be really bad for this viewpoint. I do think you can be both critical of something or someone, whilst finding behaviour like threats abhorrent.

However for many this seems to serve as an another example of 'toxicity' as if it only happens with 'gamers'. People like Leigh Alexander, that former Assassin's Creed Dev and the lots of commentators following the recent Arenanet incident. The reality is it happens with anything on Twitter/social networks/online. You only have to look at the Labour MP who who talked about receiving 600 death threats, or the the reaction once Sue Perkins was rumoured to be the new presenter of Top Gear, amongst other numerous examples. It isn't just gaming that has this problem.
                              Last edited by Digfox; 21-07-2018, 16:41.

Comment

I seriously don't understand how people can talk to others that way.
                                It must be the safety of anonymity.

I loved it when YouTuber, Alanah Pearce, started contacting the mothers of boys who had sent her threatening messages:

Comment

Working...
                                X