Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Man's Sky from Hello Games (HAS to be seen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Man's Sky from Hello Games (HAS to be seen)

Well this was debuted on VGX awards show and basically stole the show, sod titanfall.

A 4 man team has made this....

“If you see the stars, those are real stars, they have their own planets around them, and you can go there,”

“It’s a science-fiction game, but it’s not like most other sci-fi games. We set out to make a game that challenges what it means to be next-gen, and what it means to be an indie title. It’s going to mess with people’s perceptions of Hello Games, and I have no idea how people will react. It’s different, and pretty much the furthest thing from what we’ve done before.”
    Shut up and take my money.
    No Man’s Sky is a game about exploration and survival in an infinite procedurally generated galaxy, available on PS4, PC and Xbox One. Now with massively expanded multiplayer.

Also featured music from 65 days of static, track is Debutante.
    Last edited by Family Fry; 08-12-2013, 13:18.

This gets mad props for having a 65dos track in the trailer (Binary Domain won some early brownie points for this reason too).

Comment

It looks more like a tech-demo than a game.

If it was by a major studio I'd think it's an early alpha/beta look and be excited but the words "4 man team" scream that it's either going to be buggy as hell or that it'll come out in 2018 looking only vaguely like that :/

Comment

It certainly seems ambitious for a 4 man group.

I don't think the presenter understood what "generated" meant though. Just because you can access any point you can see doesn't mean there will be stuff to do there for example. Although, that could also be generated - though it may be like an MMO in that you'll be limited to certain types of activities and do them over and over.

Still, would be interested in giving it a punt. Not expecting anything but it seems like it may be a fun world to explore.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          I don't think the presenter understood what "generated" meant though. Just because you can access any point you can see doesn't mean there will be stuff to do there for example.
          My thoughts exactly. Completely unique planets and asteroid fields devoid of any unique mission. A lot of "open world" space sims tried their hand at a massive universe (procedurally generated or not) and ended up in being boring in the long run. Sometimes it's better to have a rigid structure but always give the player something peculiar to do.

Comment

I don't know the exact staff count but Hello Games is not just 4 people. I know people that have gone to work there.

Comment

The video is now private but you can find another version on YouTube. Anyway, I don't think it looks all that impressive on a graphical stand point. It doesn't look that much better from the 360 or PS3. I was way more impressed seeing GTA5 for the first time. As for open world randomly generated, well........ Virtual Hydlide, Sega Saturn

Comment

Looks impressive to me but the first thing I thought was cool, but what do I do? I'll get bored just flying around/ exploring planets, even if there are enemies- if there's no point in doing any of it I don't really care.

Comment

Originally posted by Synthesthesia View Post
                  Looks impressive to me but the first thing I thought was cool, but what do I do? I'll get bored just flying around/ exploring planets, even if there are enemies- if there's no point in doing any of it I don't really care.
                  Same here. Of course this sounds and looks cool, but flying around in massive empty space (because space is massive and empty) is going to get old quickly unless there's also tons and tons of interesting things to do.

Comment

Definitely. The concept definitely appeals to me, in the same way spore did (which I never ended up playing because once it was released it looked not too great). But I need to see that it's more than just an empty playground.

It'd be cool if there were God game elements to it, colonise planets etc and manage their ecosystems/ layout. Doesn't look like that, but it would be awesome to get a game like that. Imagine say taking an animal from a completely different ecosystem and just letting it wreak havok on a planet not designed to cope with it. Could be awesome.

Comment

Looks very cool, they just need to ditch the instagram filter that's playing with all the colours.

Comment

Rock Paper Shotgun do a first look and interview with the team.
                        They mention they will get compared with DayZ, Minecraft, Dark Souls and Journey.

“I hate doing this, but it is the simplest way to give people hooks for the game. Games that we will get compared to, rather than I would compare us to, would be Minecraft, DayZ, but also Dark Souls to an extent and probably Journey.”
                        No Man's Sky's trailer, first broadcast on December 7th as part of the Spike VGX awards, opens by stating that the game…

Comment

What a bull****ter. "People are going to compare our game to 4 of the most popular, creative and innovative titles out there (but I wouldn't)."

Comment

Who are you to call him a bull****ter? 2 of those games where built with small teams. Reading that interview apart from coming over quite cocky at the start it does explain well why they choose those established games to explain to the mainstream why they should be interested.

I for one would like to see a little ambition in my next gen games even if they fail to deliver in the end, it just means I won't buy it.

Comment

Who are you to ask who I am to call him a bull****ter? I didn't read the link. That sentence is pure PR ****e so I wasn't interested in the rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X