Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It basically is the calm lands.

And yeah 12 is without a doubt the best rpg period.

Comment

10 & 13 were both rubbish especially 13 but at least 10 had loads of side quests and extras including extra dungeons but as a game it was pretty rubbish.

12 was also rubbish but in a different way to 10 & 13. It was overrated and felt unfinished. The plot was average and unfinished and you very regularly went ages through the game without any kind of plot development and despite the fact that progress through the game no longer felt like it was on a piece of string there STILL wasn't a proper 3D world map which meant you still felt restricted . Bar Balthier the characters were rubbish, the bad guys were rubbish and there were no sidequests or mini games after you had finished the game like there were before with the exception of a basic rare monster sidequest which was just a normal monster in a different colour palette. Even Matsuno himself said the plot of FF12 was underdeveloped and unfinished. It often at times felt like a MMOfflineRPG with so much of the gameworld being empty and unpopulated. The licence board was also to simple and easy to fully uncover.

There were a few positives mind. The graphics were lovely for the PS2, some of the music was fantastic and i felt the battle system was the best of all time. In fact since FF12 i have been unable to like other RPG battle systems because they feel slow and dull in comparison.

I feel Final Fantasy IX was the last great Final Fantasy game and the sun setting on the golden age of the JRPG generation and i wish they went back to that type of colourful fantasy esque style with a proper world map and coherent gameworld with tons of sidequests.

Comment

Another vote for FF12 here. It was not only brilliant, but a vital step for the JRPG genre.

The genre needed to progrsss somehow, move beyond the relatively linear story-based gamer design and turn-based battle structure in order to avoid being left behind like so many other genres of old. FF12 wasn't perfect, but it presented a template that others could potentially use. It stll felt like a Japanese RPG, but it actually felt like it was a massive world to explore, the battle system was much more open and interesting now that battles weren't self-contained instances. And it did all of this while still managing to provide a progressive storyline with somewht interesting characters - something that western RPGs struggle with.

Unfortunately, people hate changde so people hated it, Squeenix went the complete other direction with FF13 and the genre is now irrelevent.

Comment

I've said this often here but FFXII is my favorite FF after FFIX. While the story was indeed a bit underwhelming, the gameplay was great. For some reason I've played it three times through, although the first time was the least interesting. The battle system is great. I suggest trying the International "Zodiac Job System" version where it restricts the character to one class. It mixes things up a bit. It would be nice that the game would give an option. If you have the option, there's an English patch for the game which makes it more playable.

I hope S-E makes an HD remake where you have that option and all the small updates made to the game in the International version.
          Last edited by danholo; 19-08-2014, 11:38.

Comment

The only thing wrong with FFXII is that square got the idiotic and grubby hands on it.

They wanted teen characters and more poncey melodrama. Hence Vaan and the plot not being finished.

When you look at other Matsuno games, the plot was always a strong part.

Comment

Some serious issues with the latest PS4 release of this, for anyone thinking of picking it up. There's more bugs popping up every day, like the Perseverance trophy (for defeating Penance) popping up in random battles. It looks lovely though, really hope they put out a patch.

Hot off the heels of last year's excellent PlayStation 3 and Vita remaster package, Final Fantasy X and X-2 land on Pla…

Comment

I'll probably pick this up on PS4 if it goes cheap.
                Am I right in assuming both games are disc based?

Comment

Yes sir!

Comment

They really need sort this **** out with trophies not working properly. I mean, how hard can it be? Half the games out there have glitched trophies. It's pathetic.

Comment

I bought this for the steelbook only :/ Triple dipping after I have the Vita and PS3 versions. I spent 150-200 hours on it and vowed never again, but that steelbook was so nice

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                        I bought this for the steelbook only :/ Triple dipping after I have the Vita and PS3 versions. I spent 150-200 hours on it and vowed never again, but that steelbook was so nice
                        I know this feeling

Comment

As do I (although the PS3 and vita versions have since been sold)

Comment

FFX is my favourite FF game. I've got the Asian English version on the way. I'm not sure that I want to go through it for a fourth time, but at least I can port my Vita save over. I've only bought it because it doesn't work on PS TV, even though it blatantly says it does on the back of the box.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Looks like a patch to fix the RNG/Music bug is finally coming. Yay!

We are aware of the audio and RNG bugs in Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster on PS4 and rest assured that we are in the process of creating a patch to fix them.
                              Details on timing will come soon. We’re sorry about the bugs but this is your story and we want you to be happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                                Looks like a patch to fix the RNG/Music bug is finally coming. Yay!

https://www.facebook.com/FinalFantas...type=1&theater
                                Sounds good enjoying playing this off and on again. X especially such a beautiful and pretty game really enjoy the Remastered music and touch ups still cannot believe the game is 15 years old!

Comment

Working...
                                X