X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure, I absolutely agree.

Edit: Unnecessary snark withdrawn.
    Last edited by Dogg Thang; 06-09-2019, 13:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Sure, I absolutely agree. Sorry, I missed the post where you acknowledged it as a good thing and you are now full of joy. Must be in that same place on the internet where Nintendo promised GBA games on the 3DS.
      Or maybe it’s in the place where you’re enough of an arrogant deluded bellend to seriously believe that your opinions on here are the leading authority on everything and that nobody else could possibly have an opinion? Or is it in the place where you somehow believe you have the inside track on what “PR” Nintendo employ for announcing Smash Bros. characters? You seem to be enough of a childish fanboy given how you defend them at every turn.

Try looking there.

Comment

Woah, woah, woah.

Everyone chillax, take a walk around the block and come back all civil, please.

Comment

...and of course, he’s now withdrawn his snide. He is a clown.

I’m not withdrawing mine. Mods will do as they wish.

Comment

I know I should be more forgiving of Nintendo for cheaping out on their service, they get 3 passes just for revealing Deadly Premonition 2

Comment

Is Overwatch just like the modern Quake 3? So kind of another Fortnite? Or am I completely wrong about all that?
              Fortnite is more like the modern Team Fortress 2, mixed in with a bit of League of Legends.

It's a multiplayer-focused FPS where you pick a character who has specific weapons/abilities, and you do things like carry a payload to a destination (so in that respect it's like Team Fortress 2) over short matches.

The element of League of Legends/MOBA games it borrows is that the characters are numerous and their abilities are extremely varied, but some of them have cooldowns and can only be used every so often, including an "ultimate" ability which can rarely be used but is usually the ultimate expression of what that character is all about.

Prior to Fortnite taking off, there was a brief period where it was thought this genre of games - called the "hero shooter" - was going to be a really big deal. Arguably Super Monday Night Combat was the first one, I think, but it came of age when Battleborn, Paladins and Overwatch all got released in a relatively short stretch.

Then, as other posts have said, PUBG came along and surprised everyone, then Fortnite copied its basic formula and made it free.

Comment

Cool. And so is Overwatch very similar to your description of Fortnite there or does it differ?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                  Or maybe it’s in the place where you’re enough of an arrogant deluded bellend to seriously believe that your opinions on here are the leading authority on everything and that nobody else could possibly have an opinion? Or is it in the place where you somehow believe you have the inside track on what “PR” Nintendo employ for announcing Smash Bros. characters? You seem to be enough of a childish fanboy given how you defend them at every turn.

Try looking there.
                  (hides Nintendo bed sheets)

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post

Zaki, you’re alright. No probs with you, mate!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                      Princess Peach?

Comment

Shy Guy!

Comment

I'm kind of already bracing for the arrival of whatever the NEXT BIG THING is after Fortnite. These bubbles always seem to be big but short lived and though Epic regularly have new seasons rolling out with tweaks etc it's also very stagnant in forever having just one map in effect making it easier for something shiny and new to feel fresh and steal the limelight. The next-gen transition has got to be a concern, maybe they'll foster it enough to pull off a Rocket League where it's still in play but no longer noteworthy news.

Comment

Cool. And so is Overwatch very similar to your description of Fortnite there or does it differ?
                            No, Fortnite is totally different.

Fortnite is actually a third-person game. It started life as a game where (to give the briefest summary) as a team of players, during the day you scrounge for weapons/resources and build defensive structures (i.e. forts) and when night falls, you get attacked by enemies who will try to destroy your structures to get to you (i.e. nite) - hence the name.

However, it wasn't a success. It was a paid game that Epic had intended to later make free-to-play, but it under-performed. That being said, it did succeed at something right away, namely that it was something of a tech demo for the Unreal Engine's new flexibility (for technical reasons it was a good demo).

PUBG then came out, and Epic basically ripped off the core concept (which was a bit of a sore spot, as PUBG was made in Unreal too) and adapted it relaunch their existing, failing Fortnite game. I believe originally this was just a thing intended to advertise the original Fortnite. They kept the core controls, appearance and some other stuff, but the game now worked like PUBG.

Those games are multiplayer shooters where you might have >100 players. They all get dropped off on an island, and have to kill each other until 1 person remains, who wins. Also, to ensure this, there's a circle on the map a "storm" which continually gets smaller and smaller, if players touch the edge, they die, so it forces everyone together, and prevents too much camping.

To be honest, both PUBG and Fortnite are great fun. However that isn't the sole reason they were big. It happened because Fortnite existed as the perfect confluence of several events. First, it was because you had a generation of kids who had grown up playing freemium games on phones, who wanted something a bit more in-depth, but don't consider paying for videogames as the norm.

Secondly, though, these kids are also centre-of-the-bullseye for the Twitch audience, and Fortnite is the perfect streamer game. Although we might appreciate the difference, to the casual viewer, every round of Street Fighter is basically the same - but every game of Fortnite can be vastly different. Where the players are dropped, what weapons you find... Sometimes you last for ages, sometimes you die in seconds - you land in the middle of nowhere and you're staring down a guy who landed on a gatling gun - but that's also kinda funny and a big part of why the game works.

Thirdly, these kids grew up watching seasonal shows on Netflix, and Fortnite has a seasonal model where different stuff happens in-game every few months. There was a season a while back where Thanos from the MCU shows up and snaps his fingers, killing half the players. There was a season with an "evil Christmas" theme. All sorts of things can happen because the game's rules are so loose.

If it sounds like I'm a bit in-deep with this, that's because I am. The game's success is a combination of luck and genuine genius.

Comment

I still know nothing about Overwatch! But actually I didn't know much about Fortnite either so this is all interesting stuff, thank you.

Comment

Charles is Mr Overwatch. Fairly sure he speaks highly of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X