Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your Internet connection speed a.k.a. How big is my pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank, Adam. I'll try this later in the week.

Comment

Out internet is now running at the house and on speed test we're getting a consistent 89-93mps. We're on their 200mbs service though so should get higher than that however as the PC has yet to make the move the benchmarking is being done on a 10 or so year old laptop. Am I correct in thinking this would affect the results due to the specs of the laptop and its network card? If so, the real test will be when the PC moves in

Comment

Mine gives 45mb wireless and 90mb wired.

Comment

I'm on BT Connect still, getting rock solid 5Mb+, usually around 6.4 however upload stinks and ping is utterly random, going from 90 to 450 in consecutive CS:GO games. Ping and upload are the most important things to my eldest son as he is putting garbage on youtube and playing CS e'ryday. I am old enough to remember the days of dial up, so I'm totally content with a small load waiting for huge images and .gifs to load.

Just found out last week that BT have upgraded our exchange to be fibre ready and they'll be accepting orders 'sometime within the next four months' - this is the moment I've been waiting for for ten years. It seems that every two bit village within 25 miles has fibre and ours is the last of the last, but it's almost here at last. I don't care what it costs, I'm getting whatever package has a decent upload speed and no cap, day one.

Comment

Having a decent connection now allows me to upload youtube videos quicker...twitch streaming and playing games online at the same time it is awesome

Comment

Still rocking 17MB, just waiting for my 76MB order to go through. I have no requirement for that kind of speed, apart from the decent upload speed.

Comment

Several tests later and it's still holding at around 92mbs. There definitely seems to be a chance the aged tech of the laptop could be capping it at that so I'm going to have to wait a fortnight to get the PC to the house and try and max the speed out. If it won't go higher it'll be time to contact VirginMedia.

Comment

You have failed me for the last time Admiral BT...

So, is Zen Internet any good? Anyone here with them?

Any other recommendations?

Cheers.

Comment

I’m getting between 50 and 55Mbps down and around 3Mbps up from the tests I’ve just performed. That’s with Virgin Media.

Comment

Customer service good? Stability of connection?

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                        Here's mine at the moment, via Sky.

Jesus this thread is depressing.

Comment

Thankfully I haven’t had to contact their customer service since moving into the new house.

Comment

My olde olde address was with virgin cable around 2012, always had solid connection and had great speeds even back than. I moved into city centre, now in a new build property and they obviously didn’t cable the area and the cabinet that serves the area isn’t high speed.
                            This was 2014, 4 years later they are still “looking at options” saddest thing is I can tether my 4G Mobile to my consoles and get speeds of around 30mb and 10mb upload.

Comment

Speed isn't a problem, 68 down, 19 up. It's BT as an organisation. They couldn't work out why my connection kept dropping (August last year) so sent me a new hub. I have just noticed they charged me 50 quid for the privilege. I was then told the only way to complain was by phone. I challenged this, asking how deaf people were supposed to complain and was told that's just the way it is. Anyway, turns out I can complain by letter.

Also they are expensive. Zen are a tenner cheaper and I see 90% excellent reviews for them, was just hoping a trustworthy forumite might confirm. Will look at Virgin in the meantime.

Cheers.

Comment

What are Zen like for speeds? Is it a fact that without Virgin or fibre you're screwed for speed? I always had cable but need a new provider. I'm looking at cost and worried about speeds especially upload speed. Is Sky any good? I heard Plusnet or something is decent. A friend uses Vodafone.

I've heard bad things about BT for years but using it at someone's temporarily it wasn't that bad although actually the wifi would just die unexpectedly at random times that's completely bogus. Seemed to be no fix either. I used to be wired only but decent wifi is a plus.

Does anyone have any advice? Another site I was browsing mentioned that most providers raise the price after 12 months and you have to threaten to leave. Wish I could just have my old connection here but that's not possible.

Brad, if you get no issues then Virgin is probably the best provider IMHO.

Also, I log in to post here but then I get a message that I can't post and notice I'm logged out again. I haven't cleared cookies so what's going on? It's driving me nuts due to my other net issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X