Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your Internet connection speed a.k.a. How big is my pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post your Internet connection speed a.k.a. How big is my pipe?

Company - NTT / OCN (Open Computer Network)
    Connection speed - 1GBPS
    Data allowance - Unlimited with no speed caps
    Price - 3000 yen per month (about 17 GBP)

So yesterday the guys from NTT came around my house to replace my 100MB connection with a 1GB connection. The problem was though that they had to install a new cable system since we are the first in this area to have the new system BUT the truck with the crane on had a hard time fitting down the private road to the side of my home. Just look at how tight it was!

here's the guy connecting the new cable to the house in the cold. The poor bugger.

Anyway, my old connection would allow up to 50 odd MBPS downloads even though it was meant to be a 100MBPS connection. That's about half but this so called 1GB connection is less than a quarter of what it should be. I can't find any speed test servers that can handle the speed. The best I could find in this country was a base in Tokyo which came back with the following results.

What's odd is it seems to think I live 50 miles away from Tokyo when it's actually a few hundred miles away.

This base in China gave better download speeds but pretty much the same upload speeds.

Does anyone know of a server in the world that can handle fast speeds for testing.?

Anyway, post your internet speed and who you are with.
    Last edited by Yakumo; 09-02-2014, 02:33.

There you go, rubbing it in that you live in the future lol

Back in the 3rd world on virgin media im getting

Although i do seem to have unlimited data allowance as i have totally abused my bittorrent for crazy amounts of gigs worth of downloads & they have never complained at me once lol

Comment

I'd kill for 20meg!

Comment

LOL it's true what they say, there's always someone worse off. Suddenly i don't feel so bad hehe

Comment

Company - Swisscom
          Connection speed - 20MB/s
          Data allowance - Unlimited with no speed caps
          Price - 125CHF/month (includes normal telephone and cable TV)

Comment

1Gbs surely Yakumo!? Or are you really getting 1 gigabyte per second? Like you could download a bluray in sub 30 seconds?

Edit: my connection is about the same as neo dragon's

Comment

1Gb. I used to have the same via FLETS Hikari fibreoptic.

Comment

Mine is same as importaku and yes no capping on Virgin 20mb line in the last six months, can download 10GB and still be at full pelt, not capped back like it used to be. Fingers crossed for a free speed bump from Virgin at some point this year.

Comment

Charles mumbles obscenities at Yakumo (6Mb here). The problem is that HDDs can't go that fast so it's all a bit theoretical

Comment

Mines 5-10mbs BT (could not get Virgin in the area). Apparently Fibre optic being installed end of the month not sure how fast that will make it after. So jealous of 1GB per second Yakumo, my parents in law also have rapid fibre optic internet in Japan not sure how fast, but I could watch a full screen 1080p YT vid with no wait which was impressive.

Comment

On my former O2 ADSL2 connection, now looked after by Sky (eugh):

Tethered to my 4G iPhone 5 on EE:

I'd switch to my 4G connection permanently if it wasn't for the 2GB data cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        1Gbs surely Yakumo!? Or are you really getting 1 gigabyte per second? Like you could download a bluray in sub 30 seconds?
                        Yep, it's true. Compared to South Korea that's not so fast. South Korea has 2GBPS connections!!

Charles mumbles obscenities at Yakumo (6Mb here). The problem is that HDDs can't go that fast so it's all a bit theoretical
                        That's what I though so I did a test today with HuLu. I had my desk top, lap top, 360, Nexus, android phone and wife's lap top all streaming different 1080p movies from HuLu and the Wii streaming just a 480p movie also from HuLu. Nothing stopped to buffer even after 30 minutes of run time. That's 6 HD movies and one 480p movie streaming at the same time. that surly must have been using at least a few hundred MBPS.

But yeah, such a fast connection is pretty pointless at the moment but it will be handy for the future when 4K becomes common place.
                        Last edited by Yakumo; 09-02-2014, 09:39.

Comment

I'm connected wirelessly on an ageing desktop running Windows XP. I'm sure the results would be better on a different setup.

Still, not bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                            I'm connected wirelessly on an ageing desktop running Windows XP. I'm sure the results would be better on a different setup.
                            Hah, exactly the same here!

Here's mine:

Price: 9.99€/month at the moment. (?8.30)

Well, at least not the slowest here.
                            Last edited by Guts; 09-02-2014, 10:38.

Comment

1 Gb is insane - the rest of the internet can't cope with that - I get a decent speed and servers struggle to cope with that.

Vivaciti are excellent on support and connection but I do pay a premium price for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X