Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Chipshop 2000 in Liverpool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
    I remember the CEX adverts that appeared in Mean Machines and C&VG… they were pretty bonkers. I wonder who the artist was?

Did it look like the 'Mean Yob' art? I have vague memories.

Comment

I always liked Mean Yob in his mecha suit.

Comment

Now I remember. Those comic strip adverts were great.

I remember the Whitfield Street shop being quite small and cramped, but it was always busy. I loved hanging around watching people buy the latest games and talking to staff. All of this is another part of old school gaming culture people miss. It's little wonder there's so much nostalgia for those days.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

(Rathbone Place. It had a 'retro' basement in the late 90s onwards)

That's where CEX was before moving to Rathbone Place.
          Yes, Whitfield Street opened a year before Rathbone Place. Whitfield Street eventually became solely dedicated to retro gaming before it closed though (I vividy remember this being the case) with Rathbone being all about import gaming before Nintendo hit them with a cease and desist.
          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 11-05-2019, 07:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            Whitfield Street eventually became solely dedicated to retro gaming before it closed though (I vividy remember this being the case) with Rathbone being all about import gaming before Nintendo hit them with a cease and desist.
            I always thought the Whitfield Street shop was history after the one in Rathbone Place opened. The basement in the Rathbone shop was dedicated to retro and PC gaming in the late 90s onwards. I remember not being at all interested in retro stuff at the time -- but little did I know how big the retro scene would be a decade or so later. I would have bought 20 AES games for £50 each.

As much as I didn't spend much money in CEX, I have very fond memories of hanging around the shop throughout the 90s. It was a 'go-to' place when I visited the West End. I also enjoyed exploring the tech shops in Tottenham Court Road, which was just around the corner. Great times.

Comment

I always thought the Whitfield Street shop was history after the one in Rathbone Place opened.
              Nope. It stayed opened for a few more years after but closed for good sometime between 1999 and 2001 (I might have that timeline wrong - cannot remember).

The basement in the Rathbone shop was dedicated to retro and PC gaming in the late 90s onwards..
              Yes, once the Whitfield Street shop (which by that point was maining retro) closed. The PC stuff then also moved to the TCR store.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                Nope. It stayed opened for a few more years after but closed for good sometime between 1999 and 2001 (I might have that timeline wrong - cannot remember).
                I wish I had known it was still open. I just thought it had moved to Rathbone Place. I didn't like wandering down to Whitfield Street though, as Rathbone Place was easier to get to.

I also remember Shekhana in Tottenham Court Road, where a friend bought an import SNES.

Those Neo Geo prices look very reasonable.

Comment

wow this thread back from the dead. Was just think about this shop. They used to be a bit if a rip off but I used to buy a lot of gear from them.

Trying to find an old memory of the CVG gaming challenge from the HMV in town in 1999 that I won but can't find any online references. Was for Sega Rally 2 on the DC. I remember buying the DC and the game from Chipshop 2000 to help win that comp. Had my pic in the magazine and local paper.

Comment

I got Sega Rally 2 there too, and a VMU. Can't remember where I ordered my DC from though- somewhere out of the back of CVG I think.

Comment

Wow this thread has got me thinking about all the great shops in Nottm. CTW games, Robin Hood Computers, Software + and others whose names escape me for now. I remember buying my JPN model Dreamcast in Another World Derby one week before the official pal release and the guys in the shop thinking I was mad. I never regretted it and even got a mod chip fitted through the Nottingham shop as soon as they were available. I still have that dreamcast now. Although its having a well earned rest as I got a newer model with a USB-GD-ROM. But even by 2001 these shops were dying and I was importing my Xbox games from DVD box office in Canada. So although I miss my Saturdays trawling round all these shops I am to blame too!

Comment

I found the CVG magazine bit of me winning the Liverpool heat back in July 1999. https://archive.org/details/Computer...es_GB/page/n83 Almost lost in time lol.

Comment

Alright I was an old timer that hung out at the following:

Spectrum (pre Bits n Bytes Bold Street)
                          Bits n Bytes (Central Station)
                          City Software on Ranelagh St(Lee and Ken worked there. Martin and Alan used to hang out) -> Amiga, ST and VHS scene
                          Microbytes St Johns Market, above Beatties (Lee and Ken worked there. Martin and Alan used to hang out) -> Amiga, ST and VHS scene

I am still in contact with Lee and Ken. I used to hang out at Alladin's Palace to gamble and was one of the few hard core Street Fighter 2 players. I spent loads at Alladins and Las Vegas. The person "Sanjeev" that posted on the earlier pages I am 95% sure I know who you are. This is a huge trip down memory lane.

If these names sound familiar then you should know me: Ken, Lee, Dave, Ronnie, Stoo, Paul, Kevin

Here is the layout of the stores (will do a Microbytes one later).

Last edited by Staxx; 07-11-2019, 00:28.

Comment

Wow, Lime Street is unrecognisable now compared with that photo! That's how I remember it as a kid.

Comment

Wow, I remember that. I was 11 back then. The Cannon (or was it still the ABC at that time) was still open then as well. I remember seeing Never Ending Story there on the main screen. There used to be another cinema too called the 051 near the hotel on limestreet close to Lewis's department store. Saw Fox and the Hound there as a young boy. Must have been about 7 or 8.

Comment

What a great thread!!!!!

"Andre the Giant" AKA "Dash Crimson"*.

Made me chuckle and feel love, it did.

*love how they got back on this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X