The Matrix: Resurrections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

“Ready Player One” screenwriter Zak Penn has worked on many major franchises in his time from “X-Men” to “Avengers” to “Thor,” but one project he’s attached to is making even him nervous – the next story in “The Matrix” film universe. Speaking with Screen Rant this week, where he also revealed he penned a “Suicide […]

Zak Penn, screenwriter for Ready Player One, has said he's still working on Matrix 4 and is very keen to get it moving at Warners.

Comment

I definitely think there are more stories to tell. It's such a great premise.
        It's interesting that the guy who wrote a screenplay about a good virtual reality system, is also writing about an evil virtual reality system.

I hope they tap into what made the first film so good as by the end of the series, it was tripping up over itself.

It's interesting that time hasn't been particularly kind to The Matrix. Many people saw them all but don't rate them highly any more or lump the two sequels together.

I've ranted on here before, but of the three films, it's Reloaded I've seen the most. I struggle with some scenes (rave/sex) but I have to love a film that brought us such amazing action sequences like "Upgrades", Burly Brawl, Merovingian Chateau, Freeway Chase and saving Trinity. Most action films don't have more than one memorable sequence, let a lone some existential meat to chew on afterwards.

The Burly Brawl is something I'd wanted to see for ages - one man against multiple foes using martial arts. It's like Dynasty Warriors or Arkham Asylum!

(spoilers)
        Revolutions really did have very little going for it. The Super Burly Brawl played out like Super Smash Bros. and Neo was missing for large chunks of the film. The nightclub scene felt like a rehash and all the things I liked about the characters was undone. Neo blinded in the real world and ineffective against Smith in the Matrix. Morpheus reduced to cabin boy after being so prominent before. The death of Trinity won that year's Alien3 award for undoing all the good work in the previous film by killing off characters that had a large amount of screen time invested in saving them.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Burly Brawl,
          I never understood the praise that this receives.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            I never understood the praise that this receives.
            It all looks like plastic.

Comment

Yep, same. It just looks all CG which sucks the impressiveness from it. It's like CGing a card trick.

Comment

Stop ganging up on me, you bell ends.

I thought you three were my mates.

*picks up ball and strops home*

Comment

Sorry. Don’t go. I love that sequence really.

Comment

It was a product of it's time really and though the original is the best entry it's also aged. For a new film to work I think whilst it could be canonically about the next 'One' it would need to be mostly a reboot as the tone and execution of the original trilogy wouldn't carry any more. Plus, taking a lead from the Reeves connection, they could do with one of the guys behind John Wick at the helm. The non-bullet-time effects driven sequences should still look technically impressive but not overly choreographed.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      Stop ganging up on me, you bell ends.

I thought you three were my mates.

*picks up ball and strops home*
                      You ok hon?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
                        You ok hon?
                        Heh!

I do actually agree that the effects have aged in the Burly Brawl.
                        When I first saw it at the cinema, I was so entranced, I didn't see it, but on later viewings it's really easy to spot.
                        As the scene goes on, there's less real action and more CGI.
                        There's something about 90s CGI that looks fake. It's the lighting that does it.

Still, it's a great scene for me. The crows scattering as Smith appears, the dramatic music when the battle kicks off, the skittles sound effect, wrenching the road sign out of the floor and using it like a bo staff with a Bruce Lee beckon and "more!"

Comment

Not going to lie here. Teenage Zaki enjoyed part 2 very much. But teenage me absolutely hated the third film. Absolute wank.
                          Last edited by Zaki; 20-03-2018, 14:16.

Comment

I hated films 2 and 3. I try not to think about them. I liked the robot defence scene in the third one, but that's just because I really like anime robots. I thought it was a terrible fit for the movie.

Comment

You hated 2 and 3?!

All of those things I listed about Reloaded didn't excite you or make you think you'd never seen something like that before, you just hated the whole film?

Agree about Revolutions being terrible and the highlight being the mech fight, though. That was quite exciting, but it was a rare peak amongst a lot of troughs.

I really wanted to like Revolutions, but so much of it was unsatisfactory and felt like people trying to make a copycat film but missing what made the original so good.

I lost faith in the Wachowski siblings after that, I guess as I've still not seen Cloud Atlas or Jupiter Ascending.
                              The former is on Amazon Prime (there's no 3D version) and the latter is about £6 on 3D Blu-Ray at CEX.
                              Maybe I should give 'em a whirl.

Comment

I still stand by my preference for Revelations over Reloaded. The final film is dumb mess but at least has the benefit of going to something in the end, the second film was the same mess but without any worthwhile direction merely padding it all out to the third. Never should have had a back-to-back development.

Also - Wachowski's have never made anything decent since Matrix 1. The only leeway I give them on that is Speed Racer. It's a bad film but it's worth sitting through for the pay off of the final race. That final race... man, it's the only time they've come close again. It's just great.

Comment

Working...
                                X