No announcement yet.

The Matrix: Resurrections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thing is, it has some good reviews. I still want to see it. But everyone I know who has seen it has really disliked it. The Matrix is such a weird one. I have always maintained since those first sequels that the Wachowskis didn't quite realise what was great about the first movie. They missed the hook of their own movie.

Comment

Yep, there's definitely potential for Warner Bros (big chance of failure too) to get someone involved who has a proper interest in the franchise and to take Resurrections plot and launch it into a compelling and quality fifth film. There are so many threads and plot holes to be expanded upon now but that's part of the issue given Lana wants the fourth film to be the finale meaning in that context it's an outright failure.

I think, given there's a clear issue in audience loss too, I'd like to see something akin to a The Matrix Rebooted. Something where the Matrix reacts to the power and control Neo and Trinity have over it, reverting itself back to reject their influence and launching it's own type of anti-virus against them - like a Super Agent Smith. It'd be largely a retread/resetting of the board but it would give Neo a credible threat and allow them to re-establish the aesthetic and scenario to build on where there's a credible conflict in the film. One where it's clear that the Architect plan for the Matrix has failed, one where the normal people are starting to find it hard to ignore the immense events happening around them and that even Neo's vision for the Matrix doesn't work and so it has to come to a head.

Comment

I think any of my approaches would steer well clear of any mentions of the Architect and especially Agent Smith, who for me became a totally unnecessary distraction when he was just one obstacle in the original movie. You know, when they put one of us in charge of the franchisee.

Comment

Ideally yep but that's part of the trouble of Resurrections, it tries to give the franchise a new ending by unresolving everything and splaying it all out so a sequel would still have to deal with them. I think that's one of the reasons it's not gone down well, it feels like it exists solely for the purpose of one plot point that ignores the damage it does to all the others.

Comment

Just got back from seeing it and I really enjoyed it *shrug*.

Not without its faults, but I really enjoyed the meta reference spotting in the first half and not knowing what was going on.

Personally I enjoyed the opportunity to have a different ending after investing so much in the characters, but I also hated AlienĀ³ bumping off characters from Aliens in the first 5 minutes.

There's a really telling sequence where Mr. Anderson is told that Warner Brothers want a sequel to The Matrix (game) and they're going to make one whether he's involved or not, and it really felt like Lana Wachowski was talking to the viewer. I would rather watch a Matrix sequel with her involved, rather than a by-the-numbers committee decided effort.

Definitely lacks the gravitas of the originals, but loved the opportunity to spend a bit more time with Neo and Trinity.

Comment

I didn’t like that meta WB scene. It was so on the nose that I was convinced Lana would do a sequel.

Mind you, there was a lot of on the nose stuff(like smartphone use and endless reboots) so who nose?

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                I didn’t like that meta WB scene. It was so on the nose that I was convinced Lana would do a sequel.

Mind you, there was a lot of on the nose stuff(like smartphone use and endless reboots) so who nose?
                Indeed. It was an interesting throwaway comment about gawking at your mobile means you're less likely to notice if you're being controlled.

Comment

Yep, definitely on the nose and almost bloodily so when it turns out Resurrections is staggeringly by the numbers. Makes me wonder if the WB committee might have done a better job

Comment

You say it's "by the numbers", but for the first portion of the film, I didn't know where it was going.
                    If it was by the numbers, it would have been obviously signposted.

Comment

For me it was, I think there was an interesting concept behind the idea of Neo being uncertain of reality and illusion and there was an amazing opportunity to really get in the characters head and to have the audience question whether they were going to go in a direction that may have completely changed the 'reality' of whether the OG trilogy even happened etc but I never bought that was an option and that Neo wouldn't just meet Trinity and go back to the same old as the film doesn't go far enough with that, it too quickly gets distracted repeating beats from the original film or introducing things and characters that practically vanish for the rest of the film. There's so much potential and story left and I really did enjoy watching the film for the revisit thrills but I still find it amazing that Revolutions still gets shade compared to Resurrections.

Comment

Working...
                      X