Lego Sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaffy_oppa View Post
    So I got around to finishing the Trevi Fountain and it wasn't what I really wanted. I don't think Lego is for me.

I was going to start on Wall E but I'm also thinking maybe just get a refund for now.
    LEGO should be about creativity, not just using the instructions. #GoOffBook

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      I must admit, I'm not convinced by the smaller architect sets. Or even the bigger ones. So many repeating sections in the builds, usually very basic colours - so much white. And often in the smaller sets the detail has been so compromised that it doesn't even quite work as the building. I have the tower of Piza and the proportions are completely off.
      I must say that I agree with this sentiment a lot, especially with some of the bigger Star Wars sets. The At-At looks fantastic when it's finished but the rinse and repeat sections made the entire build a chore.

Comment

Different strokes for different folks I guess, so far the AT-AT build has been unrivalled for me in terms of sheer building enjoyment (for official sets - the unofficial x-wing I posted above blows them all away for ingenuity).

Comment

But the legs... tedium x4 in grayscale ...

It's one of the reasons I've held back from buying the Sandcrawler set, it just looks like you're putting together a tedious cardboard box.

Comment

Basically I wanted something time consuming, challenging and somewhat mundane but still able to keep my attention. Just something to do to keep my mind off things.

I only got the Trevi fountain as it was only one of the two Argos had in the architecture range the other being Pisa. I've gotten a refund on the on Pisa and Wall-E now. I still would like to build Wall-E so might pick it up another time if I see it for cheaper. I also like the look of the Birds from the Ideas range.

Comment

Got my first minifigures from the Monster range:

The skeleton costume trick or treater is great. The werewolf and rocker monster are too similar to their Monster Fighter counterparts but that's probably to be expected. I'm not sure the plant guy works for me. Is it supposed to have eaten someone and that's why we see the face? I don't know.

Already got a dupe of the monster rocker. Thing about buying in Argos is I don't get to feel the bags! So it would likely cost a fortune to try to get the set. I'll likely just try to get the fly man and the banshee and leave it at that if I can get those.

Comment

Originally posted by shaffy_oppa View Post
                Basically I wanted something time consuming, challenging and somewhat mundane but still able to keep my attention. Just something to do to keep my mind off things.

I only got the Trevi fountain as it was only one of the two Argos had in the architecture range the other being Pisa. I've gotten a refund on the on Pisa and Wall-E now. I still would like to build Wall-E so might pick it up another time if I see it for cheaper. I also like the look of the Birds from the Ideas range.
                I haven't built the Trevi Fountain, but from looking at the instructions it looks like quite a basic build. The one thing I'd say for Wall-E is that there are lot of really complex techniques - particularly in the eyes - and as a result it's a lot of fun to put together. It feels a bit less like just stacking one brick on top of another, because you don't really appreciate what's happening until it begins to take shape before your eyes. I think it'd be a lot better at showing the potential of Lego than the Trevi was.

Comment

Thing about buying in Argos is I don't get to feel the bags!
                  That's funny because I bought my first Minifig for my son from Argos on Sunday whilst in the queue and I could feel the triangular base on this scary guy!

I'm tempted to take my son along to this next weekend:
                  brickshowslive.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, brickshowslive.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

He's four though and I'm worried he'll either be overwhelmed with the noise and crowds or stop and look at the first thing he sees all day!

"BRICK is coming to Birmingham!

Join us at the NEC for the biggest LEGO show the UK has ever seen!

We’re bringing all the cool displays and interactive features from our flagship show in London
                  to the Midlands, just in time for the school’s half term holiday!

BRICK Birmingham 2015 will be the must-have ticket as we build one of the most exciting half-term events
                  in the calendar, all under one roof at Birmingham’s NEC.

Because it’s half term (and you can never have enough time to build LEGO) we’re spreading the
                  fun over four fantastic days. This will give LEGO lovers plenty of time to indulge in all things LEGO with amazing fan displays,
                  BRICK pits (with three million pieces of LEGO to play with), vintage and rare LEGO, the latest LEGO gaming,
                  and live LEGO building.

Help us as we attempt to set some new Guinness World Records and break a few existing ones, get interactive with features and building workshops, and enjoy a FANtastic LEGO shopping experience!

BOO! BRICK or Treat with us for Halloween weekend and enjoy spooky fun all show long!"

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    That's funny because I bought my first Minifig for my son from Argos on Sunday whilst in the queue and I could feel the triangular base on this scary guy!
                    Ah, you're lucky they had them out to feel. Mine has done that at times but not at the moment.

Comment

Got my first minifigures from the Monster range:

The skeleton costume trick or treater is great. The werewolf and rocker monster are too similar to their Monster Fighter counterparts but that's probably to be expected. I'm not sure the plant guy works for me. Is it supposed to have eaten someone and that's why we see the face? I don't know.

Already got a dupe of the monster rocker. Thing about buying in Argos is I don't get to feel the bags! So it would likely cost a fortune to try to get the set. I'll likely just try to get the fly man and the banshee and leave it at that if I can get those.
                      DT, do you a swap for your duplicate Monster Rocker. Took my boy to Legoland, and out of 8 packs that we carefully felt-up, no less than 4 turned out to be the Fly Man!

Comment

Japan got more monsters. I tried to complete the set: got the monster rocker, zombie businessman, and my 3rd trick or treater (dammit, for some reason I thought I was holding the Sasquatch).

I really want Zombie Pirate, and I know I felt his sword in the bag in the early days when I didn't really want it yet - now I can't find him at all.

Edit - Golgo, that's an impressive feeling failure rate. The fly guy is even really easy to identify!

Comment

^ You're telling me! And there were three of us on the case.

Comment

Going to speak with the missus about Brickshow 2015 - seems like a cracking idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                              DT, do you a swap for your duplicate Monster Rocker. Took my boy to Legoland, and out of 8 packs that we carefully felt-up, no less than 4 turned out to be the Fly Man!
                              Sure! That would be sweet! The only thing is that I'm in Ireland so postage would be a big more. But they're so small and so light that I can't imagine it would be all that much.

Comment

Cool, let's PM some addresses

Comment

Working...
                                X