X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Wick

Fantastic. Followed by...

John Wick 2

We sort of lost interest in it but it had great scenes, like the fight with Calrissian.

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
    That good?
    I can see why people didn't like it, and I noticed a lot of fidgeting going on in the cinema(or maybe that's just the Ikebukuro riff-raff).

I'm not even good at films, so I'm not implying that people who didn't like it just didn't get it or couldn't appreciate the cinematography or the significance of dust specks swirling through shafts of light in slow-motion.

Some reviews complained about the lack of Batman - that Joker himself isn't enough to prop up an entire film - but I was glad because it meant Raekwon Phoenix could take the spotlight.
    Last edited by randombs; 21-10-2019, 01:43.

Comment

John Wick 2 seemed like he did the same move over and over. Grab person by the arm, fall to the ground, cap someone else, cap person, repeat.

Comment

I watched Macross Plus for the first time in years because I've been thinking about it a lot recently, when I've seen other films that have AI or sacrifice for others.

Manga messed up the discs with this release, which is supposed to be parts 1&2 on one disc and 3&4 on the other.
        Instead you get the whole OVA on the disc labelled "parts 3&4" and parts 3&4 on the disc labelled "parts 1&2"!
        Either way, the OVA has the whole film.

The story is really interesting and an update on the original's love triangle.

The film is the work of Shōji Kawamori, who co-directed and designed all the variable fighters.
        That YF-19 still looks the bees knees.
        There is some CGI in this, which has aged, but still fits in the story, but the art and animation is gorgeous.

Comment

I also saw 13: Game of Death, which I'd never finished.
          It's nothing to do with Bruce Lee's final film, it's about a down-on-his luck salesman in Thailand that loses his job, but given the chance to win a heap of money if he can complete 13 challenges.

The first challenge is to swat a fly. No problem, cash in the bank.
          Challenge 2: eat the fly

it goes south pretty quick for the guy from there...

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            I watched Macross Plus for the first time in years because I've been thinking about it a lot recently, when I've seen other films that have AI or sacrifice for others.

Manga messed up the discs with this release, which is supposed to be parts 1&2 on one disc and 3&4 on the other.
            Instead you get the whole OVA on the disc labelled "parts 3&4" and parts 3&4 on the disc labelled "parts 1&2"!
            Either way, the OVA has the whole film.

The story is really interesting and an update on the original's love triangle.

The film is the work of Shōji Kawamori, who co-directed and designed all the variable fighters.
            That YF-19 still looks the bees knees.
            There is some CGI in this, which has aged, but still fits in the story, but the art and animation is gorgeous.

Haven't seen Macross Plus for years! Got the DVD somewhere. 'Do you remember love?' is also good. Made me want to go watch it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              Also watched In A Lonely Place. Humphrey Bogart as I've never seen him ... complex and dark ... and dark is what the film is. Sending you one way then pulling the rug this way and that. To it's credit the film never cops out with the bleakness. It's very good but not one I'll revisit.
              About time someone watched some watchings round here. Bogart is brutal in that, but totally watchable, wonderful film, but vicious. The bit when he grabs the rock and is gonna stove some chumps head in.

What other Bogies have you watched? I've seen most of his, one of my fave actors.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                What other Bogies have you watched?
                Only the obvious really: Maltese Falcon, Big Sleep, Casablanca ...

Any recommendations?

Comment

To Have and Have Not, Key Largo, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Desparate Hours.

Comment

Oh and the Caine Mutiny!

Comment

Oh, and Virginia City, a wonderful western with Randolph Scott, Errol Flynn, and Humphrey Bogart, how is that for a cast!

Comment

They are now firmly on my radar ... cheers [MENTION=5011]vanpeebles[/MENTION]

Comment

You won't see a better set of films than that lot

Comment

Loving the vintage cinema love on here! Let's re-educate each other about these brill old films!!!

I don't wanna see most modern movies anymore. They're depressing and samey and all look the same and are weirdly less visceral yet much more violent. They all seem to blur into each other.

Let's give Bogey a chance. Jimmy Cagney, W.C. Fields a chance. The old sh.it. Die alte scheisse.

Let's face it, I've never seen WHITE HEAT but I'm damn sure it's gonna be at least 215% better than the new Star Wars or DCU or MCU shide that gets shat out next.

So much good stuff I still haven't seen and I'm glad there's loads of these little, weird retro movie channels popping up on Freeview, bang on I've been watching all my old fave Brit 60s B&W kitchen sink/angry young man dramas on there, hallelujah!

***BTW, if anyone spots O! LUCKY MAN, LEO THE LAST or CHARLIE BUBBLES turning up on some obscure Freeview channel, please alert me!!!***

Comment

Would also be nice to see WHEN THE WIND BLOWS again.

Have you noticed you never hear it spoken of? At all???

Comment

White Heat is a cracking film too. Jimmy Cagey at his best. I love old black and white films, I'd happily watch them all day.

Comment

Working...
                                X