No announcement yet.

Should I pour some love onto those dodgy Chinese Android handhelds [JXD]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I think the XPlay was a huge failure sales wise, yet everyone who had one seemed to love it.

...and now you've got all kinds of gamepad accessories and gaming tablets offering physical controls...hopefully then one of the major manufacturers will revisit the idea of a phone with proper in built physical controls. I'd buy it right away, without hesitation (if it was Android).

Comment

The guys behind Openpandora (well all expect Craig) are designing a new device called Pyra.

I am REALLY really happy with my 1Ghz Pandora, but Pyra will be awesome.

This was the pandora:

Comment

I remember the Pandora really well, shame it took so long to actually come out or it could have done really well.
        Wasn't cheap either was it.
        Good video review though so far in the couple of minutes I've seen.

Comment

I think I will need to try emulation again, I've never found a great deal of satisfaction from it but under no circumstances want to get involved in actually buying retro again. I don't really want an old modded xbox around the house, so out of all the current handheld options what is the best choice? I agree some of these JXD systems look pretty nifty, but owned the similar archos gamepad for a bit and while it was ok, not brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
            I think I will need to try emulation again, I've never found a great deal of satisfaction from it but under no circumstances want to get involved in actually buying retro again. I don't really want an old modded xbox around the house, so out of all the current handheld options what is the best choice? I agree some of these JXD systems look pretty nifty, but owned the similar archos gamepad for a bit and while it was ok, not brilliant.
            PSP is the best out of the mainstream handhelds for emulation.

But I mean, I would look into the Android options as well. But can't really offer too much advice on them as my Xperia Play is the only one I've really had a good go at...

Comment

Evil Dragon has 1Ghz units in stock. If you are able to spare the money, these are the best hand held emulators on the planet. It's a great shame many of the original orders didn't get fulfilled, but at least the consoles are finally available for sale, just at twice the price than they expected!

Best D-Pad ever. Perfect 8 bit/16bit/NeoGeo/MAME

Comment

The Archos gamepad was ?52 from Amazon the other week

I tried one in Tesco of all places and it wasn't too bad.

Amazon also sell a few of the JXD bits
                eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B.../?tag=ho01f-21

C_S, crikey, they are PS4/XBOne sort of prices.

Comment

I can't tell you how much I wanted a Pandora when they first started hyping them and how disappointed I was with their cack handed approach and inflated prices, I ended up getting my money back as the whole experience left a bad taste.

Looking forward to the new handheld but it was mainly the portable Dreamcast thing that turned me onto the JXD machines.

I may just hold off for another year or so, maybe 6 months and the tech will have progressed that much more.

Comment

Pandora costs more than a PS4 or Xbox one? Er, I'll have to pass on that one CS, my man maths refuses to compute it.

Comment

LOLz believe me, I reckon it's worth every penny! But I fully understand everyone's dismay that I put so much money into one.

Sometimes quality and non-conformity comes at a price.

Comment

One thing about stuff like the Archos is that the D-Pad is diabolical. I've never even held one, but I can SEE from pictures alone; is it an actual pad or four buttons?

It always puzzles me because these manufacturers have to be aware that the pad controls are their main selling point of their devices. There's no excuse for them not conforming to the levels of quality from the pads and buttons of something like the Vita.

Comment

The controls are absolutely essential for retro gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            One thing about stuff like the Archos is that the D-Pad is diabolical. I've never even held one, but I can SEE from pictures alone; is it an actual pad or four buttons?

It always puzzles me because these manufacturers have to be aware that the pad controls are their main selling point of their devices. There's no excuse for them not conforming to the levels of quality from the pads and buttons of something like the Vita.

I too wonder the same thing. Why they go to so much effort to design and create something only to skimp on the most vital component when its the easiest thing to copy.

Comment

Yeah, I mean, if you want it JUST for retro gaming, then PSP does seem the best in my opinion. Cheap as chips these days too, and not hard to mod.

Comment

PSP does a fine job. NeoGeo is easier on the later models with more DRAM.

I use a Capcom D-Pad stick on cover (from ghouls n ghosts) that makes the Dpad work very well indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X