No announcement yet.

Dark Souls 2 [360, PS3, PC] Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know- the message yesterday just said 'couldn't connect to server' or something similar. In the options you can also choose to accept or refuse players from outside your region, so maybe yes?

Played a good couple of hours more last night and did manage to get online that time, though a message flashed up saying they were having problems connecting to Xbox Live (which wasn't quite right- it just wasn't connecting to their servers). About half an hour in, the connection dropped. Was quite amusing seeing people die by rolling into the big well at Majula for no apparent reason though.

Golgo mentions above that DS2 has lost most of the previous game's grim and oppressive atmosphere. I take the point - it's a lot lighter from the off - but so far I've found it's still got a very imposing atmosphere. The sense of loneliness is much more acute here, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
      I agree with S3M, the lighting is way off. Not helped by some garish art design in terms of colour clash, plus more expansive vistas which really expose the flaws. It looks low res, flat and washed out in parts. Others are stunning to see though. Very uneven. Gameplay wise it's as it was but it's not gripping me as before as overall it seems to have lost much of it's grim, oppressive, nervy atmosphere, which isn't helped in that you can barely turn a corner without tripping over another bonfire/safe haven (mind you I'm only about 4 hours in, and this may be intended to help new Souls players get to grips with it all). Something that's really bugging me, though: when you go to buy weapons/armour from a merchant it doesn't show you how the item will alter your stats. At least, I'll be damned if I can find it. Anyone know? If not, does it mean you've got to buy items blind, in the hope they might improve your stats?! Voice acting is really good, sounds like they got some of the old Demons cast in! Enemy ragdoll physics is also better - dead ones don't get tangled around your legs like big water balloons anymore. Started as cleric class for a change, god knows why, maybe because of the flashy robes. Are clerics any good? Might start over if not.
      Great minds think a like as they say, the merchant and item box not showing equipment stats is really annoying me to. The Estus Flask has also been heavily nerfed now with it only starting with one use, extras Estus Flask shards only give you one extra drink and mine is currently only at four.

Have defeated the first boss now and that was good fun and the first decent fight in the game and have already found the second boss, the key the first boss gives you, opens up lots of doors in the fort. I also forgot to mention each time you die as a hollow your health reduces a bit more than the last time and you have to return to a human to fully restore your health, it seems to drop to half health at worse which is what I'm currently stuck at.

The starting area is much easier but all the gameplay tweak do make it harder, unless you've stock up on lifestones.

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
      If this game has technical problems, I invoke the nakamura-patented 5/10 limitation threshold.

Dark Souls never hooked me in past the back-breaking demands of its difficulty level from the off. I just didn't have the time to get sucked in. Does this have a gentler introduction?
      Yes it does but then the difficulty seems to ramp up, I've already died about 50 times exploring and I highly suspect if you didn't enjoy the first one you won't enjoy the second. In all honesty when did you play the first game? As it was heavily patch nerfed by the end and was a lot easiler.

As if you played it pre-patch then give it another shot, if you played it after the patches then avoid this one.
      Last edited by S3M; 14-03-2014, 11:46.

Comment

It's starting to get under my skin now and I'm really enjoying it, even with my fairy cleric, but I've got him two-handing his mace for now so we're getting by. (

Much enjoyed luring that turtle monster thing to the ballista room and letting him have it with them

). Still not very far in and haven't even found the first boss, but the thrill of exploration is all present and correct. On the subject of lighting again, the places do look properly amazing when you've lit torches here and there, and I'm sure there's some ulterior story purpose behind it all as S3M hinted...Online seems to be working fine now on PS3 (hints everywhere) but I haven't been invaded so far and I'm not 'allowed' to invade others. I mentioned it before but the script and voice acting for NPCs is top notch. Some strong regional accents like in Demons Souls, unlike the rather genteel cut-glass Englishers in Dark Souls, which I think is cool anyway.

Comment

How easy/hard to get some co-op going now? Still need to mess about with stones?

Comment

Haven't seen any sign of that at all yet, Hoolak. You don't need a stone anymore to do online stuff like writing on the ground, so maybe not...But if anyone wanted to avoid coop, though, and go for the solo route

there appears to be a special hardnuts covenant for this on sea cliffs just above Majula

. I think this is the one mentioned in the instruction booklet and works as the equivalent of an extra-hard setting.

Comment

Come on postman

Comment

Just got rushed and killed by

three tiny piglets behind the manor house in Majula, chased me all over the village

! Couldn't fight for laughing at them, but they were well 'ard fair play. Beware.

Comment

Anyone know anything about the contents of the black armour edition on ps3?

I've had mine through from amazon sealed, and sealed inside with the game is what seems to be a metal plate that says "Dark Souls 2 limited edition number 617 of 2500" and signed by Yui Tanimura.

The back of the box or the listing anywhere don't mention this as an extra, and can't see mention of it anywhere so I don't want to open it!

Comment

Never mind, found out myself!

Nice bonus!

Comment

About to start playing now

Comment

I'm getting fed up with the cleric, tbh. Everything - weapon or armour - I pick up or buy I get "he's not able to wield this effectively" kind of thing. I can't have wrecked/mis-levelled the build already as I haven't even had a chance to level him up yet! It seems he begins the game without being able to do anything. Can just about manage to swing a small mace with two hands, sometimes without even falling over through the weight of it! Is very good at healing himself after failing combat pathetically, though.

Comment

so any class recommendations so far? and how much does the disconnected world design (no connections between maps/levels) affect the atmosphere and feeling of the game?

i am still waiting for my collector's edition. anyone else got it already and can report about the quality of the figurine?

Comment

^ The world is completely seamless and connected. It's not like Demons' Souls.
                            Last edited by Golgo; 14-03-2014, 20:02.

Comment

Don't feel like I'm getting anywhere, any tips on the orge things with the tails and how to kill them

Comment

Only thing I have a problem with is the weapons breaking. I can handle the reduced health on dying, but when your weapon breaks so often, and there aren't that many to pick up, it starts to impede progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X