Dark Souls 2 [360, PS3, PC] Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Cheers Zaki. Yeah, just beat 1st boss and got my question answered. Guess you don't become human again upon beating a boss like in Demon's. Might have me some co-op if the going gets tough. Are effigies in relatively decent supply?
    They're not in totally freely available, so you shouldn't eat them like candy.
    I'm pretty sure you need to be human to summon support into your world (both NPC and player) so it's worth having some available for this.
    You gain your human form for cooping where you help someone in their world.

As you progress you get a hold of a ring that restricts how much you hollow, which is super helpful!

Comment

Successful co-op - check
      Humanity restored - check
      Black Phantom pummelled - check
      Ledge clumsily stumbled off - check

It's not so bad though. I did discover the Ring of Binding shortly after
      Last edited by Atticus; 01-06-2015, 18:03.

Comment

Wait until you actually need to summon before you eat one. Towards the end of the game you get an item that stops you from hollowing, so you can use that to stock up on Effigy's. I had 198 going into NG+. You end up pretty much invincible if you power level anyway, so you eat one and you can smash half of the game without dying.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Came to a tough boss tonight but I was too tight to consume an effegy so I co-oped for someone else then managed to find a summon sign for myself. Sweet fight too. Perfect team work without any words or gestures. Loving this game.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
            Wait until you actually need to summon before you eat one. Towards the end of the game you get an item that stops you from hollowing, so you can use that to stock up on Effigy's. I had 198 going into NG+. You end up pretty much invincible if you power level anyway, so you eat one and you can smash half of the game without dying.
            An item that stops you hollowing...Where do I get that from?
            I chugged about 20 effigies yesterday trying to beat the Smelter Demon in the Iron Passage (DLC). by for the hardest part of the game I've encountered.

For people that have finished the DLC...I got to a suit of armour in the that has no action when I examine it (past about 5 invaders!) I'm guessing I have to destory all the flaming enemies (remnants o the queen?) Can someone confirm?

Comment

You have to beat all of the DLC areas, then beat Vendrick. Any of the four crowns will grant you immortality.

That's Sir Alonne. He's gonna **** you up like you've never been ****ed up before. You need the Ashen Mist Heart to get in there. Good luck with getting that.

BTW, make sure you have four Smelter Wedges on you at all times. Do not use them up under four. Otherwise you're going to face the most difficult video game boss of all time.
              Last edited by J0e Musashi; 02-06-2015, 16:12.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Rumour of DS3 on gamespot.

Comment

So the DLC was finally cheap on PS3 last week and I decided to replay the whole game as my old save is on my old PS3 hard drive. Thankfully it seems the patches did a number on the balancing of the game as it's much much fairer on close combat players now. Weapons actually do decent damage to the enemies and break poise.

The halberd in the original version was slow, weak and didn't break poise easily, now it does and plays just like how it did in the first game. It's a big improvement and I'm enjoying it a lot more second time around as the combat actually works, just a shame it took From Software over a year to get there act together, lighting has also been improved in a few areas in the PS3 version. Bosses are also far weaker and I've killed nine so far almost all of them without dying, bar a few silly mistakes.

It's still not perfect but it's much fairer now in quite a few places and feels like at least someone from the DS1 team has looked at it and then said **** this is bad we need to fix it. The valley full of poison is still a pain to navigate but in the large the game is much better now.

Comment

Got tired of farming shackles so decided to take a break and revisit this bad boy. I had left it off @ Edana in the first DLC. She was completely kicking my butt, I reckon I wasted 20 odd human effigies. After coming close beating her (including dying after killing her) I had my strategy and stuck to it, over and over and over. FINALLY I beat her relatively easily. Phew seriously this was the hardest boss I reckon in this game. So immediately there's another bloody boss, the
                    . He kicks my arse a couple of times, I learn his moves after a few goes and bam I beat him after only a dozen or so attempts, I managed it. Man finishing DLC #1 was a relief. Now I'm onto the 2nd DLC and finding it a lot easier thus far. I am WAY over levelled so that may be helping somewhat.

I reckon having played DSIII for over 100 hours has made me a better player in this game. It's a lot slower than DSIII and I really notice the 60 fps over the 30.

Will I eventually plat this one, not sure I think I still need to beat NG+ (should be straightforward) but I know I have some farming (GRRR) and the bloody Darklurker ; which may just kill my determination.

Still I've enjoyed my afternoon revisiting, I don't understand the hate this game gets, yeah it's not as good as 1 or 3 but it's still a great game.

Comment

This is the only Dark Souls I've played so far and it's hands down the best game I played all last year. I can sense the urge to play 3, but I don't think my mind and body are ready yet.

Comment

The first of the Dark Souls is still the best for me. Layout and atmosphere wise. Get your body ready for the remastered version of that!

Comment

I'm now onto

Sir Alonne

he's a tricky bugger, especially after I wasted about 15 effigies beating the

Fume Knight

he was tough, solo'd him in the end, as with most of the other bosses patience (and practice!) got me there in the end. There were some very cool bits in this 2nd DLC.

Comment

Somehow I had gone through most of my NG+ without killing Smelter Demon or Old Iron King. Now I struggled big time on NG with these okes, this time I solo'd them both first time

Comment

Finally got my plat. Damn it was hard work. 250 hours in total across my 2 characters.

I don't get the extreme hate for this game, it may not be the best Souls game but it is a bloody good game and extremely enjoyable to play. My 2nd character was so diverse stat wise at the end I could play however I liked. This really added another element, it was so easy to tank, to sorcery, to 2H giant swords etc.

I can put this bad boy back in the library for a while until my next play through in a year or two.

Now back to DSIII, until DS1 remaster!! 2018's gonna be a Souls 'n Yakuza year

Comment

Currently in the middle of Mage arc for dark souls, a build i've never used in any of the games and to play each of the games DLC for the first time. Having recently finished DS1 aside from primeval man from the DLC (cos fk that guy), it's on to Dark Souls 2 which i originally played on 360 but got in the november sales on steam for the 'remastered' version. It's the only DS game i've never replayed... i did my Sword/Club plus a shield build and never went back to do any bow, whip, 2 handed, or katana, and i can see why as it mostly a direction thing followed by the map design itself, all sub par for the series.

Often i'm just banging my head in one direction hoping to find item or NPC to help boost my sorcerer, spent hours and hours with just soul and heavy arrow only until a couple of bosses i couldn't beat with my limited spells and areas either locked up or need some resist equip, forced me down another path. The entire Heide Tower of to the right seems a right pile of BS to lock alot of NPC and area progression behind tough foes for a starting character.

Still i really like the massively improved spell casting coming from DS1, it's like night and day even with the stamina loss for casting its so much better at tracking and at least when you have locked on you can move quite far away with the lock still attached... just have to get really close to get that started.

Had more trouble fighting normal bosses than the 2 Old souls i've thought so far, Mage just making mincemeat of the prisoner guy and the rotten thing. And i'm still getting invaded, usually by pvp meta builds so it's not worth even putting up a fight when they don't even bother dodging or blocking a soul arrow. Only other massive pain as a mage is the ghosts, without lock on i couldn't get through the Shade+ruins area, and at the time didn't have spells for magic sword or even a levelled up melee weapon to slap it on to. As of my progression, I've just found the chariot guy (urgh) after finally making it to huntsman corpse something i missed for ages and got access to the earthen peak.

I did have a look at the mods for the game and there seems to be popular ENB mod to change all the shadowing which i've not used but i'll definitely look at for new game plus or going back and trying a 2 handed build (and playing with a guide next time)

Comment

Working...
                                X