Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Lesson and out

Comment

Rez and Project Cars would be interesting to try. But I don't want to shell out the best part of ?1000 to play Project Cars and a game I already have on three formats.

Comment

Does this have a price yet?

Comment

Nope. Wild guess, something like the PUD-J5A, when that was launched seems reasonable.

Comment

Rez will still work without the headset right? I'm super excited to get that, always felt hard done by that Rez-HD never made it to playstation. Ace Combat 7 is also a must buy for me, but again not necessarily with the VR headset.

Still, two games that appeal is better than I expected.

Not at all convinced by these games that claim to have 'intentionally' awkward controls. In what bizarro universe would that be a way to make a fun game?
            Last edited by Darwock; 22-01-2016, 07:28.

Comment

I must be seeing a very different page to some of you, but this has me really excited. This is basically what I miss about 90s gaming. New bit of hardware? Right, here are more games than you can remember the titles of - enjoy.

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
              Not at all convinced by these games that claim to have 'intentionally' awkward controls. In what bizarro universe would that be a way to make a fun game?

Comment

Danganronpa VR and DOAX3?

SOLD

Comment

36.6m and 15 minutes of my life! Cheers Asura lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    Does this have a price yet?
                    Not confirmed no, but it could come is at ?350, probably clickbait though.

And as someone points out that's what Oculus were aiming for ($350) and that ended up $599.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I must be seeing a very different page to some of you, but this has me really excited. This is basically what I miss about 90s gaming. New bit of hardware? Right, here are more games than you can remember the titles of - enjoy.

http://www.foddy.net/GIRP.html
                      There are some interesting games on that list for sure. The problem is very few of them are doing anything more than substituting the right thumbstick for headtracking and that's not enough for me to spend silly money on it.

Comment

I'm not convinced the PS4 can run half of that list at a solid enough frame rate over a standard display, how on earth is it going to handle two screens at a much higher refresh rate?

I'm not interested in the risk. I'd rather spend this year building a decent enough PC and then opt for v2 of Oculus in 2017 depending on how the initial sales and support turns out. I'm quite interested in VR and I want my first experience with it to be "WOW@!1", not "hmm, okay...".

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                          There are some interesting games on that list for sure. The problem is very few of them are doing anything more than substituting the right thumbstick for headtracking and that's not enough for me to spend silly money on it.
                          Although I see what you mean, I approach VR from another direction.

I normally always value gameplay above all else, meaning that the stuff which initially got me most interested in VR were things like The Classroom Aquatic - games which just don't work without VR.

That being said, with VR, I'm really looking forward to stuff equivalent to Dear Esther. I feel there's a lot to be explored in terms of "experiential design", i.e. just putting you in a place with an awesome atmosphere, that hasn't really been covered yet. Those titles a bit like the film Gravity are good examples.

Imagine if, at the Oscars in 2017, one of the seats was filled with a panoramic camera, and the headset allowed you to observe as if you were attending the event. That isn't a videogame, but it would be an experience worth trying for many people.

I also feel that with voice input and VR, we could start to see games similar to Facade, where the interaction is more abstract than we're used to. You can do those games with a TV, but they would be far more appealing in VR.

I dunno. I've used these headsets quite a bit over the last few years and maybe I'm just part of a narrow band of consumers, but the novelty never "wore off" for me of just doing cool stuff in VR.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            I normally always value gameplay above all else, meaning that the stuff which initially got me most interested in VR were things like The Classroom Aquatic - games which just don't work without VR.
                            That's what I want to see in the above list - a reason to spend hundreds of pounds on a peripheral - not stuff like DriveClub which VR really adds little to the experience I already have.

I'm sure there will be surprises and if PSVR turns out to be on the cheaper side of Rift, perhaps the above will be enough in the short term to sway me.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                              I'm not convinced the PS4 can run half of that list at a solid enough frame rate over a standard display, how on earth is it going to handle two screens at a much higher refresh rate?
                              There is a processing box that doubles or tripples the framerate for the screen. If understand correctty, a sony rep said that it can be bypassed if a game is really basic and can do 120hz by itself.
                              Actually i think the processing box does more that just altering the framerate, it does the scaling and probably hmd tracking as well.

Comment

Isn't that what vr is in essence? A screen for each eye so you see in 3d and head tracking. So yes, moving your head replaces the right stick in a first person game, everything is 3d and you can't escape the environment you are in by looking away from the screen. That's vr. Outside of that normal game rules apply don't they?

Greater immersion is all I'm expecting from it really.

Comment

Working...
                                X