No announcement yet.

The Driverless Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sooner we get all these F**k nuggets off the roads that can’t and shouldn’t be driving the better.

Let’s also not forget those people making a living out of causing accidents and gaming insurance.
    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 22-03-2018, 08:23.

Comment

I honestly believe that the type of car you are allowed to drive should be tied to your GCSE results. There are lots of idiots driving powerful cars (BMWs, Audis). As a teacher it would also help me tremendously when I can threaten kids with a life of driving small 1 litre cars.

Comment

My Mom's car is getting repaired at the garage so she's a carless driver.
        I don't need Google or Tesla's help for that.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
          I honestly believe that the type of car you are allowed to drive should be tied to your GCSE results. There are lots of idiots driving powerful cars (BMWs, Audis). As a teacher it would also help me tremendously when I can threaten kids with a life of driving small 1 litre cars.
          Well that doesn't work now does it? i failed school miserably, got straight A's in college in everything i tried, and i'm perfectly capable of running a company, i also have a 100% clean licence with no accidents, so that system can be shoved right up where the sun doesn't shine .
          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 22-03-2018, 10:04.

Comment

It's be easy to implement life long bans on dangerous or drunk drivers without limiting their ability to access work

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              It's be easy to implement life long bans on dangerous or drunk drivers without limiting their ability to access work
              More people should get life long bans full stop. There are soooooooooo many people on the roads that shouldn’t be it’s beyond a joke. Drunks, drugged, can’t see, reactions of a sloth, talking on phone constantly, the list goes on.

I saw a guy on the M4 once driving, fully reclined asleep, I s**t you not. I didn’t toot him for fear of him panicking and killing someone. I got my mate in the passenger seat to call the police while it was happening and they didn’t give a flying F. We had video of the guys face & his reg while it happened, they didn’t do a thing.

Mums driving their kids to school in the mornings when they live 1 mile away is my latest irk. Let’s block all the roads with our range rovers to drop kiddos off when they live down the road, awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                Well that doesn't work now does it? i failed school miserably, got straight A's in college in everything i tried, and i'm perfectly capable of running a company, i also have a 100% clean licence with no accidents, so that system can be shoved right up where the sun doesn't shine .
                Well, fair enough. You were obviously intelligent enough though. I lived on a busy city road for 5 years and saw a huge amount of reckless driving in killing machines. I could only deduce that the people driving were absolute plebs who shouldn't be near that level of performance.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                  Well, fair enough. You were obviously intelligent enough though. I lived on a busy city road for 5 years and saw a huge amount of reckless driving in killing machines. I could only deduce that the people driving were absolute plebs who shouldn't be near that level of performance.
                  There’s plenty of people with master degrees and straight A’s all through education that shouldn’t be on the road too, I guarantee it.

Comment

Trouble is, you'd need self driving motorbikes, bicycles, trucks, buses, vans and even iron man style leg walkers. I've never particularly felt, despite the amount of driving I've done, that car drivers were that proportionately worse than anyone else on or beside the road. Pretty much as the cam footage in the link shows.

Comment

Having watched the footage, as morbid as it is, no body at all would of been able to stop in time to not hit that woman. She’s in a total black zone as is only visible when she’s literally in front of the car.

What was the person even doing in a place like that walking a bike across the road in the first place?

Comment

No, but the automated car should have probably been able to; its sensors wouldn't be restricted to visible light and that road was pretty wide.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                          No, but the automated car should have probably been able to; its sensors wouldn't be restricted to visible light and that road was pretty wide.
                          That’s true. What does the car use, LIDAR, RADAR or both? Was it a malfunction? I’ll be honest I haven’t read any technical data on any of this.

Comment

It'll probably be the usual response we get over here. Permanently close a lane, reduce the speed limit, tougher restrictions and laws on drivers or car owners regardless of automated or not etc rather than anything that addresses the actual issue of poor lighting and a pedestrian being in the middle of a road they should never have been near.

Comment

Yes, the theory is that the car should have been able to detect her across any of the lanes even though we can't physically see her until right at the last moment. No human would have been able to stop in time, and god knows why she didn't see the car coming (my personal theory, the car was electric and silent, and because she couldn't hear anything coming, didn't bother to look). I hope that's where the investigation will go, because the car here is no more at fault than any human driver would have been.
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

They're hybrids by the looks of it (although that refers to them being purchased 2019-2021): https://electrek.co/2017/11/20/uber-volvo-xc90/ - so potentially silent

Comment

Working...
                                X