Crackdown (Xbox One)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crackdown (Xbox One)

The new instalment in the Xbox exclusive, open-world series was shown at E3 2014. Named at the moment just "Crackdown" so it is unclear if it's a remake of the original, a reboot of the series or a sequel to the first two games. The CGI trailer promises destruction on a big scale with collapsing buildings etc.

Edit: The game is developed by Cloudgine, a Scottish studio formed by Dave Jones, who also founded Realtime Worlds, the makers of the original Crackdown.
    Last edited by Guts; 10-06-2014, 11:10.

Not a remake cos pretty sure that guy (Vincente) wasn't in the original. Looks like mega fun! Would buy an XBone for this I reckon if I had to.

Comment

On stage at Microsoft's still on-going Gamescom 2015 press conference, Dave Jones, of Reagent Games, introduced the fir…

Multiplayer will feature full destructable environments. 2016 release seems to be hinted at

Comment

I'm surprised that Microsoft is still banging on about its cloud servers "harnessing twenty times the power of your Xbox One." - I've yet to see anything substantiating such a claim - maybe it's going to be offloading some of the destruction physics. I will allow Microsoft to prove SimCity wrong

Comment

Yeah i really do not get that at all not sure how all that power can fit down a average broadband connection
          Last edited by eastyy; 04-08-2015, 16:23.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            I'm surprised that Microsoft is still banging on about its cloud servers "harnessing twenty times the power of your Xbox One." - I've yet to see anything substantiating such a claim - maybe it's going to be offloading some of the destruction physics. I will allow Microsoft to prove SimCity wrong
            Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            That's exactly what a dedicated server multiplayer does, it frees up a little cpu
            For crackdown they are allegedly planning something more sophisticated

Cloudgine is a company set up by Crackdown / GTA creator Dave Jones to provide cloud gaming technologies
            Quoted from the E3 thread earlier in the year, this was a tech demo for the cloudgine stuff that was shown last year and then confirmed to be part of Crackdown.

I think other points to remember are that the company developing this is not a Microsoft 1st party studio, they have been setup to create a cloud computing game engine, presumably to sell to everyone as middleware at a later date, so I expect it is very much a real thing.

"20X the CPU power of an Xbox One" , which against isn't probably that unfeasible for the Azure network, especially as it seems to be verging on being an MMO, so the servers aren't even needed per player.

The fact that it is verging on an MMO does make me nervous.

Comment

The trouble with relying on such a system though, is either your game is not going to work when the servers are playing up, or the end player gets a second rate experience. A tech demo doesn't prove it's going to work in the real world, so making your game depend on the tech to make it work makes me nervous.

No way I'll be making a day one purchase for this game if that's the case.

See SimCity.

Comment

Crackdown from the people who made the original makes me wish I had an xbone.

Comment

Comment

/me raids piggybank.

Comment

On stage demo and explanation of the cloud use.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                        The trouble with relying on such a system though, is either your game is not going to work when the servers are playing up, or the end player gets a second rate experience. A tech demo doesn't prove it's going to work in the real world, so making your game depend on the tech to make it work makes me nervous.

No way I'll be making a day one purchase for this game if that's the case.

See SimCity.
                        I thought the 100% destruction is only for multiplayers so if the servers are down then presumably no multiplayer at all anyway so not sure if it's such a big issue. Azure powers all sorts of real world apps so in terms of cloud, it's about as reliable as you get.

Comment

Amazing!!!!!

Comment

The demo is impressive for sure, but we know historically that there's a *lot* of faking done in these things. Was that demo using servers on a Gigabit LAN with no load? Was it actually using Azure live? Who knows?

*cough* Milo *cough*

I well past giving developers and publishers the benefit of the doubt.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 05-08-2015, 16:00.

Comment

Nice, but hadly as ground breaking as hes letting on; wasnt the type of destruction seen in red faction guerrilla? Remember having a ton of fun with that

Comment

Working...
                              X