Street Fighter V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street Fighter V

Don't get excited, it's ages away however whilst killing rumours of players paying for advantages Ono has confirmed that Street Fighter V is in early planning stages at Capcom. Presumably that puts it as 2016 at the earliest, it's shocking that SF4 is already 6 years old. Hopefully they take a fresh approach with SF5 given how milked 4 has been.

It's difficult to anticipate what they'll do with 5.

Whilst it did many of its own things, 4 started life as being closer to 2 than 3, in my book. For starters, it features the entire 2 cast, though several from 3 did work their way in (along with a fair few from Alpha). I'm not talking about the gameplay meta here but more the identity of the product; they lead with adverts showing fan-favourites like Blanka, Guile, Chun Li etc.

5 could break away and try something new, like the Alpha/Zero series or 3 but I think they've hit onto mass market again and Capcom will want to keep that.

Personally, I'd love to see them go 3D/2D in a vein similar to the new Guilty Gear.

Comment

It should be noted that chronologically SF3 comes after SF4. Given that, should there be a return to those tired SF2/SF4 characters (oooh) I'm going to have to assume it would have to be set before SF3 again.

I'd like to expect a product better than SF4 at this point, but who can tell.

Comment

Would be nice to have about 50/50 split of old and entirely new characters. Or maybe 60/40. 70/30 probably more realistic. 2 entirely new characters?

Comment

Yoshinori won't be involved in SF5 has he's just resigned

Y'all leaving Capcom! Ono!

Comment

Well, he has resigned from a director chair, and still no word if he'll remain with Capcom. He might get involved in SF5, maybe as a producer, if he's still with the company.

Comment

To be fair, he's a "named figure" - in that many people around the industry know who he is by name. He's in the perfect position to go to a stupidly highly paid job at a mobile gaming company, then succeed or fail he'll earn half a million in two or three years (potentially many times that if he strikes it lucky), and if/when it tanks, go back to Capcom or someone similar. It seems to be the trend right now, if you have a name and background big enough to prise a couple of million quid out of a venture-capitalist's wallet by saying "CANDY CRUSH MILLION BILLION DOLLARS" a lot.

Comment

Capcom is a sinking ship, so I don't blame him in deserting them.

Comment

I want a whole new everything... Time street fighter let go of its past and become a whole new game altogether... Change is good!

Comment

Working...
                  X