Pacific Rim 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacific Rim 2

Currently in post-production on the Gothic haunted house thriller “Crimson Peak,” filmmaker Guillermo del Toro has posted an announcement for fans of his 2013 giant robots vs. monsters movie “Pacific Rim”. First up, he confirms that he, Zak Penn and Travis Beachem are at work on the sequel, and that a release date has been […]

Thought I'd set up the main thread for this as we've got 3 years of updates ahead of us. As has been covered in the first films thread, Del Toro is fleshing this out as a direct sequel which follows on from the events in which the breach was closed and Ron Pearlman had his great escape. We could discuss for weeks the extreme pro's and con's of the film.

Personally, I'd be amazed if this wasn't the final entry so feel Del Toro should approach it as such. The first struggled outside of Asia and frankly word of mouth is such that a downturn in money earnt wouldn't surprise me. Now, a revamp could renew interest but then this being a direct sequel suggests he won't dishonor the first by having inconsistant characters and performances which sadly means another dose of the worst acting of the year. The action is good but considering this is by the same studio as the much superior Godzilla I'm surprised they took the gamble on this again, especially so close to G2's planned release. Fair play to Del Toro who must have pushed hard considering how long the studio took to make the decision though.

No-one's greenlit Dredd 2 though. Let that sink in. We live in a world that allows this

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    No-one's greenlit Dredd 2 though. Let that sink in. We live in a world that allows this
    And this is all sorts of wrong.

Comment

Del Toro was a design consultant for MegaMind. Now go look at the robot MM fights in midway through...

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
        Del Toro was a design consultant for MegaMind. Now go look at the robot MM fights in midway through...
        It's more that the guy knows his anime, specifically super robot anime. I mean the point where Pacific Rim showed off the ROCKET FISTS, I was already having the best time I've had in a blockbuster since Jurassic Park.

Comment

Pacific Rim doubled it's budget, Dredd did nothing. I did love Dredd by the way.

Hyped as hell to see what he's gonna do with a sequel, I've said it before but i loved Pacific Rim. It took giant monsters fighting each other to the next level, sure it's a little slow in the middle but as soon as you hit the Crimson Typhoon fight from there on out it's all gravy imo.

After watching the making of's, listening to the commentary and flicking through Man, Machines & Monsters a few times you get to appreciate the detail and effort that went into it. To hear Del Toro talk about Ultra 7 and Mazinger is just a joy, I never thought a movie like this would ever get made. A tokusatsu/super robot american made film with a budget of $190 million.....Love it love it love it.

And now we get a sequel and an animated series!

So yes very excited for the next few years to see updates, to see new kaiju, to see new jaegers and to see that after credits scene of Godzilla joining the fight....
          Last edited by NeoDragoN; 28-06-2014, 01:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            It's more that the guy knows his anime, specifically super robot anime. I mean the point where Pacific Rim showed off the ROCKET FISTS, I was already having the best time I've had in a blockbuster since Jurassic Park.
            I believe you'll find that is ROCKET PUNCH!!!!!!!

You guys need to play more SRW games. Get the first Z2 for PSP.

Comment

Good news to hear and 2017 is only 3 years away. Hopefully the actors have visibly aged adding to the difference in time between the 1st and 2nd films. There's no reason why a new kaiju threat can't appear for PR2 or the series, or if Del Toro is being crafty enough maybe we could get yaegers that aren't physically piloted by but taken over by the kaiju (a la Evangelion) but maybe that's too cliche.

In any case, I'm more than ready for more Pacific Rim. Much more satisfying than any of those Transformers films without a doubt.
              Last edited by Paddy; 30-06-2014, 11:47.

Comment

With the “Pacific Rim” sequel now officially set for an April 7th 2017 release, filmmaker Guillermo Del Toro has been talking about the giant robots vs. giant monsters follow-up whilst out doing promotion for his new TV series “The Strain”. Speaking with the Wall Street Journal, Del Toro revealed a couple of new details about […]

Despite being a sequel Del Toro says this will stand up alone also. It also seems we might be in for another dose of cringy accents too

Comment

Getting hype.

Comment

A sequel to filmmaker Guillermo del Toro’s “Pacific Rim” is locked in for an April 3rd 2017 release, but the director is already planning beyond that. Out doing press for “The Book of Life,” del Toro revealed to Collider that he is actually planning on making a third “Pacific Rim” film and is building in […]

Del Toro has said not all characters will feature strongly in the second film and that their going in a different direction to the first film. However, he is also planning out Pacific Rim 3

Comment

Hawaii this time?

If there isn't a Rust Hurricane or Koushiryoku Beam in this one, so help me...

Of of course the Big Bang Punch!

I mean, we basically had a Breast Fire last time:

Comment

Personally I'd like to see a GODO-FINGAAAAA

Comment

Even better would be a GOLDION CRUSHAAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                            Even better would be a GOLDION CRUSHAAAAAAAAAAA
                            GIGA

DORRRRIIIRRUUUUU

BUUUUREEEKAAAAAA

Comment

If we could get some Evangelion-level berserker or Eva 2 Beast Mode level activity from the Yeagers, I'd be dead chuffed to see that. Hope you go bigger an better all the way with PR2 Del Toro!

Comment

Working...
                              X