Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it was great and it seemed to be loved by just about every Trek fan I know. The individual episodes had their ups and downs of course but, overall, I felt it was really strong. Pike was an excellent addition to the show and, unlike season 1, it used its place in Trek history to its advantage rather than to its detriment.

Comment

I enjoyed them sneaking in riffs of the Kelvin movies theme in there too, considering how much Trek has been done and this is a very early effort from CBS Access it's a staggering achievement and doesn't get as much acknowledgement as it deserves considering they presumably aren't have Netflix style deals thrown their way too.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        Chernobyl
        Despite how young I was at the time I can still remember news reports on Chernobyl and the anti-nuclear push it led to as well as the concern raised about radiation reaching our shores. There's also the appeal of all those derelict images of the city these days but, despite this taken some fiction license, this is a pretty harrowing account of the events. It opens with the explosion at the power plant so is more about the days and months that followed but still covers everything. It's incredibly well made and despite it being a known outcome event you feel anxious throughout, it's so concerning as well because you know Russia hasn't changed and it's staggering the decision making that occurred and the disregard for human life. Right up there with the best TV of the year so far.
        I stayed up late the last two nights to binge watch this.

I would say the first two episodes were the best, with a slight lull in 3 and 4 as it spends long amounts of its running time following soldiers shooting animals that have been hit with radiation.

Apart from that, this is probably going to be one of those shows that stay with you.

The meltdown at the start was so nerve-shredding, it was hard going.
        The final episode was also very good as it tied everything up and explained what changes they'd made (one character to represent a group of people, for example) and what happened to the people involved, which the actors looked quite similar to!

It's interesting to read around it and see where the discrepancies are, but ultimately, you're going to have to base most things on peoples' memories or second-hand versions of events.

BBC article on how accurate it was from the opinion of a Chernobyl worker:
        A former engineer and diver give their verdicts on how the explosion at the power plant is handled.

Also, it's been well-received everywhere, including Russia, but the authorities and tabloid newspapers slated it.
        So much so, that Russia are making their own version of events that suggest than an American CIA agent infiltrated the power station and it's his meddling that causes the explosion:
        The series being produced by NTV will claim that the CIA was involved in the nuclear disaster.

Comment

Russia just makes so little sense these days, an entire nation of people so unwilling to confront the fact they live in a dictatorship that lies to them constantly on massive, corrupt scales. The bit with the rooftop groups being sent up for 90 seconds was just mind bending

Comment

Anyone watched Bodyguard? It's now on Netflix. It's gripping stuff. Guaranteed you'll binge it. Last episode is weak, but rest is spot on

Comment

And I-I-Iiiiiiiiiii will alwaaaaays love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Heheh, I thought the same thing

Comment

Me and the missus enjoyed it, spot on about the last ep that almost ruins it. They really shouldn't make a second run though

Comment

Last year, The BBC’s “Bodyguard” limited series became a TV phenomenon initially in the UK before doing so again a bit later when it went out worldwide on Netflix. In the series, “Game of Thrones” and “Rocketman” actor Richard Madden plays an embattled protector caught up in a devious assassination plot involving a key government […]

Sounds like it will be a fair wait for Line of Duty: Series 6 whilst talks have begun for The Bodyguard: Series 2 (no thanks!)

Comment

Watched the first ep of Too Old To Die Young on Prime. It was almost feature length ... but didn't feel like it had the content to match the duration. It looks incredible with it's neon drenched LA, and the first 20 or so minutes suggested it might be amazing ... but I didn't love it, and I'm not sure I'll watch the whole thing.

So I watched the first ep of the slightly more mainstream When The See Us on Netflix last night. It covers the case of a central park jogger attack in 1989 and the 5 teenagers charged with it. I don't know a lot about the real case so it'll be interesting to watch the rest (miniseries of 4 eps).

Comment

We finished off After Life on Netflix and really enjoyed it.

Comment

No talk of Chernobyl? That's some good TV, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                            Episode 5 was my favourite.

It's definitely a good mini series, but not the second coming everyone is making it out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                              On the previous page we said:

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Has anyone else been watching Chernobyl?

Holy smokes. Amazing, but sobering television.

I struggle a little with docudramas because:
                              A: Should we be deriving entertainment from such a monumental tragedy?
                              B: They take liberties with characters and events to make it more streamlined and exciting.

Things like a character all on his own observing something, but dies soon after. How do we know he saw it? We don't.
                              I take things with a pinch of salt and I'll watch a "what did they change?" video afterwards, but aside from that it's compelling viewing.

I watched the first two episodes last night and it was totally gripping. I had a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach throughout.

The main antagonist is the Russian leadership structure where everyone is scared to make a mistake as it'll cost them their lives, so reporting up the ladder is a series of higher-ranking officials saying "there's nothing wrong here!"

I'll definitely watch more tonight, with an aim to cram the remaining 3 episodes in.

However, you need a backup funny show to watch or you won't sleep!

I watched Big Mouth, which was so cringeworthy for the poor kids, it made Chernobyl seem tame.
                              The kid hanging from a zipwire whilst someone pulls down his pants was particularly painful to watch!
                              Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              Chernobyl
                              Despite how young I was at the time I can still remember news reports on Chernobyl and the anti-nuclear push it led to as well as the concern raised about radiation reaching our shores. There's also the appeal of all those derelict images of the city these days but, despite this taken some fiction license, this is a pretty harrowing account of the events. It opens with the explosion at the power plant so is more about the days and months that followed but still covers everything. It's incredibly well made and despite it being a known outcome event you feel anxious throughout, it's so concerning as well because you know Russia hasn't changed and it's staggering the decision making that occurred and the disregard for human life. Right up there with the best TV of the year so far.
                              Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              I stayed up late the last two nights to binge watch this.

I would say the first two episodes were the best, with a slight lull in 3 and 4 as it spends long amounts of its running time following soldiers shooting animals that have been hit with radiation.

Apart from that, this is probably going to be one of those shows that stay with you.

The meltdown at the start was so nerve-shredding, it was hard going.
                              The final episode was also very good as it tied everything up and explained what changes they'd made (one character to represent a group of people, for example) and what happened to the people involved, which the actors looked quite similar to!

It's interesting to read around it and see where the discrepancies are, but ultimately, you're going to have to base most things on peoples' memories or second-hand versions of events.

BBC article on how accurate it was from the opinion of a Chernobyl worker:
                              A former engineer and diver give their verdicts on how the explosion at the power plant is handled.

Also, it's been well-received everywhere, including Russia, but the authorities and tabloid newspapers slated it.
                              So much so, that Russia are making their own version of events that suggest than an American CIA agent infiltrated the power station and it's his meddling that causes the explosion:
                              https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48559289

Comment

I could've sworn I checked the last couple of pages... sorry gang.

But I'd definitely echo a lot of thoughts about it being a particularly harrowing watch - the last episode was particularly great, but I found some of the facts in the "real life vs dramatisation" summary at the end quite stomach churning.

Some other scenes that stuck with me; everyone watching the fire in the first episode just staring at it without any real cause for concern, and that horrendous scene where the helicopters were flying over attempting to try and put the fire out, where the first one is just taken straight out of the sky as folks watch in futility as they prepare to send in another. Blooooody hell.

Comment

Working...
                                X