The Purge 2 : Grammarpocalypse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Purge 2 : Grammarpocalypse

You know that movie The Purge? Well I think we should have something similar here:

Once a year, for 24 hours, those of us frustrated by the grammatical errors made by various people here are allowed to correct them on their poor grammar without fear of persecution. For the rest of the year we must remain silent, pent up rage kept under control.

You should check some of the posters made by Writing.Com, they're hilarious!

Do your best man.
    Do your best, man.

Use a comma.
    Save a wedding.

or

Zombies eat people.
    Zombies, eat people.

Use a comma.
    Command the undead.

or

If you're happy and you know it, crap your hands.

Avoid typos.
    Stay clean.

Comment

Excellent. Did J0e start that site?

Comment

I approve this suggestion. Seriously.

I try to convey what I mean in the best possible grammatical way, but I'm often not sure if I have done so correctly.

Please feel free to correct my errors.

For what it's worth, I'm English but I think Briareos puts me to shame with his command of the written word.

Comment

innit

Comment

This is a good idea.

Comment

i like cooking my family and my pets.

Use commas.Do not be a psycho
              Last edited by eastyy; 28-08-2014, 12:21.

Comment

I love this idea.

I'm always conflicted when someone posts something humorous, poignant or informative and it's riddled with spelling mistakes.

I even toyed with creating another secret profile called "Spell Checker" to quote and correct shonky posts.

Don't people have suggestions on their phones or squiggly underlining on their computers?

On one hand, I understand we all come from different backgrounds and may not have a history of education in grammar, but we're all grown-ups. Instead of learning pointless facts, spend five minutes learning the apostrophe rules?

I saw a sign yesterday that said:
                "Fast food at it's best"

Comment

Screw all uyo grammerphyles. It inst fair on us thicko's.

Should be quite amusing to see the amount of corrections that are made. Can't say I care for it too much though as I type as I would speak - ie: with little thought for grammar or the English language in general.

Comment

I'll be looking forward to the Where Are They Now thread

Comment

First up - and Ikobo's raised this one before - bought and brought. **** my hat, how does anyone get that wrong? Bought = past participle of to buy. Brought = past participle of to bring. Simple, no?

ECT. Just no. The word you're looking for is a contraction of the Latin et cetera. This leaves us with etc. (including the point) in English. Nothing else is correct.

The of/have debacle. In verb constructions, have is what is known as an auxiliary verb. Predominantly in speech, this is contracted to 've', so you have things like 'I should've xxx', 'It would've', etc. It's perhaps slightly more understandable that people might confuse this with of, as it's essentially pronounced the same way, but, alas, it's not right.

Mentioning no names - ahem - I've spotted another one popping up lately, which is a confusion between been and being, with been used where being is actually required. Been is the past participle of to be, whereas being is the present participle.

I routinely have to correct other people's ****e grammar/spelling in the course of my work. You'd be surprised at how many people who write for a living can't spell or are rubbish when it comes to grammar.

Comment

If Charles can approve this we just need to set a date!

Comment

Spotted today: Instead of "where" they had written "we're"
                          Mind blown.
                          Seriously?
                          Then again, it was the same person that thought a video of a 3 year old doing the ice bucket challenge and then shouting "xxxx me that was cold" was the funniest thing ever. It just made me sad. In fact... I'm blocking them from my feed right now.

Comment

While there are some horrific grammar crimes online, one thing I notice myself is the horror of touch keyboards and autocorrect. I can't write a single sentence on my iPad without a mistake somewhere and I've used it for something like five years now. And autocorrect exists to make us all look like total idiots. Mine changes well to we'll, for example. Simply put, my autocorrect hates me.

So I would like to formally request some sort of touch screen and autocorrect exemption clause when this day happens.

Comment

I like your excuse hunting there Mr Dogg!
                              Please be gent when the day comes, I've been in NA for too long now..

Comment

Working...
                              X