No announcement yet.

The Purge 2 : Grammarpocalypse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol. Have any of fine ladies and gentlemen read "Fearsum Endjinn"?

Comment

It's a real slog in the phonetically written sections, but it has a purpose and is interesting to read.
      I also thought of this book earlier, Chaz.

Comment

I’m proof reading a book for someone at the moment. It’s translated from Portuguese. I understand the meaning of what is being stated. The spellings are fine.

However, the clumsiness of language, the lack of clarity in flow, the jilted clouding of meaning, and the undisciplined command of English are bloody AWFUL to read. They suck the quality from the book, make it an ordeal to read, and unfortunately lessen its authority and weight.

So, yes. Standards are important, for a number of reasons. Any old pissflap can pen any old chod, but let’s not pretend that amateurish garbage deserves the same respect as those with discipline and command of language.

Comment

Translation is full of ****ty translators, unfortunately. Was the book translated by a non-native EN speaker? The golden rule of translation is only ever to translate into your native language. Saying that, the number of rubbish mother-tongue English translators around is depressingly high.
          Last edited by endo; 30-05-2018, 23:36.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Poor grasp of grammar and spelling can be tolerated, but I don't think it should be lauded.
            And ****, innit?
            That just about sums it up. I'd only add "in some cases" after "tolerated".

Comment

Why is everybody so strict about everything? So judgmental? All these imagined standards we set and expect everybody to meet. I don't like it. So stop doing it and meet my standard!

Comment

Just got a message.
                "Hi Amelia is here she sad to let you no"

I'm sad that she's sad.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  Just got a message.
                  "Hi Amelia is here she sad to let you no"

I'm sad that she's sad.
                  Amelia gave you free rein to no, Charles. Don't waste it.

Comment

Also the same person's nan had a sign on her house that said "No One". That missing dot makes it hilarious.

Edit: although a little sad because she died, so actually it's now accurate.
                    Last edited by charlesr; 31-05-2018, 20:43.

Comment

I've been reading several colleagues' emails and the number of spelling mistakes is shocking.

I've had a few close calls myself. Nearly signing off with "kind retards" several times.

Always read what you're about to send!

Comment

Kind retards?

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                          Translation is full of ****ty translators, unfortunately. Was the book translated by a non-native EN speaker? The golden rule of translation is only ever to translate into your native language. Saying that, the number of rubbish mother-tongue English translators around is depressingly high.
                          Sadly, it seems like the effort put into this translation amounts to little more that copying and pasting into Google translate. It’s absolutely rank.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
                            I've been reading several colleagues' emails and the number of spelling mistakes is shocking.

I've had a few close calls myself. Nearly signing off with "kind retards" several times.

Always read what you're about to send!
                            Head of my dept at the research lab I used to work at (super clever guy) trusted the spell check at the dawn of spell check and sent an email to Peter Vaughan, but signed it off at Peter Vagina. No topping that one.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              Head of my dept at the research lab I used to work at (super clever guy) trusted the spell check at the dawn of spell check and sent an email to Peter Vaughan, but signed it off at Peter Vagina. No topping that one.
                              Ahahahaha! I'd have been happy to receive that!

Imagine how many times Jeremy Hunt must have to triple check his surname

Heck, it should be new cockney rhyming slang

"That guy is such a Jeremy!"

Or

"he's a right Jeremy!"
                              Last edited by Zaki; 01-06-2018, 21:39.

Comment

Ex-colleague would constantly mistype "screenshot" as "screen****" on emails
                                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X