Amiga Games: The best of the bunch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amiga Games: The best of the bunch?

Still a great game that's really fun to play.

Maybe the best racer for the machine. The third game is also good, but doesn't run quite so well.

A fun action game that really shows of the A500 tech.

A fun platformer with a lot of charm.

This 3D racer is still impressive and fun to play. A timeless classic.

A stunning run-'n-gun game full of attractive graphics and stirring music.

Please post more Amiga games that you feel are great examples of what the machine has to offer.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 07-07-2019, 00:30.

A lot of my fave Amiga games were probably the ones already available on PC: Lemmings, Monkey Island, etc.

I remember having fun playing Alien Breed though

Comment

It came from the desert
      Ultima VI
      Rainbow islands
      F1GP
      Monkey Island
      Lemmings
      Worms
      Canon Fodder
      UFO enemy unknown
      Flashback
      Another world
      Sensi
      Syndicate
      North and south
      Beneath a steel sky
      Populous
      Elite
      Bubble bobble
      Plus those mentioned

Comment

Forgot about Syndicate, the gun sounds were great.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          I remember having fun playing Alien Breed though

I enjoyed it quite a bit at first, but felt it got repetitive quite quickly. I wish the developer had put more variety in and made it feel more like an arcade game. The graphics and sound are certainly top quality.

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          North and south

Such a gem. I used to play it a lot with friends and family. Really nice graphics and fun gameplay.

A fun platformer with nice graphics and a lot of charm.

A very distinct looking platformer from Bullfrog that's really fun to play.

The first Skweek game is nicer than the sequel. It's full of colour and feels quite addictive to play.

Comment

The Amiga’s 3D capabilities are always under-appreciated. Compared to the 16-bit consoles without additional chips, it blows them out of the water. Sure, the ST has decent 3D too but had awful sound and was crap at 2D.

A couple of my favourites that run silky-smooth even on a stock A500:

No Second Prize

Combat Air Patrol

And as for this, this was a proper sinkhole for me BitD. A Skyrim long before games like Skyrim existed; I couldn’t believe how a living, breathing, 3D fully textured world could exist inside my A500. It’s probably too pedestrian to play on a stock A500 these days so best suited to an A1200 or better, but it’s so open-ended that it might not feel dated at all given a beefy enough setup.

Legends of Valour

Comment

1 year before Bethesda came out with Arena. Very impressive! I’ve not seen this before. Keen to play it now!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                1 year before Bethesda came out with Arena. Very impressive! I’ve not seen this before. Keen to play it now!
                It’s great. You have to make cash fast in order to eat, drink and pay for board, else the city guards will bang you up for vagrancy. You can earn money through trading, mugging, taking jobs or by joining guilds, and depending which guild you join affects your characters abilities (warrior, mage, thief etc). Then there’s a storyline fed by following breadcrumb clues which I never really got into as I think I got lost trying to get to the next clue.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                  The Amiga’s 3D capabilities are always under-appreciated. Compared to the 16-bit consoles without additional chips, it blows them out of the water. Sure, the ST has decent 3D too but had awful sound and was crap at 2D.
                  Yeah, it's better than 16-bit consoles at 3D. The ST has a slightly faster 68000, so some 3D games(Stunt Car Racer is one) run faster.

But as you say -- the ST isn't great at 2D and sound. The Amiga hardware was cleverly designed to maximise the potential of 2D games. The soundchip, despite not being ideal when it comes to channels, could deliver some truly impressive audio. Clever people overcame the 4 channels to deliver great music and sound effects.

I'm still impressed by the 2D, 3D, and audio capabilities of the A500/OCS hardware. Sure, there are plenty of terrible Amiga games, but the best examples really shine when it comes to graphics and sound. There's just a huge disparity between the best and worst Amiga games.

No Second Prize
                  I loved it when clever people showed off the hardware. Such a stunning showcase.

; I couldn’t believe how a living, breathing, 3D fully textured world could exist inside my A500. It’s probably too pedestrian to play ]
                  Quite amazing for an A500 game. It's cool how you can boost performance with more powerful hardware.

Vroom has always impressed me. I've never been good at it, but I always admire how the dev got it to run so fast.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-07-2019, 20:14.

Comment

A technically impressive game with a fun sense of humour. Published by Psygnosis.

A really nice F1 game published by Team 17.

Team 17 also published this top quality top-down racer. It's a very tough game though.

Comment

In 2019 I would say Stunt Car Racer, The Chaos Engine, Speedball 2, Lotus 2, Mega Lo Mania. Nuclear War a guilty pleasure. The rest are probably done better elsewhere.

Comment

Anything by Bullfrog plus Sensible World of Soccer!

Comment

Most of my fav games have already been mentioned but I did love these too

Elite II
                          Xenon II
                          F29 Retaliator
                          RoboCop III
                          Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker
                          Brutal Sports
                          Pinball Dreams
                          Manchester United Europe
                          Syndicate
                          First Samurai

And tons more, which I can't remember now

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                            The Chaos Engine.

Easily one of the best A500 games. I love the graphics and overall design.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post

Brutal Sports

Pinball Dreams

Great graphics and fun gameplay. The Jaguar version is also really good.

I remember me and my friends loving this back in the day. Great graphics and unforgettable music.

Comment

A nice looking top-down racer that runs really well. Definitely still worth playing these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X