No announcement yet.

Anticipating: January & February 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a US import of Onimusha on its way, then Resi 2 Remake and KH3. MAYBE DOA6, but the beta netcode was utter shash, so its a wait and see on that one.

Comment

Travis Strikes Again and Resi 2 for me. I really want Ace Combat as well but can't afford it at the moment so will wait for a price drop. Same with DOA6.

Comment

The big three for me are Resi2, Crackdown 3 and Metro Exodus. I may try some others but they carry more concerns:

Anthem: Still not seen enough to suggest it's that worthwhile of the effort
        Kingdom Hearts III: Looks very pretty but the series never played well and the series is barely worth the effort anymore after Squares handling so feedback will be very important on this one
        DOA6: Could just be a DLC platform
        Episodic Games: Interested but not till the last eps

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          Kingdom Hearts III: Looks very pretty but the series never played well and the series is barely worth the effort anymore after Squares handling so feedback will be very important on this one
          Cant say I agree with that, the spin off's quality has always been up and down, but KH1 (to a lesser extent- but improved considerably in the remasters) KH2, and BBS have always been great experiences from a gameplay perspective.

Comment

For the benefit of my backlog and my wallet I'm probably going to have a quiet January purchase-wise, but Travis Strikes Back, Resi 2 Remake and Onimusha are the three that I would have my eye on.

Comment

I always found the combat in KH to be very subpar, I gave them some benefit of the doubt in the PS2 days because of the era it was but gameplay for KH3 looks better but not great. There are quite a few grating habits in the KH series really like the obscenely stilted voice acting and line delivery. Amazed it's still going in a way and says a lot about the Disney brand appeal, handled incredibly poorly by Square as a property

Comment

The combat improved massively when they got to Birth By Sleep and DDD, I found. I then went back and got the HD original because I had never finished it and found it as messy as ever so never finished it again.

Comment

I've already got Trials preordered and I'll more than likely pick up Resi 2 and that's about it. Maybe the Civ thing too.

Comment

I'll be honest, I had to Google most of this list.

PRO TIP: Don't do an image search for Senran Kagura at work.

Sunless Skies looks interesting, but I don't have a gaming PC.

It looks like Anthem is out too. That happened quicker than I thought.
                    I didn't realise Far Cry, Trials and Metro had sequels out so soon either.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      The combat improved massively when they got to Birth By Sleep and DDD, I found. I then went back and got the HD original because I had never finished it and found it as messy as ever so never finished it again.
                      KH2 is the best of them all,combat, mechanics and movement are at their best. Although i'm playing 0.2 A fragmentary passage currently, and its basically a 4 hour demo of 3, and its spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                        0.2 A fragmentary passage
                        I have no idea what this is! I must admit that I only played 2 after playing Birth By Sleep and DDD and felt it to be a bit of a slide backwards (and I guess that makes sense given that it was made before them). Love the worlds in 2 and, yeah, the combat is pretty good but it feels better to me in those two portable games.

My experience with Kingdom Hearts has been up and down. I loved the look and feel of the first but didn't like how it played at all. Then got the GBA one and very actively disliked it. So I skipped 2 and it was only years later that I got back into it through the handheld games and then worked backwards. I thought maybe it had just clicked for me but, no, I still don't get on with the ones that get closer to that first one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          I have no idea what this is! I must admit that I only played 2 after playing Birth By Sleep and DDD and felt it to be a bit of a slide backwards (and I guess that makes sense given that it was made before them). Love the worlds in 2 and, yeah, the combat is pretty good but it feels better to me in those two portable games.

My experience with Kingdom Hearts has been up and down. I loved the look and feel of the first but didn't like how it played at all. Then got the GBA one and very actively disliked it. So I skipped 2 and it was only years later that I got back into it through the handheld games and then worked backwards. I thought maybe it had just clicked for me but, no, I still don't get on with the ones that get closer to that first one.
                          Its part of KH 2.8 collection... this KH stuff is confusing...

KH1.5 = KH1, a Remaster of the PS2 remake of Chain of Memories, and a movie of the cutscenes in 358/2 days

KH 2.5 = KH2, a Remaster of Birth by Sleep, and a movie of the cutscenes of RE:Coded

KH 2.8 = A remaster of Dream Drop Distance, 0.2 a fragmentary passage, and a movie of the cutscenes of KH X Back cover.

0.2 A fragmentary passage is a 4-5 hour game following Aqua, after the events of Birth By Sleep, and how she finds herself in KH3.

0.2's combat is what KH3 will be, and its much more BBS than KH2 - you might find you enjoy KH3 if you preferred DDD and BBS.

F**K ME Kingdom Hearts is confusing.

ALL the side games are required reading for the full story, none of them can be ignored by the looks of it. Ridiculous when you write it out like that.

Comment

The narrative elements are a major hurdle and fluff up of Squares, I did play quite a lot of BBS and found that to play like guff too so not that sold still

Comment

Listen, it's perfectly simple

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. I have played most (all except one, I think - the DS recoded one) of the games (although not all to completion) and I have very little idea what's going on. Probably doesn't help that I played them all out of order but I get the impression that nobody fully knows what's going on in them. I haven't got the 2.8 collection because I played DDD on the 3DS. Mostly I loved DDD but the fact that it was missing Tron Legacy score of any sort was a tragedy.

Edit: That video is very informative. I might need to watch it in ten second chunks spaced out over the next while in order to process everything.
                                Last edited by Dogg Thang; 15-01-2019, 14:48.

Comment

Working...
                                X