Terminator III: Dark Fate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Welcome to the day after Judgement Day, Dark Fate Day.
    Dark FĂȘte Day

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      If you had to come up with an elevator pitch like Supes did, that pleases the fans, what is your idea?

You can post a silly one, but only if you post a serious one too!
      Okay, off the top of my head so this could turn out to be totally stupid but here goes... assuming that it has to be made now as in I can only make something set in the 90s if I assume an effects budget to de-age everyone - so a certain level of production practicalities here.

Present Day. Adult John Connor (probably in his 40s now) still trains for a war that never happened. Nothing that he was told ever came to pass. Enter a Terminator from the future who promptly kills him. Calm... but then a small team of Terminators appears and scatter. What we find is that the events of the first couple of films essentially prevented the future we saw in those films, leaving Skynet in its own paradox time loop until they realised that's exactly what was happening. To go back and undo it would only lead to the same events again so the idea is to start now. And the first step is to take down not only John Connor but pretty much anyone Sarah Connor has had close contact with since the first movie.

And now we're into a kind of Team Friday the 13th movie in which the Terminators pick people off one by one until Sarah Connor finds out what is happening and joins with the remaining survivors in order to beat the Terminators. No help from the future, no Terminator of their own. They are completely outmatched so the story is not really about winning - it's a struggle to survive the next minute. Then probably at the end, Sarah Connor finds that she can return with an escaping Terminator and where she ends up is a sort of paradox nowhere millions of years in the future where armies of Terminators kill her son over and over again through time.

Edit: Also none of the Terminators have any fancy morphing powers. They are gross meat Terminators that get stinky and rotten the way Arnie did in the first one.
      Last edited by Dogg Thang; 24-05-2019, 13:58.

Comment

Take #2:

We open post-fall of Skynet, a period never expanded into in the existing films. Katherine Brewster leads her band of survivors who now live in a post society age and free of Skynet. With resources few and their numbers at risk from the harsh world they now live in they send someone back in time to retrieve a power source they can use to thrive. Skynet is not dead though, in its final moments of defeat it retreated to a secure local location, when the time travel returns from the past and power is restored to the people Skynet seizes its opportunity to re-establish and repower a T-800 unit, sending it back in time to undo the power source mission and to help secure the end of the species it planned to wipe out originally.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          We open post-fall of Skynet, a period never expanded into in the existing films. Katherine Brewster leads her band of survivors who now live in a post society age and free of Skynet..
          She then travels back in time to meet her Great Uncle Monty Brewster (Richard Pryor) and they have to spend thirty million dollars before they get caught by a Terminator.

Comment

Terminator 5, Take #3

Skynet sends 5(!) Terminators back to kill John Connor. Each machine is sent back to a different day, but all 5 days are consecutive.

The first arrives on the final day and is successful in assassinating John. We fade to the arrival of the second, who arrives on the penultimate day and is also successful.

This continues until the final terminator arrives on the first day, however John is saved by the lone warrior sent by the resistance. This lone warrior now suffers from mental illness (if Human) or malfunction (if Terminator) due to the paradox of John being both saved and assassinated - the lone warrior maintains memories of all 5 timelines due to being sent through time during the manipulation of each timeline. The suffering is subtle at first, but grows progressively worse as the 5 days progress and John survives each instance of his previously established death.

The space-time continuum has had about enough of this bs too, so throw in some timestorms while we're at it.

I don't know how this ends, so I guess that qualifies me for Hollywood?

Comment

Originally posted by D J Kix View Post
              Terminator 5, Take #3

Skynet sends 5(!) Terminators back to kill John Connor. Each machine is sent back to a different day, but all 5 days are consecutive.

The first arrives on the final day and is successful in assassinating John. We fade to the arrival of the second, who arrives on the penultimate day and is also successful.

This continues until the final terminator arrives on the first day, however John is saved by the lone warrior sent by the resistance. This lone warrior now suffers from mental illness (if Human) or malfunction (if Terminator) due to the paradox of John being both saved and assassinated - the lone warrior maintains memories of all 5 timelines due to being sent through time during the manipulation of each timeline. The suffering is subtle at first, but grows progressively worse as the 5 days progress and John survives each instance of his previously established death.

The space-time continuum has had about enough of this bs too, so throw in some timestorms while we're at it.

I don't know how this ends, so I guess that qualifies me for Hollywood?
              Okay yeah, so you need an ending but I LOVE this. This is a superb idea. It's a bit like Memento crossed with Terminator and turns it into a really unique scifi film while retaining many Terminator elements. Very clever.

Comment

Terminator 5, Take 4:

I always think about what would have happened to the original Terminator if he'd succeeded...

He stands there on the doorstep of Sarah Connor with her corpse at his feet, mission accomplished.
                Then the police turn up and his survival instincts activate and starts killing the cops.
                This escalates until a veritable war is happening in downtown L.A. as the Government see the value of this machine, the potential edge a foreign country has (time travel seems less plausible an option to them) with this technology and try to stop it without damaging it.

Based on this rescued Terminator, Skynet evolves the AI defence system and nukes the Earth, but this time, it's the original Terminator that is intrinsically linked to the system (its "Father") and it destroys Skynet for stopping it from doing its primary objective and killing Sarah Connor (again).

Skynet then has a last attempt to stop its demise by sending a new Terminator to stop the original Terminator getting into human hands.

In doing so, the original Terminator is unable to complete its mission and kill Sarah Connor...

Comment

And the Terminator is given a human langer and is called Kyle Reese (the Terminator, not the langer) and the cycle is complete.

Comment

How about this...
                    In 1995 a leading scientist develops the first plans for time travel, which is later used as a working model by Skynet in 2029. A T800 is sent to 1995 and copies the plans. It then waits for a judgement day that never happens because of the events of T2. In 2019 John Conner, having time to train and think, sumises that Skynet could use a Time Paradox to reestablish judgement day. He suspects that a terminator is in possession of the Time Travel plans and they begin a hunt to prevent it. The Terminator is found and goes on the run (because its mission is to retain the plans, not to kill John). You end up with a role reversal film where the terminator is hunted by John.

Comment

Though he had no real involvement in it, filmmaker James Cameron stuck his neck out publicly to promote 2015’s “Terminator Genisys” – a film so bad it nearly destroyed the already waning franchise. With the upcoming “Terminator: Dark Fate” however, Cameron is back properly this time – albeit only producing (not directing) and helping come […]

Bit of an eye roll at the hyperbolic statement of Genisys being franchise killing. Had licensing options not unfolded the way they did there would have been a direct sequel given the film was easily more successful than any other entry in the series bar T2.

Cameron describes the new film as being tonally more like T2 because it's an r-rated white knuckle ride... not sure that's how I'd describe T2.

Comment

Yeah and to lump T1 and T2 together tonally seems totally off because their tones are poles apart. I wonder how long it has been since he has watched them...?

Comment

Originally posted by D J Kix View Post
                          I would prefer they did a final one, where something happens that prevents SkyNet from using time travel altogether. That's one of the key problems. With time travel, everything can be undone, no matter how "final" a story seems. I think to give the series lasting closure, you have to sew up that hole.

Comment

Take 6.

One long episode of Britain/America's Got Talent.

Comment

A new TV spot and more details about the upcoming Tim Miller-directed and James Cameron-produced “Terminator: Dark Fate” have been revealed, the former including Linda Hamilton’s Sarah Connor offering her reading of one of the franchise’s most famous lines. CBM have also published a report which offers new details that have apparently emerged from recent […]

Apparently this takes place 'shortly after Terminator 2' which has to be wrong given the clear age difference. Skynet is completely destroyed and has been replaced by a group called Legion that sends a T-Rev9 to kill Dani Ramos, the new Resistance sends back Grace to protect her until Sarah Connor intervenes.

Comment

It might just open right after T2 and then jump forward. But then it's a time travel story so really anyone can be anywhere in any time.

Comment

Working...
                                X