No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that RAM is definitely overpriced. It is RGB 3600CL16, even so it's well above what I'd pay.

There is some good news on the PC front tho - it seems used GPU prices are coming down. They're still way above what they should be, but I am now seeing some RTX 2080 cards go on eBay for around the £400 which is definitely better than were they where a few months ago.

Comment

It is overpriced but i like the idea of the hardware reflecting its temps and all controlled by the same controller node & software, price you pay for uniformity.

Also, as you can tell I’ve thrown budgets out the window pretty much. Hopefully gpu prices continue to drop.

Comment

I don't think it's worth paying nearly double for. You can go with the same RAM but with CAS latency of CL18 and I doubt you'll notice the difference. I was able to change the timings on my RAM to CL16 even tho it's CL18 rated, but it's a manual process and a bit pot luck whether it'll take.

If you don't care about budget tho, go for it and get the Noctua NH-D15 tower cooler at the same time, they're awesome

Comment

I’ve read great things about the noctua cpu coolers but they are soooooooo big in the case. I’ll get the dimensions off the listing and see what sort of room it leaves int he case. Maybe the discreet one might be better for my build.

Comment

The D15 is a tight fit for most cases due to its height, and you'll might want to doublecheck memory clearance if the banks have fins and/or RGB bling on their upper side. Another good performer is Be Quiet!'s Dark Rock series. They should be friendlier to small cases and larger RAM DIMMs, but they are in boeing black instead of Noctua's classy shades of brown.

Comment

One nice thing about Noctua is that they'll send out new mounting hardware for future sockets for free. I guess you could look at it as an investment in that regard.

Comment

Yeah, defo check the case clearence as the 15 is a huge cooler. I cheaped out and bought the Noctua NH-U12S redux - they run quiet and the fans will outlast the majority of the competition. Still not a cheap cooler, but it's also about the mounting system and Noctua are lightyears ahead in this respect.

Comment

Been happy with my BeQuiet Shadow Rock LP on my Ryzen build:

Comment

Mobo turned up today. Quite nice in person, for a mobo that is, will look good in the case with the fans on casting ambient light over it.

Comment

Well this is a bummer, mobo doesn't fit, MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI just doesnt fit in the case, none of the screw holes line up nor do the ports with the back of the case.

Manual of the case says it needs an ITX board or an MATX, dam. Any ideas on a decent one anyone?

Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO-P seems to be compatible with the case and pcie4 ready. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08L74NCPQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A2KVF7QXNCLV8H&psc=1
                      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 23-02-2022, 17:57.

Comment

You bought the:
                        Corsair CC-9011136-WW 280X Crystal Tempered Glass Micro ATX PC Case - White

and then bought an ATX motherboard. D'oh!

Total pain caused by Amazon who in the description of that case describe it as ATX. I would change the case. You don't want a little form factor case.

Comment

Well i chose that case to sit in my desk and look nice instead of an ugly monstrosity under and hidden. Really after something on the smaller side to be honest but it seems this particular case while being decently sized is only suitable for ITX & MATX boards.

What a pain and yes, doh.
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 23-02-2022, 18:19.

Comment

D'oh, I should have said above yes that's the mobo I have ... but it won't fit in that case.

The Asrock X570M PRO4 is pretty decent mATX board for the asking price and will happily sit well with the Ryzen 7 CPUs.

Comment

Its my fault I should of checked it all properly, i saw atx and atx and assumed it would fit as it has a good amount of space in the case, but doesn’t fit atx mobos.

Comment

Rumbles that Nvidia is lining up a September 2022 launch for a wattage hungry line up RTX40XX cards

Given how completely and utterly pointless that line up will be I was aiming to replace my PC around the time they launched but I'll easily hold out till at least the 50XX's now.

Comment

Working...
                                X