PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    If you have Amazon Prime, you may or may not know that they have a freebie game selection every month as part of Prime Gaming for PC.

However, it looks like they've spent a bit more cash for Prime Day this year and seem to be putting some big hitters on the list. There were rumours around that Amazon was interested in EA as an acquisition, and many of these games are from EA's doors. Runs from June 21 to July 13.

Notable games on the list include

Mass Effect: Legendary Edition (July 12-13)
    Grid Legends
    Need for Speed Heat
    Star Wars Jedi Academy

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/am.../1100-6504677/
    Cheers. I might finally play Mass Effect! I have 1, 2 and 3 across multiple platforms somehow but never got more than an hour into any of them.

Comment

AMD has made available the source code of FidelityFX Super Resolution (C++, HLSL, APIs) under the MIT licence.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
        AMD has made available the source code of FidelityFX Super Resolution (C++, HLSL, APIs) under the MIT licence.
        I'd like to see Skyrim maybe get in on some of that action.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
          I'd like to see Skyrim maybe get in on some of that action.
          Why? Doesn't Skyrim already run at 60fps+ at 4K on modern systems?

Comment

Not when you add 30+ mods to it like dataDave does

Comment

If you have a Voodoo 5 and a 16:9 or 21:9 monitor, here's a driver you might be interested in:

Comment

Finally got round to trying out Prodeus and this game is completely badass. Definitely rivaling Amid Evil for best recentish throwback FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                  Why? Doesn't Skyrim already run at 60fps+ at 4K on modern systems?
                  No. Even the base game is hard-capped at 60. It requires a mod to unlock it.

I'm running some mods which replace the lighting and shadows with true volumetrics that adapt in real-time along with the sun and moon phases, as well as simulated ray-tracing for the interiors. It looks utterly spectacular and next-gen already, but the 3080 is beginning to dip to the 40-50FPS range even at 1440p.

It's utterly futile hoping for DLSS support for about a hundred reasons, so I guess AMDs Super Resolution is the next best thing - especially if they're releasing it publicly.

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                  Not when you add 30+ mods to it like dataDave does
                  More like 491. xD

Around 1/3 of those are optimisation, bug and engine fixes. Another 1/3 on balancing. The final third being texture replacers and geometry updates. Outside of de-leveling the world (like a true RPG) I try to get my game running as close to the original as possible, just more fixed and prettier.

Comment

According to recent Asian reports, Intel is contemplating price hikes for many of its products. Intel Xeon and Intel Core CPUs for desktop PCs, laptops, and servers will soon be offered at greater cos...

Intel said to be considering a major price hike soon

Comment

Risky move if AMD doesn't follow suit.

Comment

TSMC and Samsung already have announced there will be a price hike too, it's not simply Intel but rather another industry-wide shortage.

Comment

So the ARC GPU line-up from Intel kinda shrunk. It looks like these are all pretty low-end cards now, with nothing competing with the RTX 3070 or above (Intel are now claiming there never was a 3070 competitor, that box is just intentionally blank). They also seem to be pulling more power compared to the competition.

So the prices for these are going to need to be very competitive, especially with the launches of the next AMD/NVIDIA cards due very soon. I'd definitely be waiting for the reviews before putting an order in.

Reported in PC Perspective
                          Last edited by MartyG; 21-07-2022, 07:40.

Comment

Hey, at least they are finally debuting those. I'm pretty sure noone ever thought they'd go toe-to-toe with AMD and nVidia all across the line, though I'm pretty interested in efficiency (TPD, power drawn, heat) of those cards.

Comment

Intel are plenty rich enough to develop and produce a card, don't think there was ever any doubt it'd come to market eventually - they're claiming that they have the best value price/performance, but all the info so far has been very carefully choreographed by Intel (like LTT's fawning video the other day). They're just a bit late in the day when next gen cards are on the horizon.

If they are well priced and available and can match the other offerings in performance, then they might present a compelling purchase. I just want to see the reviews without employees from Intel hovering over people's shoulders as they're filming.

Comment

The latest Steam update allows for all of Nintendo's Switch Online retro controllers (NES/Famicom, SNES/SFC, N64 and MD/Genesis) to be used.

Comment

Working...
                                X