No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, looks like September 20th is the announcement of the RTX 40XX graphics cards. Can't imagine it's anything else.

Comment

Interesting timing, ETH merger is expected around 15th - was previously 16th - 20th
      Countdown - https://watcher.guru/ethmerge
      I wonder how many 30 series cards are going to end up being sold off on the cheap unless mining pools currently mining ETH can find an alternative thats still cost efficient. the 40 series cards need to be much lower priced this time around.

Comment

Digital Foundry's analysis of Intel's upscaling technology.

Comment

EVGA will no longer manufacture nVidia GPUs, which corresponds to around 80% of their current revenue. And they are not entertaining the idea of partnering with AMD or Intel either.

Comment

I saw yesterday - EVGA makes some good cards, but I can't see this impacting on NVIDIA's business as much as it will on EVGA. Despite claims otherwise, I'd predict layoffs in the next six months. Although it may not represent 80% of their profit margin (that figure is revenue, not profit), it's still a significant percentage of it, so it can't not have a negative impact on them if they're not filling that income with something else.

Another board partner will just come along and snatch up any 4XXX silicon EVGA leave behind, and people will continue to buy NVIDIA GPUs like before.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
              I saw yesterday - EVGA makes some good cards, but I can't see this impacting on NVIDIA's business as much as it will on EVGA. Despite claims otherwise, I'd predict layoffs in the next six months. Although it may not represent 80% of their profit margin (that figure is revenue, not profit), it's still a significant percentage of it, so it can't not have a negative impact on them if they're not filling that income with something else.

Another board partner will just come along and snatch up any 4XXX silicon EVGA leave behind, and people will continue to buy NVIDIA GPUs like before.
              I was thinking though...EVGA have fabrication processes of there own plus plenty of graphics card engineers, it would be funny if they made there own original graphics cards instead

Comment

It would be a miracle if that happened. It's a bit of an over-simplification, but essentially they take NVIDIA's silicon and put coolers on it. There's a massive massive difference between what EVGA has been doing and developing your own GPUs from scratch, as Intel is currently finding out.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                  It would be a miracle if that happened. It's a bit of an over-simplification, but essentially they take NVIDIA's silicon and put coolers on it. There's a massive massive difference between what EVGA has been doing and developing your own GPUs from scratch, as Intel is currently finding out.
                  Year not much chance of evga doing this, it’s rather difficult to make silicone chips in any capacity, hence why it’s quite a big deal when a fabrication plant goes up for sale.

Comment

$1200 for RTX4080. Glad this gen of RTXs is an easy one to skip thanks to the heavily protracted lifespan of cross gen

Comment

RTX 4080 starts at $899, 4090 at $1,599 - I think they might struggle at those prices given the Crypto market has evaporated (at least after the initial mad rush), this will be especially true if AMD pulls the rug from under their feet with the 7000 series cards. I'm not going to be rushing out to buy one till we know the bigger picture.

Last edited by MartyG; 20-09-2022, 17:38.

Comment

On Era, without being able to really delve into the details yet myself, it seems like Nvidia is resting a fair bit on DLSS3 to impress. That the raw gains of the cards don't justify the prices and they may have left an open goal for AMD

Comment

And that was impressive - there are some increases in CUDA cores and changes to clocks (they are a lot higher), so there should be raster improvements but I would be waiting for the reviews to see how that impacts real-world usage, rather than NVIDIA's "charts" without any kind of axis definitions.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 24GB
                          CUDA cores: 16384
                          GPU boost clock: 2.52GHz
                          GPU base clock: 2.23GHz
                          Memory: 24GB GDDR6X
                          Memory interface: 384-bit
                          Graphics card power: 450W
                          Power connectors: 3 x 8-pin (or PCIe Gen5 cable)

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB
                          CUDA cores: 9728
                          GPU boost clock: 2.51GHz
                          GPU base clock: 2.21GHz
                          Memory: 16GB GDDR6X
                          Memory interface: 256-bit
                          Graphics card power: 320W
                          Power connectors: 3 x 8-pin (or PCIe Gen5 cable)

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 12GB
                          CUDA cores: 7680
                          GPU boost clock: 2.61GHz
                          GPU base clock: 2.31GHz
                          Memory: 12GB GDDR6X
                          Memory interface: 192-bit
                          Graphics card power: 285W
                          Power connectors: 2 x 8-pin (or PCIe Gen5 cable)

RTX 3080 Ti
                          NVIDIA CUDA Cores 10240
                          Boost Clock 1.67 GHz
                          Memory Size 12 GB

RTX 3080
                          NVIDIA CUDA Cores 8960 / 8704
                          Boost Clock 1.71 GHz
                          Memory Size 12 GB / 10 GB

Comment

DLSS3 is 40xx exclusive which is fine except for the seeming lack of info on DLSS2 comparison. Going off the list of 35 compatible games though it doesn't seem likely to stretch the possibilities of almost any card new or not for a while

Comment

450 Watt graphic cards! £1400 to buy and another £1400 to run your rig for a year…

Comment

Working...
                              X