PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
    If you can, get a Seasonic unit. Seasonic are OEMs for a lot of other good-to-premium brands, and they have their own line of excellent products. They might be hard to find though. Corsair is a solid choice.
    Anecdotal but I had 2 Corsair PSUs die on me. And 2 of their Water Coolers. And RAM. And a keyboard. Actually every bit of corsair equipment I have ever owned has died, always within the warranty period.

Comment

That seals the deal the the asus rog strix 850w then.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        Anecdotal but I had 2 Corsair PSUs die on me. And 2 of their Water Coolers. And RAM. And a keyboard. Actually every bit of corsair equipment I have ever owned has died, always within the warranty period.
        You've had RM PSUs die? I've never had an issue with them myself and they're generally considered an A tier PSU.

Currently running a 1000W Rog Strix gold in my gaming rig tho.

Comment

Yep. Had one blow up on initial power on building a pc for a friend and one gradually die in that windows was fine but launching a game would kill it.

Comment

Hope you didn't get them from NewEgg. Actually I don't know if they operate in the UK, but I wouldn't be buying from them if they did

You do this stuff to your customers, eventually you're going to get unlucky and scam an influencer with some integrity.

Comment

I went for the ROG strix 850 In the end which just turned up.

Looking forward to start putting it together, its been some years since i did one from scratch.

I really was going to stick to a budget at one stage but as the business is buying it I’ve since thrown that out the window 😁
              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 04-02-2022, 14:49.

Comment

Might be a daft question, is it worth getting an anti static mat?, given the cost of all these parts just to be on the safe side, my desk is solid oak so its not like its conductive.

Comment

The static discharge is from yourself rather than the surface you're putting stuff on, built up from dragging your feet in nylon socks across carpets for example. The chances of you actually damaging components are quite small in reality (though not impossible), LTT showed just how much static charge it takes to destroy DIMMs, for example.

If you ground yourself by touching something that's earthed (like the outside of the PSU plugged in but turned off and touching that) you'll discharge any static and handle stuff by the edges will minimise the chances of it being a problem. You'll be fine.

If you were handling components all day every day, that'd be different.

Comment

This is what I figured when doing some reading, not much point then, cheers Marty.

PSU went into today. Will get the mobo next week I expect.
                    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 05-02-2022, 15:56.

Comment

Cool shark-themed case mod.

And with shark-themed, I mean the case is shaped like a shark leaping out of the water.

https://landing.coolermaster.com/cmw...ery/leviathan/
                      Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 17-02-2022, 19:13.

Comment

Mobo ordered, went for the MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI. Now I'm going to go for a ryzen7 5800x, whats a decent cooler to pair with that? I was going to go for the amd wraith prism, but if there’s a better option I’m all ears, I don’t want to go water cooled.

Edit. Had a further look and the noctuas seem very well regarded but there so fugly, and mahoosive.
                        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 18-02-2022, 06:20.

Comment

Good. Water cooling sucks ball sack.

I don't know anything about Ryzen coolers specifically, but I can highly recommend 'be quiet!'. That's what I use after doing tons of YouTube research. But then I'm OC'ing an 8700K, and you might not need to go that far.

That Wraith Prism does look pretty, and the price is good. I have no idea about the performance, but it's made by AMD innit, so it should be good enough.

Comment

So the case came with the corsair rgb case fans and a controller unit (seemed well regarded and nice and quite so i left them on as an option), i wouldn't normally go for rgb stuff but these ones can be linked to your cpu, gpu temps and give you a visual indicator of what's going on, hot, cold etc, which i really like the idea of.

Can their ram do the same? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-VEN...ef_=ast_sto_dp
                            Last edited by fishbowlhead; 18-02-2022, 07:18.

Comment

If it's supported via iCue it will be able to, yes: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/ar...CUE-4-or-newer

Comment

That set is literally double the cost of my Ballistix...

For cooling while the Wraith Prism is acceptable I'd still spend a few quid on a single tower cooler for the sake of noise. For example the Hyper 212 Black Edition is a great shout for a CPU like that. As nice as the NH-D15 is from Noctua I don't think I'd be able to justify the cost.
                                Last edited by speedlolita; 18-02-2022, 07:20.

Comment

Working...
                                X