No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a 4K screen for TV & Consoles in the office, but only a 1440p monitor (27", 144hz) for the PC. Tbh I'd hold off as long as possible on 4K for PC gaming as I could given the rising costs of GPU's and monitors, amongst other things. As [MENTION=13863]speedlolita[/MENTION] says the real estate is nice but not as useful for gaming.

Comment

Yeah I'd have a 4k monitor but really just so my text editor would be easier on the eyes. Resolution is low down on the list for gaming, as shown by my love of PSVR with it's low Res fuzziness but 120fps and 3d audio.

Comment

My 4K TV is only 43" but since the first day of loading up Forza Horizon 2 on it the difference over 1080p has always been immediate and very apparent. Proper anti-aliasing always helps with 1080p as Switch proves as its games in docked mode are pretty fugly but I'd have to sit well back to not notice how much 4K>1080p. With my GTX1080 I can hit 4K 60fps in most games too at pretty solidly high settings. Some new releases push it due to optimisation or genuinely being taxing but 1440p/60fps is always in reach as the next step and even that is noticeably better than 1080p. Though getting the right performance in higher titles also means not upping ones that are pointless, shadows can be toned down, Ultra settings are usually pretty redundant at any resolution and at 4K you don't really need to have much or any anti-aliasing going either.

The introduction of 8K though, that's still a good while off for general use at the right price and genuinely pushes the pointless button. Especially as they already have 16k screens in existence meaning the threshold seems to have been hit for consumer sets. It'd be nice if once 4K is standard they finally lean more towards 60fps.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          It'd be nice if once 4K is standard they finally lean more towards 60fps.
          Said every time there is a res bump and it never happens because enough people buy into the next res bump.

Comment

Sadly too true, you have to hope that the performance options that Pro and X have led to being introduced become the norm and those still sporting 1080p TVs into the next gen can enjoy almost across the board 1080p/60fps as standard.

Comment

https://www.twitch.tv/nvidia Press conference if anyone cares.

Comment

This all seems incredible, the next step in graphical computing.

Comment

Woof!

Nvidia reference prices taken from OC'er forums. I'm guessing third party coolers/boosted cards are even more.

2080Ti - £1099.00
                  2080 - 749.00
                  1070 - 569.00

Comment

Might have pre-ordered a 2080 Ti.
                    Last edited by speedlolita; 20-08-2018, 17:34.

Comment

There's no way I can justify £1099 on a graphics card. I'm not sure I can justify £750 on the 2080. Still, getting a 502 Bad Gateway on NVIDIA's shop at the moment, so I can't order one anyway.

Comment

If I was buying I would want to see the benchmarks first. And the prices of the non-reference/3rd Party cards. My last 3 GPUs have all been MSI's and I'd personally prefer that over a reference cooler. That said it looks like they have changed that long-standing blower on the reference model.

Those prices are awful though, as bad as a lot of people were predicting.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                          There's no way I can justify £1099 on a graphics card. I'm not sure I can justify £750 on the 2080. Still, getting a 502 Bad Gateway on NVIDIA's shop at the moment, so I can't order one anyway.
                          I was personally more shocked by the 2070 than the others. The 1080Ti has been sitting at high prices for a while so the top end cards were going to be bad. However if the 1070 is nearly £600, how bad will the price for the 2060 or 2050 models be?

Comment

Yeah, the benchmarks will be interesting. It's all well and good pushing how massively great the ray tracing engine is, but if the raster rendering isn't much of a step up for those games that aren't supporting the RTX part, then it's going to be even more difficult to justify the cost to myself.

The lighting details in the demos are very impressive though.

Comment

Gibbo is saying 7pm for OCUK pages to go live.

Comment

$499 for the 2070
                                $699 for the 2080
                                $999 for the 2080 Ti

September 20th

Let's see what they work out at in UK prices, but that looks like it should be lower than those posted above.

Comment

Working...
                                X