PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prices aren't quite as bad as the Nvidia Founder Edition UK RRP's:

NVIDIA is a world leader in visual computing technologies. Buy an NVIDIA GeForce graphics card and build your dream gaming PC at Overclockers UK.

Edit: Scratch that, they are just as bad.
    Last edited by Digfox; 20-08-2018, 18:37.

Comment

The partner cards are pricey mind. Scan has the pre-orders up too: https://www.scan.co.uk/search?q=2080

Yeah, think I'm going to stick with the 1080 for a while longer yet, might take another look in the new year.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        $499 for the 2070
        $699 for the 2080
        $999 for the 2080 Ti

September 20th

Let's see what they work out at in UK prices, but that looks like it should be lower than those posted above.
        Think the pic I posted was official, just FE prices. US FE prices are about $100 more.

Some of the oc 3rd party versions are even worse. A few there for £800 (2080).

Comment

So there’s a £180 price difference between the 2070 and 2080, or about a 32% increase. But £350 (47%ish) between the 2080 and the Ti... I wonder if this will be reflected in the performance benchmarks?

Comment

Bloody madness those graphics card prices.

Comment

This is what happens when there's no competition. Still really want one though.

Comment

I was lucky enough to preorder my vega, and got it for a resonable price. A month or so later, and it was worth double second hand value, then what I had paid new.

Coin mining had really screwed the market, now it’s on the decline, watch all these shops and makers come back cap in hand to the hobby market.

Comment

It's nice of them not to hold back the Ti for an extra year.

That said I don't see a need for anyone to upgrade their 1080 or 1080Ti unless they own a $50876876 monitor.

Comment

Those prices are insane, im on a 780ti at the min that is struggling ive got nowhere to go, maybe a 2nd hand 980 for 10% gains. Geh.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                      Those prices are insane, im on a 780ti at the min that is struggling ive got nowhere to go, maybe a 2nd hand 980 for 10% gains. Geh.
                      What's it struggling with, other than 4K?

You could get a second-hand 1080Ti soon which will last you until EVERYTHING is pushing ray-tracing, which I'm guessing will be around four to five years from now.

Comment

The other thing is that there's still a risk that Ray Tracing doesn't really get any meaningful developer support where Nvidia aren't paying developers to push it. Lower common denominator and all that.

And what is crazier is the fact that although all these pre-orders have opened I am reading tonight we may be anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks away from reviews and benchmarks. So there is no benchmark, or relative performance we can compare to. It might be truly wonderful or just small performance gains.

I'm certainly not upgrading my Nvidia 1080 atm. In fact I'm starting to thing about downsizing (and not like Matt Damon) and being able to enjoy a smaller PC.

Comment

Been doing some pricing up and there are several of these 'gaming' (i.e. horrendous) style laptops from ASUS, MSI etc. on the market circa £750 upwards. I've found I can for £780 ish there are two models which would get me a i5, 1060 3GB setup and 1080p screen. Only 8GB DDR4. The benefit is that I could probably break-up the CPU/Mobo/Ram/GPU from my current PC for that sort of money. Then use the NVMe, SSD and 4TB HDD I'm left with, between the two boxes (basically giving my Unraid server a storage boost - which would be good). Then I'd only be stuck with my monitor, mouse, keyboard although I would continue to use this with the new laptop.

The major benefit would be that this massive case and desk I have now could all meet its maker and I'd have much more room in my office.

For all the lower performance that would give me, it's still mildly tempting because of the larger space it would give me. Also for 1080p even a low end 1060 would probably cut it. And I wouldn't feel that bad given the laptop wouldn't have cost me much over £750.

Sorry for the brain dump.

Comment

With Ray-tracing I imagine a lot will rest on how much the next consoles support it as they seem to be that lowest common benchmark for the generations games. Two years likely to get the first answers on that so I'm happy to continue with my GTX1080 for that time and probably a year in (so 2021) get a new PC from scratch as the motherboard, ram etc will likely all need updating too by then as well and the RTX2180 will either be out or the RTX2280 will be on the near horizon.

Comment

Also:

THQ Nordic has extended its deal with Microsoft to bring five more XBO/UW games to Steam with ReCore and Super Lucky's Tale leading the charge

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                                With Ray-tracing I imagine a lot will rest on how much the next consoles support it as they seem to be that lowest common benchmark for the generations games.
                                It feels like a red herring, as to help hide the fact that the performance jump isn't going to be that great.

Comment

Working...
                                X