PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

We have a main thread for every format except the PC so I figured it was time to very belatedly rectify that. So, here is a place for general discussion and updates on that very wide open world called PC gaming.

I figured I'd open with the most recent news bits floating around on the net that haven't already been covered in the relevant threads.

-Steam Accessed
    If you've recently been invited to take part in a raffle for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive items while chatting in Twitch, the good people at F-Secure have a bit of advice: Don't do it.

Scrupulous netters have been using malware via a Twitch campaign for Counter Strike weapon raffles to hack users Steam accounts and empty their wallets, so if your a regular user bemalware!

-Doomkey Kong Country
    Someone has impressively reworked a custom version of Donkey Kong Country built out of the Doom engine. They've released a demo, but below is a vid. It's looks just like a fanmade, the Doom engines effect is fairly subtle, gives it a 2.5D look

-The Older Scrolls
    A new trailer is out for Skywind, the fanmade attempt to remake the entirety of Morrowind in the Skyrim engine. Still early but looking good.

Last edited by Neon Ignition; 29-03-2023, 11:36.

the only PC game that matters. Gang beasts

Comment

At first I thought wtf watching that, it's oddly mesmerising though

Comment

@ 7:40. That game looks like a beer drinking, at home with the mates laugh fest.
        Last edited by 'Press Start'; 15-09-2014, 23:12.

Comment

Gang Beasts is awesome. As are Lethal League and Nidhogg.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            At first I thought wtf watching that, it's oddly mesmerising though
            the truck fight at 7:40 looks like something only Hollywood could do

Comment

That looks crazy and loads of fun in 4 player! Does anyone see the Powerstone influences in it???

Anyway i'm looking forward to joining the PC master race proper soon as i will be buying a top spec gaming PC but i'm not sure wether to wait for a good 32 inch 1440p gaming monitor to come out or get a 27inch 1080p that's 120/144hz as i sit fairly far away from the desk. The only 1440p 32inch monitor i'm aware of is the Benq BL3200PT:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MO-099-BQ

But iv heard it's only average for gaming and is more for professional use. Does anybody have any experience with it or seen it in action?

The other option is go for the smaller 27 INCH 1080P Benq XL2720G thats 144hz and is G-Sync enabled. It's due out around the end of next month:

Does 120hz/144hz really make a difference or is 60hz fine? I understand to get a game at 60fps at high/ultra details in 120/144hz would require a top graphics card but i'm planning on waiting for the Geforce 880 which i think would be powerful enough.
              Last edited by Sam The Man; 16-09-2014, 03:20.

Comment

If you're at 60fps then your refresh rate only needs to be 60hz. You won't detect any more than that. 120hz and greater has 2 uses as I see it: 60fps in 3d and frame rates higher than 60fps. If you can detect frame rates higher than 60 then games can look pretty damn sweet.

Comment

60fps is as smooth as you will ever need really. And of course, console developers, the optimum.

Comment

I will say that you've probably never even though about it but just seeing the Windows pointer move on a 120Hz display will make you realise that there is a world beyond 60fps

Comment

Can we just call it pc gaming or something I hate the master race tag, you wouldn't walk about with a t-shirt that said master race on it well you might but you would probaly get lynched. lets just leave the bad taste stuff on reddit with all the cat pictures, memes, and naked celeb pictures. I may get shot down for this but I don't really want my pc gaming here to be associated with something as horrible as the murder of a massive amount of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        I will say that you've probably never even though about it but just seeing the Windows pointer move on a 120Hz display will make you realise that there is a world beyond 60fps
                        Or moving your FPS view left and right really fast. 60 is good enough for me, mind - for general/realistic usage.

I'm tempted to do a play-by-play of some of my Requiem Survival Skyrim dungeon moments, I need to see if my on-board mic is up to the task. Bleak Falls Temple is ABSOLUTELY ****TENING.
                        Last edited by dataDave; 16-09-2014, 10:02.

Comment

Thread title needs a 3+ character word for search. What should I use? IBMPC? er..

Comment

ICBM.

Comment

Maybe PCS, it's practically getting to the point of being a Steam platform at this point so half the updates will probably be related to that too

Comment

Working...
                              X