No announcement yet.

Xbox One : Thread 04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's a great move, for consumers at least. It's an other option to consume games and hopefully the service comes to PC at some point. There's a risk for third-party publishers that it might affect their games negatively, i.e. MS consumers buy subs and then less games.

That said I think the big caveat is what's been said on ResetEra et all. Whether Microsoft continue to get even more aggressive with Microtransactions and Lootboxes, something they have already been implementing. That would put me off the service for newer games.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
      Also worth noting that when you subscribe to Game Pass you get 20% off games that are in game pass if you wish to purchase, 10% off dlc.
      So people can play them to death for £8 a month. Or buy them at RRP with 20% off when they have the game pass?, that they can use to download for nothing and complete?

Yep, that’s totally going to encourage sales and actual cash flow into MS games studios.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
        So people can play them to death for £8 a month. Or buy them at RRP with 20% off when they have the game pass?, that they can use to download for nothing and complete?
        Will the new games remain on the service or rotate off, like some of the older content does?

That I can imagine may be a reason to buy games you like.

Comment

Games rotate off game pass so if you want to continue playing Sea of Thieves, after they remove it, you have the option to buy it digitally for 20% off.
          So you can pay £9 and play it for 30 days, you can buy the game for £39.99 in a shop on release, or you can buy it for 20% off the digital price before it’s removed from game pass and continue playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgear View Post
            Will the new games remain on the service or rotate off, like some of the older content does?

That I can imagine may be a reason to buy games you like.
            They haven't committed to saying 1st party games will stay forever, I think it's quite feasible that many will, because the end goal is not to have you buy the game but to continue subscribing. Halo 5 has been in the service since day one and has date for being removed.

For something like Sea of Thieves which requires a gold sub to play anyway AND has will have a microtransaction element. It wouldn't make much sense for them to remove access to the game for a bunch of people who are spending on those 2 things.
            It's one of the core reasons that Netflix started producing their own content, it didn't cost them anything to keep it on the service.

They logic for many will be

I can buy Crackdown 3 for £50 up front.
            Or I can pay £7.99 and play it for a month, but also I can play Halo and Forza and Metal Gear and Whatever else I like the look of.

Now maybe I consider ending my sub, but actually I quite fancy playing more of crackdown, but that will cost another £40 to buy and I'll lose access to some other games I enjoyed.
            Either way I've spent £50, slightly less if I subbed then purchased.

The more time that you spend subbed, the more value you are going to lose by having to purchase your favourites.

I recently unsubbed from Apple music, but to purchase the few albums I have come to love over the last 12 months is gonna cost me more than subbing for another year. In one go.
            Last edited by EvilBoris; 24-01-2018, 11:31.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post

Yep, that’s totally going to encourage sales and actual cash flow into MS games studios.
              Seems. To work well for EA Access. This a brilliant offer and good value. Can’t work out why you are being so negative. The pass was good value before and even better now.

Comment

I mean, it's alright, but a lot of games could be bought on disc for less than the price of a month.

If you get a lot of gaming time and could get through 2 games a month it's worthwhile, otherwise just buy. I also feel it has the netflix too-much-choice issue.

Comment

It's not how I want to consume games ... great idea though.

Comment

Well just don't moan when MS are laying off even more in house studios because people are only paying £8 a month and on the books the in house studios are actually all completely in the red.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                      They haven't committed to saying 1st party games will stay forever...
                      I thought that was the case, although I think your logic makes sense. That said MS does sell games as well as Game Pass so ultimately this is about an additional revenue stream for them. Where as Netflix and Amazon were driven to create their own content through lack of control on film rights and Studios were building their own streaming options (i.e. Disney).

I personally find that Music streaming services offer other advantages over buying music outright that I don't think Game Pass (or EA Access) have as such. For example, Amazon Music will charge to store your personal music collection in the cloud, where as obviously that becomes much less of an issue when you subscribe.

Comment

It depends I guess. In principle this is quite good. If I bought 1 month everytime MS released a worthwhile exclusive I'd be paying £14 a year with plenty enough time to finish the games so great stuff as otherwise its much higher. Sucks for MS though. This works well if you get all your games on Xbox, though most gamers do that via PS4.

Great idea, likely minimal impact though.

Comment

Surprised people are having issues with this (one of which seems to be 'you get too many games', which, ?!?!?). It seems like really good value. At £8 per month that's £96 per year. If you play 2 brand new releases on the service during that year you're essentially cost neutral - everything from there is gravy.

Comment

Appears you can use Game Pass on PC for any of the Xbox Play Anywhere games, even if there isn't a PC specific version of the service atm.

(Taken from RLLMUK).

As an aside been watching a bit of Sea of Thieves earlier and it looks like phenomenally good fun in a group.

Comment

Met up with my friend from Rare tonight and asked if he knew this announcement was coming and said he found out the news the same time as us!

He's pleased though as it means more people who are on the fence about Sea of Thieves are more likely to give it a go.

Comment

**sigh** Properly regret buying the X and a tonne of digital games.

The visual upgrade from PS4 Pro was not that noticable to my (middle aged) eyes.
                                I really dont like the dashboard.
                                Most importantly of all, I havent enjoyed any of the exclusives and instead just feel like a have a guilt complex around the new backlog.

On the other side, it is a nicer looking and far quieter unit than my PS4 Pro.

Will see if I can get it sold.

Comment

Working...
                                X