Mount Ontake erupts in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mount Ontake erupts in Japan

Damn that's some scary stuff, seems like many people were trapped on the side of the volcano when it went off.

Some people recorded footage as they were on the volcano at the time, i would be ****ting bricks if that was me.
    Last edited by importaku; 28-09-2014, 07:15.

I love that major world events can now be viewed as if through a very tall and narrow door. Thanks, smart phones!

Comment

I'm sure as they were fleeing an erupting volcano that they were thinking of using the best filming position to capture said events.

Comment

You're right, they were probably preoccupied with figuring out how to hold the phone without touching any of one side of it. This would have been superpimp in widescreen, though!

Comment

If it's not in 60fps...let's just not.

Scary stuff. I'm glad Takao didn't erupt when I was hiking on it in 2009.
          Funny, they said that Ontake erupted last in 2007 but I really don't remember...

Comment

I was living in Japan in 2007, I'm sure I'd have heard about it if it had. And I didn't think Takao is volcano.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              Some people recorded footage as they were on the volcano at the time, i would be ****ting bricks if that was me.
              I lived very near a volcano whilst over there, and people do get very blase about them. I remember the first time I saw activity, I was bricking it, but the Japanese around me barely seemed to notice.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                I was living in Japan in 2007, I'm sure I'd have heard about it if it had. And I didn't think Takao is volcano.
                I just think of every mountain in Japan as a volcano by default.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                  I just think of every mountain in Japan as a volcano by default.
                  Isn't that literally true? I mean even if they're solid rock now, they were a volcano at some point? I thought Japan formed as a volcanic archipelago; like if you could go back 20 million years, it'd be like Hawaii.

Comment

I'm disappointed there's no footage of Gojira to go along with this . . . .

Comment

All volcanoes are due to Space Godzilla.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      Isn't that literally true? I mean even if they're solid rock now, they were a volcano at some point? I thought Japan formed as a volcanic archipelago; like if you could go back 20 million years, it'd be like Hawaii.
                      That's pretty much what I was thinking but couldn't remember anything to back it up.

Comment

I suppose if you have all those amazing natural thermal hotsprings, erupting volcanos is the price you sometimes have to pay. I have no idea how i'd react if all of a sudden the mountain you were living next to decided to wake up & you had to abandon everything.

Comment

Can't say I saw anything on TV so I guess it wasn't that big. I agree on the phone view though But that's because I turn it horizontal without even thinking

Comment

31 deaths apparently so far, from those pics it doesn't look that minor to me.
                            The bodies of 31 hikers are found near the peak of Japan's Mount Ontake as rescuers search for those missing since Saturday's sudden volcanic eruption.

Comment

Well, it just goes to show how much TV I watch then. Still, nothing about it on this mornings news. Not that I was paying attention anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X