The Play Expo - Manchester thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Play Expo - Manchester thread

Who's going to Play Expo Manchester then 10/11 October 2015?

I'll be there hosting a hardcore mix of Retro & 360 challenges as RetrogradeGamer and running the ever popular Random Fighting Championship!

Massive thanks to Quality Chimp & RC's Cauterize for the RetrogradeGamer Image/Logo help respectively, EDF4/RC massive stay strong
    See http://www.playexpo.net/ for more stuffs.
    Last edited by ^Katsu; 16-07-2015, 06:14. Reason: It's not 2014 anymore

Anybody else going to this tomorrow?

QC is going to be in the hizouse! (I think that means "house")

Comment

How the fizz-cock did I miss this? Yet again weekend is booked up.

Comment

I will be on the Retro Collect stand helping out.

Comment

k0pp0 = FAIL

Nakattack! I'll come find you and flip a coin.
          Heads gets you a man hug, tails gets you a wedgie.
          Excitement!

Comment

Wish I had planned to attend this. Need to check the Retro Collect calendar more often.

Comment

Would love to go, but it's Manchester - that's like timbuktu for us Londoners!

Comment

I live on the south coast! No excuse!

Comment

To be fair to Shozuki I live six miles away in Altrincham and I'm meeting my sister at the Trafford Centre tomorrow so will actually be less than 100m away at some point and I'm not going (I'd never actually heard of it until now) is it like a low-rent E3 or a collector's convention/market? I could possibly be lured by the promise of PAL SNES/N64 consoles for sale.

Comment

Have a browse of the link Katsu put up, Pikate, to see if you're interested.
                    The North's biggest gaming expo is back for its sixth year

It's not trying to be E3, which is about people touting their wares, this is a show by gamers for gamers, split into 5 sections.

Re.Play is the biggest retro gaming event in Europe, offering both purists and casuals access to the widest collection of video game history ever seen in the UK.It brings together consoles, computers, arcade games & pinball machines, with over 100 of each set to free play.

Now.Play is modern gaming. There's going to be over 100 PS4s to play on and some game companies there, such as Konami.

Pro.Play is the competition area. Both classic and new games, such as Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.

Cos.Play is videogame costumes.

Screen.Play is new this year and has loads of movie memorabilia such as a DeLorean and cars from Transformers.

Comment

I demand a group shot of the gang from here. QC, Naka, Kats, anyone else who's going but keeping it on the down-low, mush your mugs together and say cheese! I would come but my skin catches on fire if I go outside the M25.

Comment

Going from the pics on Twitter it looks ace

Comment

Well, that was rather good!

I'll try and post some random pics later.

Comment

Random thoughts:
                            It was really good and it was in an enormous hall. Everything was sectioned really well, so everything you were after was grouped together. There were stalls, a PS4 area, retro arcades, pinballs, card games, cosplay stage, talks, PC gaming, consoles and a few others.

Had to laugh at the exasperated guy on the PS4 section who was bemused why loads of people would quit out of the assigned demo game, just to play FIFA. Who comes to a videogame show to play FIFA?!

Driveclub looked very pretty, but didn't play it.

Got to play some arcade cabs I'd normally avoid for being too tough like Commando, APB and Rush 'n' Attack. Had the top score for a while on Commando.

Timesplitters (PS2) still looks amazing, but Goldeneye (N64) was really jerky. 60fps is the reason, according to Nakamura!

The pinballs were fun to play, especially the newer machines like The Walking Dead and the AC/DC table which had loads of interactive features like a Hell's Bell, Runaway Train and For Those About To Rock cannons. Fire!

Keep and eye out for Gang Beasts, which had people cheering, shouting and laughing at it every time I went past it. The guy running the stall said he couldn't get rid of some kids who'd been on it all morning and refused to stop playing! It easily had the best reaction from any game I saw there, even more than any PS4 game!

I played some candy cab running a DoDonPachi game and it was lovely! Want!

GundamMad.co.uk were there and had some lovely kits. I was *this* close to buying a Real Grade kit.

[IMG][/IMG]

A lot of the cosplayers were brilliant. Most of the girls were school age, so I didn't take any pictures, but their costumes were really well done. In fact, I've never been somewhere with so many cosplayers before, so much that I saw a guy dressed in a trenchcoat and scarf carrying a pint and a pie and I had to ask if he was dressed as some obscure character!
                            My fave was the guy dressed like Captain Commando.

There was loads of retro games on sale. I like this stack of peripherals, the Poweglove and the basket of Famicom games.

There was a fair bit of Virtual Reality stuff including Virtuality and Oculus Rift. Funniest of those was watching people thrusting up and down on the sadle of Starters Orders 6.

Game of Thrones, DeLorean and Bumblebee were there.

So, it was a fantastic day out that I'll try and do again next year. You lot really should have come too!

Comment

i didnt think it was as good as the one they did in 2013, mainly for the fact Nintendo didnt bother showing any of their new stuff thats on the way, last time, they had Mariokart8, mario 3d world, zelda LTTW and loads of other stuff, this year, nothing at all, Komani had a load of space showing off PES1015, who honestly even plays that awful game these days..

Was an enjoyable day, managed to play some Roadblasters, Spyhunter and other 80s arcades i loved back in the day but it just felt something was lacking that the previous years had..

Comment

Working...
                              X