Nice places to live in Oxfordshire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 'Press Start' View Post
    Have you considered Reading or Newbury? Not quite Oxfordshire but they are a stones thrown from the M4. Reading is supposed to be quite nice and with the Reading festival held every year I guess the music scene should be quite active. I live more North/West Oxfordshire, bordering Buckinghamshire.
    Eeeee.. Reading? Can't say I'd recommend it really.. Cirencester is alright though, and if you're minted Bibury, Barnsley and surrounding areas (near Cotswold Water Park) are lovely.
    Last edited by k0pp0; 11-10-2014, 20:18.

Comment

Woodstock is beautiful, especially as access to Blenheim Place and its grounds are free to Woodstock residents. Perfect for you and the dog! We take the kids there often as we are just 10 mins drive away.

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
        Eeeee.. Reading? Can't say I'd recommend it really.. Cirencester is alright though, and if you're minted Birbury and surrounding areas (near Cotswold Water Park) are lovely.
        Cinema and live music were in the requests so......

If it was beautiful places to live then I would have gone towards the Cotswolds area.

Comment

WOMAD and the Malmesbury Town Hall Cinema.

Actually, there's a lot of pop up stuff going on in the Cotswolds, pubs, shops, cinema's all sorts really.

Not that I go to any, cuz I'm a grumpy bast.

Comment

I'm from Oxfordshire originally. If you are looking at north Oxfordshire avoid Banbury as it's a bit of a hole (no offence to anyone who lives there, lol). Woodstock and Chipping Norton are both very nice with pubs and shops, as are the slightly smaller Deddington and Charlbury. Avoid Kidlington as, again, not nice.

You also have the super pretty/twee (depending on your POV, I find them a bit twee) Cotswold villages like Burford, and further south Dorchester-on-Thames. These are pretty small places with nice places to buy high end groceries and olde-worldey pubs.

You could also live in Oxford city itself but it's a bit of a nightmare for driving. North Oxford is the best and most expensive area, particularly Summertown and Jericho.

Comment

Some lovely places in Malmesbury and Royal Wootton Bassett. In fact, there seems to be no shortage of beautiful property down there. Getting an idea now of a few places that appeal, though I'll only really know when I get down there early next year and get a feel for the place. Cheers for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
              X