This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work experience in IT (ICT?)

I've been sending letters and emails for many months now asking local IT companies for some type of work experience so I can make a start with that sort of career. I've never had a single reply though. Is there any way to go about this better? I've tried to be honest and say that I have no experience in IT or qualifications as in practice, I couldn't convincingly 'fake' knowing about something I have no professional experience with or ever taken a course in. I don't know anyone who works in IT either so have no contacts to ask directly.

OK, to be honest, if I got a letter through from someone wanting work experience in a field they have no prior experience in, or qualifications then I doubt I'd bother writing back. You kinda need one or the other. Could you offer your services out locally, fixing PCs etc. and earn some bucks form that? You'd learn on-the-job so to speak and then could eventually write an honest letter to companies detailing things you actually know and have experience in?

Comment

I honestly don't have the skills to do that. I wouldn't go about claiming I could do things that I can't or don't know how to do. Also, I am interested in IT work rather than technician work too, if that makes sense, proper IT work. I have got no-existing skills at the moment though, use a web browser, write a basic document, move files about between folders, that's it really.

Comment

Get an MCSA book and start going through tasks on your own computer to get some basic skills up, at least that way you can show to potential employers that you are working towards a qualification.

Try applying to any local schools to see if you can job shadow the IT department (will need CRB clearance - they will prob do that for you).

Also look for first line support jobs, something that involves just taking & logging calls to get an idea of the sort of issues you may face in an IT environment.

Comment

Sorry grapple, I made a huge assumption there.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
            Get an MCSA book and start going through tasks on your own computer to get some basic skills up, at least that way you can show to potential employers that you are working towards a qualification.

Try applying to any local schools to see if you can job shadow the IT department (will need CRB clearance - they will prob do that for you).

Also look for first line support jobs, something that involves just taking & logging calls to get an idea of the sort of issues you may face in an IT environment.
            I don't know what a lot of that means. I do not know anything really about IT jobs. I have never worked in IT.

I cannot afford to take any courses or qualifications. I looked into it but I'd have to pay 100% out of pocket for whatever it was, but I do not have thousands of pounds lying around, unfortunately.

I did write to and email a range of organisations that are in IT but none replied.
            Last edited by Grapple Convoy; 07-11-2014, 15:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Grapple Convoy View Post
              I don't know what a lot of that means. I do not know anything really about IT jobs. I have never worked in IT.

I cannot afford to take any courses or qualifications. I looked into it but I'd have to pay 100% out of pocket for whatever it was, but I do not have thousands of pounds lying around. Also getting onto a course would be difficult even if I had the money as I am disabled, I would be worried about the learning provider being discriminatory. I had to struggle a lot to get any post-16 education. I guess an IT degree would be most useful but you're only allowed one student loan.

I did write to and email a range of organisations that are in IT but none replied.
              Ok, MCSA is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...trator_or_MCSA

You can buy a book which is basically a leaning guide to take the exmas to become an MCSA, though you don't need to - I never have. The information will provide you with the basis for trouble shooting Windows and really is the bottom line when it comes to starting out as an IT pro.

Comment

Hate to be harsh. But you need to go to college and get qualifications. Or have proven work experience. Being a bedroom it wonder doesn't really cut it

1000's of people are looking for it work now. I interview new IT staff and to be honest if people say I have no experience or it qualifications on the form it goes in the bin pile as the other 50 applicants do. Even for the basic Helpdesk role. Who only answer the phone and log calls.
                Last edited by internetuser; 07-11-2014, 21:02.

Comment

Shame really, I've got a bunch of IT skills but they're not worth a damn. lol

Comment

If you're coming into IT with no experience at all Microsoft have just launched a range of courses called an MTA, Microsoft Technology Associate, these are fundamental courses for people with little or no experience in IT. The courses range on everything from desktop support and server administration to database and development work.

You don't need to go on any courses to pass these, you just need to get yourself the appropriate book which will cost you about ?25, do alot of reading, alot of practical exercises (labwork) and practice exams. You then take the exam which will cost you ?79 with a free retrial if you fail first time. After passing one course you will be an MTA, this means that you will have an industry recognised qualification.

If you want to get into support, I would recommend starting with an OS fundamentals course, then if you want to carry on do the server or network admin courses. This will give you a grounding in IT, whilst also being able to stick it on your CV that you've got a Microsoft qualification.

Microsoft site here:

Comment

My friend did an MCSA course through the Job Centre, think you had to have been unemployed for over six months though, might be worth a try if you fit the criteria?

Comment

Exactly why do you want to get into IT?
                        I ask because normally people try and earn a living in an area they are interested in, so they actually enjoy what they do, but it sounds like you have no interest in it yet, but something has prompted you to choose IT, so what's driving you in this direction?

Pros:
                        Fun if you like creating or fixing things and helping people
                        Decent money for tapping keys all day
                        Cons:
                        Global marketplace
                        Tapping keys all day

Comment

I was told it was good for people for people with specific disabilities to get into, and can provide a liveable wage. There's an enormous amount of unchecked discrimination towards people with disabilities in the workplace so I have to look at 'suitable' workplaces. I have never worked in or studied IT due to discrimination in the past, particularly in education, I ended up studying things I had no interest in as I was only given a few options or alternatives.

I can't afford any qualifications or college courses. I would have to pay entirely out of pocket and I don't have thousands of pounds to spare. I was hoping that if I found some work experience myself, the employer would provide training and qualifications. I've always been told that would be possible, although I've never had any practical help from anywhere to coordinate things.

Comment

You might want to re-read Jamie's post mate. If you go in that direction, it sounds like there's not very much expenditure at all, especially considering you end up qualified at the end of it.

If that doesn't sound suitable, I don't really understand what else you're looking for? As others have said, there is no magic solution. You need some sort of qualification, skillset or experience to start in any profession, not just IT. Best of luck though chap
                            Last edited by dave heats; 08-11-2014, 12:36.

Comment

I don't seem to have the 'right' equipment/computer to do that sort of course, and it is still a lot of money on something when I don't know what it is, and if there's no guarantee of making money attached to it. I know there's a lot of 'dud' qualifications that are meant to be recognised but aren't that colleges like people to do, used to be GNVQs when I was at school. I know the right way of getting into certain types of work is do get an applicable degree and aim for a 1st or 2:1, but from what I've seen there's no way for me to get funding for further learning.

Is there any sort of organisation where I can ask to pay for training, provide training along with doing work experience?

Comment

Working...
                              X