Help get me motivated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help get me motivated...

Nearly died in sept, things arent going great with the girlfriend, made it to uni but I'm still recovering from near death.

I need some sort of rousing motivational speech. The sort you'd see Alfred give batman if he got hurt or something.

Who here will be my alfred?

Aw man, probably not me. I woke up last night and I have no idea what I had been dreaming about but I found myself gripped by a sense of my own mortality and it scared the bejaysus out of me. Not a good night.

Not helping, am I?

Well I could say it will all work out for the best. I didn't believe that because sometimes life totally sucks and it sounds ridiculous when things are going bad or the type of thing people put on a card but, actually, I think it does work out for the best if you do one thing: take time out to recognise when things are good. Even if it's just a few things that are good. This does two things. One is that it gets you focusing on the good (too often we focus on the sucky things in life). The second though is more important - it presents you with an outcome of many different choices and events and even if those events were totally awful they were still a part of the journey to getting to that good thing. And at that point you say to yourself that it all works out for the best and you'll be right. It becomes true. I'm not a believer of trying to think our way to happiness (usually that seems blinkered and weird to me) but it's still important to acknowledge the good when it happens.

But if you have no good happening now then there is another message buried in there - things change. They always change. Whether we like it or not, life has ups and downs and ups again. And downs again. And more ups. It doesn't ever truly settle. So no matter how rubbish things are now, it will not always be like that. It just won't.

So ride it out. Or just make a change yourself so you can get there faster. Either way, things are going to get better for you. Then put on that batsuit and own the night.

How did you nearly die?

Comment

One thing at a time dude. Maybe start with the gf because at least that's something you can impact (er... so to speak).

Or strap a rocket to a bicycle and leave a Ferrari for dust (see bicycle thread).

Comment

Really sorry to hear you're having a bad time of it mate.

From past experience, I'm learning to look forward more. Looking forward with aspirations and targets will make sure you keep the bigger picture in mind, and keep you motivated for achieving what you want.

Life is short, and far too fleeting to spend it worrying about people who aren't good for you, or settling for second best because it's the right thing to do. Have a think about where you want to be in life, and don't stop until you get there.

Head up, and smash life right in it's chops.

Comment

Make a change.

Make a list of the things that are making you unhappy and one at a time go through the list and try and do something about each one.

There is nothing you can't change and be honest with yourself, e.g. are you staying with the girlfriend because she makes you unbelievably happy or because you are scared of life without someone? If it's the latter I know what I'd do.

Comment

Think of all the really crap stuff you've been through, times you thought you couldn't make it. Then realise that you did make it through every single one of those times. Good luck buddy.
            Last edited by Brad; 10-11-2014, 19:10.

Comment

You're not dead so get out there and do something! Think of all the people who have died today and go live a little for them.

Yeah, not so good at this either...

Just remember my favourite interaction between Alfred and Batman:
              "Can I at least convince you to take a sandwich with you sir?"
              "I'll get drive-thru"

Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                Nearly died in sept, things arent going great with the girlfriend, made it to uni but I'm still recovering from near death.

I need some sort of rousing motivational speech. The sort you'd see Alfred give batman if he got hurt or something.

Who here will be my alfred?
                Isn't escaping near death supposed to be the motivator?

I'll echo Dogg Thang's question 'How did you nearly die?'

Comment

Carpe Diem - "seize the carp"

Comment

Lmao. Morning chimp.

Comment

Heh, thanks.

It's a quote from one of life's greatest thinkers - Homer.

Simpson, obviously!

Comment

This link has swears so I can't post the image but this is always motivational for me (as it happens it was just what I needed this morning).

Comment

Apparently the swear filter even censors hidden hyperlinks

Comment

Well that's lame. I'll leave you guys to work out which word comes after 'mother' and correct the hyperlink.

Comment

Or you could use this. http://bit.ly/1sF5t05

Comment

Working...
                              X