TOHO Godzilla 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOHO Godzilla 2016

With Prinnysquad busy doing his nails or something, I guess I'm left doing all the kung-fu, EDF and kaiju news!

Ten years after “Godzilla: Final Wars,” the last Toho-made Godzilla movie the Japanese studio is gearing up to make another film featuring its iconic character.

"TOKYO — Ten years after “Godzilla: Final Wars,” the last Toho Godzilla movie, trampled across the screen, the Japanese studio is gearing up to make another film featuring its iconic character.The movie is scheduled to begin production in the summer of 2015 and bow theatrically in 2016, Toho sources have revealed. Details, including director and cast, have yet to be announced.

The inspiration is the success of Gareth Edward’s 2014 “Godzilla,” which earned $525 million worldwide and JPY3.2 billion ($26 million) in Japan, with Toho and Warner Bros. Japan co-distributing.

Toho has launched what it calls the Godzilla Strategic Conference (Godzi-Con), a committee of studio executives and directors whose aim is to reboot the Godzilla brand, including the new “Godzilla” pic.

The head of the new Godzilla project, veteran producer Taichi Ueda, told the press that, though Toho will not spend the $200 million reportedly lavished on the American “Godzilla,” “The time has come for Japan to make a film that will not lose to Hollywood.” Ueda added that Toho hopes to make Godzilla a character that “will represent Japan and be loved around the world” by the time of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

As part of its effort to reacquaint a new generation of Japanese with the country’s signature monster, Toho plans to erect a giant Godzilla statue in its Toho Cinemas Shinjuku theater by April of next year.

Meanwhile, Edwards has been signed to make “Godzilla 2,” which is set for a June 8, 2018, bow, with Legendary and Warner Bros. again co-producing.

The 28th Godzilla pic since Ishiro Honda’s first in 1954, Ryuhei Kitamura’s “Godzilla: Final Wars” earned a disappointing $12 million following its 2004 release, prompting Toho to put the character into cold storage."

No news on whether it'll be a CGI or rubber-suited titular character.
    Last edited by QualityChimp; 10-12-2014, 07:51. Reason: Tidied up quote

Sorry, NeoDragoN was already on it:
    Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

My thread has a picture of Godzilla on a tricycle in it though:

Comment

That is a relevant and important image.

Comment

Just as well I held off tonight's Tommy Tank until I'd read this news!

Proper 'man in a suit' effort required. For all I liked the Edwards film, Japanese Godzilla has to be a blerk in a suit whuppin model cities.

Comment

Word is that filming has started and it will use the same blend of CG and suits that Attack on Titan used, with Toho hoping for better success this time around

Comment

I quite liked final wars with all its silliness, especially when gojira f'ed up 'Zilla 1 time. It had Mike Haggar in for Goodness sake! I'm sure Toho can do a better job than that ****e aot movie. They just need to have no screaming kids in it.

Comment

I LOVE Final Wars. Wasn't a fan on first watch and yet, for whatever reason, I adored it on the second. I think I had a couple of more serious favourites and wanted Final Wars to be more like those. When I watched it a second time, I went in knowing what it was. Really fun movie with some awesome sequences.

I'm all for a new Toho movie. Bring it on!

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                Proper 'man in a suit' effort required.
                I initially thought you meant tommy tanking while wearing a condom to reduce the sensation and allow you to go for longer.

Comment

The teaser is out:

The release date has also been set for 29 July 2016

Comment

Looks like someone made that trailer using their smart phone

Comment

Godzilla appears to be quite light footed, also.

Comment

As if the office workers would actually leave work early to run away.

Comment

"Those looking forward to the upcoming Shinji Higuchi/Hideaki Anno-helmed Godzilla film got a surprise today, as photos leaked from Toho Studios show the new version of the Big G set to hit screens in July.

The photos, which were likely taken on a cell phone and leaked by someone inside the studio, reveal Godzilla’s scales looking like the “keloid scars” of hydrogen bomb victims, says Godzilla expert August Ragone.

The new Godzilla suit, which will be operated by a team of three people, was designed by Mahiro Maeda (Mad Max: Fury Road, Evangelion). The suit revealed in the leaked photos “may not be [Godzilla’s] only form,” according to Ragone.

The film, which is officially titled Godzilla Resurgence in English, is due out in Japan July 29."

Comment

Really not sure I like that look but phone photos out of context aren't going to do him justice at all so maybe it will turn out just fine.

Comment

I kind of get the suit love etc but they rarely look great. Based purely on these images I'm generally not keen. The scarring and general frame is fine but the teeny arms and Chewitts monster eyes are poor. May look better in the film though, kind of scary that Hollywood might have won this battle though.

Comment

Working...
                              X