Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ongoing project] Playing all versus fighters - chronologically!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, same. The great thing about Darkstalkers is the the crazy fun over the horror base. I can't see what it might gain from going darker other than exposing some characters as ridiculous - a strength when they embrace the OTT nature of it. The series hit the perfect line for me in that regard. It even worked great in the old anime. I had that on VHS and own a bunch of original cells from it. The characters looked superb in that.

Comment

Originally posted by HailMary View Post
      Darkstalkers needs to make a come back, but needs to be on the same level as Mortal Kombat or at least a bit darker than it's cutesy appearance.
      I think it would be best if the people behind Mortal Kombat created a similar game based on horror characters. They put Jason Voorhees in MKX, so they could easily create a MK spinoff with all sorts of characters from the horror universe.

I'd really hate to see Capcom turn Darkstalkers into a 3D fighter with a really dark theme and gore etc... The original games still look beautiful -- and I really appreciate the early cinema vibe to the settings and some of the characters. There's an air of fun about the whole design, with a comic book horror theme that puts a smile on my face.

Anyway, I'm definitely going back to the series when I next set my Saturn up.

Comment

I feel like they may have missed the boat with a Darkstalkers upgrade. I would love to have seen it post-SF3 with that level of animation. As it is, the animation in Darkstalkers is pretty superb so part of me feels like it never even needed a visual upgrade but I like to imagine what they would have done later with even more resources and reaching even higher with the animation. I think it could work in 3D if done with a real sense of fun and a very stylised animation direction (not like SF4/5 which loses the impact of some of the 2D animation) but I reckon it's unlikely we'll see it any time soon.

Comment

Time for another discussion flashbang grenade Darkstalkers mostly sucked, I still maintain that stuff like Felicities emi-nudity and Morrigan's cleavage had the most to do with what little attention the series ever saw. Capcom would be insane to ever bring it back, a new game would be dead on arrival.

Comment

I think you would have seen more to it if you had removed yourself from the semi-nudity and cleavage for a moment there, SF.

Comment

I hated the whole nonsense fighting era. That whole punch - snakes from the ground 6 feet away rubbish killed my interest, the MvC games etc rode that risk on a knifes edge too. Always disliked the disconnect and much preferred the standard fighters. Bring me Street Fighter Alpha 4!

Comment

Okay, yeah, let's have SFA4.

But also Darkstalkers 4. I mean, if they're going to make games anyway it would be a waste not to.

Also Pocket Fighter 2. And while I'm at it, BRING IT OUT ON A HANDHELD SYSTEM THAT ISN'T THE WONDERSWAN!

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  I still maintain that stuff like Felicities emi-nudity and Morrigan's cleavage had the most to do with what little attention the series ever saw.

These are some of my favourite characters. I really like how Capcom took classic horror characters and gave them new distinct designs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Okay, yeah, let's have SFA4.

But also Darkstalkers 4. I mean, if they're going to make games anyway it would be a waste not to.

Also Pocket Fighter 2. And while I'm at it, BRING IT OUT ON A HANDHELD SYSTEM THAT ISN'T THE WONDERSWAN!
                    Wasn't that on the PS1?

EDIT: Seems it was on Wonderswan too. YLSNED

Comment

Look if you’re not willing to buy a Wonderswan to play one obscure game then I’m just not sure this is the forum for you.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        Look if you’re not willing to buy a Wonderswan to play one obscure game then I’m just not sure this is the forum for you.
                        Ugh, Wonderswan. Jokes aside, I never got into them. Tried.

I have a similar problem with the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Back-in-the-day I absolutely loved it; it was up-there in my "favourite consoles ever" shortlist. However, ever since I played on the DS Lite/GB Micro/GBA AGS-101, I just can't go back to any older screen technologies. They're charming for 5 minutes, then I just want to boot up something with a newer screen.

If SNK made a Neo Geo Pocket Color "Classic", with a GBA-AGS-101-quality screen and a range of games in the same form factor as the old units (perhaps with a rechargeable battery) I'd happily pay over £100 for it.
                        Last edited by Asura; 09-01-2019, 22:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

These are some of my favourite characters. I really like how Capcom took classic horror characters and gave them new distinct designs.
                          I always liked Rikuo.

Comment

Wow! What an unexpected discussion, thank you!

Had to laugh at the donkey. And yeah, I also prefer normal fighters versus this over-the-top fantasy and comic book fare. BUT it's a very nice change of pace so I enjoy playing stuff like this on the side. Well, at least for now. We'll see how things go.

If there ever is a new "Darkstalkers" I feel they should find the perfect compromise between dark and colorful. This one has a perfect balance, it seems, with lively comic book-like characters and moody backgrounds. But no, they shouldn't really go into "Mortal Kombat" territory with that. The occasional blood spurt is fine though )

Comment

Despite some broken bones (fighting game-unrelated ) and an operation looming tomorrow, let's continue:

Brutal: Paws of Fury (Sega CD)

Oh boy, What's this?

I acquired this game because one member of our group has or had it for the Super Nintendo and she had very fond memories of it. We're trying to play as many fighters as we can get our hands on anyway, so I figured I would get this one too. And the outer box is really nice!

Well. The idea is.... uh.... um ... yeah, fluffy animals fighting each other is a cool concept, so why not. It looks pretty dope in screenshots, but animations are rather simple and rough, and except for the hot fox girl most characters look pretty goofy in some way. Which doesn't mean that the game could not play well. But.....it doesn't. Or at least we were unable to crack its secret code and enjoy it.

There are two main problems: First, it supports the six button controller but we could make out many differences between the attacks. Secondly, and this is the game's death sentence...it seems we have to unlock all special moves by playing the story mode. WTF?!? Who thought that was a great idea?

I mean, yeah, I get it. This was probably made with kids in mind who could afford only one game every six months or so, and this would greatly lengthen the playtime. But right now, for our purposes, this was a terrible design decision, and therefore we were unable to play this for very long.

Which is a shame because hey, I wanted to spend some more time with these animals, and the stages don't look bad at all! The music was pretty unmemorable though.

Would have really loved to try this with all special moves active, but alas.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post

Oh boy, What's this?

I acquired this game because one member of our group has or had it for the Super Nintendo and she had very fond memories of it. We're trying to play as many fighters as we can get our hands on anyway, so I figured I would get this one too. And the outer box is really nice!
                                I remember playing the SNES version a bit back in the day. The graphics are OK, the music is forgettable, and it just doesn't feel satisfying to play. I'd say it's quite a lame game. I'm sure that Capcom could have taken a similar concept and made it far more impressive and fun to play. It's one of many 16-bit fighters that totally fails to compete with the best on offer.

Comment

Working...
                                X