Rogengate: The Great Hacking Scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rogengate: The Great Hacking Scandal

So, I doubt I need to go into the massive fallout following the hacking of Sony by a group who would later escalate things by referencing 9/11, mostly it seems in the aim of getting the release blocked of the Seth Rogen and James Franco comedy The Interview. After a flood of leaks, mostly from emails and documents held by the movie arm of Sony and the threat of more in the coming week, Sony apparently pulled the plug on the film after cinemas and VOD services refused to carry it. The decisions will have cost the studio millions even without considering the other hacking aspects.

It's not the first hacking scandal this year either following the one referred to as The Fappening a few months back. However, we seem to be reaching a new level of seriousness as the US government begins to circle the issue in a much more present manner than before.

In the last few hours President Obama has taken a stance on the situation regarding the film, saying that he feels Sony was wrong to back down in the face of threats.

He apparently said a proportional response will be carried out by the US at a time and in a manner of their choosing. Meanwhile, the FBI have spoken out after their look into the matter and have directly accused the North Korean government of being behind the hack.

Bear in mind, this relates to a Rogen-Franco comedy... one with three separate anus related jokes in just the trailer. How far is this likely to continue? Future US historians will see that trailer as a reference point to the nations history with North Korea. Boggling.

Now Piratebay is gone where can I download this movie?

Comment

Proportional response? Eye for an eye language. So they'll hack a North Korean studio and stop them from releasing a comedy movie then.

For me, the bigger implications can be seen not with The Interview but with the cancellation of the adaptation of the Pongyang graphic novel. That's the real fallout here: no movie that carries risk will be funded from here on in. As if hollywood weren't risk-averse enough.

Comment

So this is just another excuse for the US private military contractors to make vast amounts of money while the US invades yet another country for thousands of miles away from their island under the name of "national defence". Or something.

Comment

I'm not sure. I have always got the feeling that the US doesn't see North Korea as an easy target. They'll happily poke at oil-rich bombing targets but they seem to back away from Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            I'm not sure. I have always got the feeling that the US doesn't see North Korea as an easy target. They'll happily poke at oil-rich bombing targets but they seem to back away from Korea.
            That would be because they have the bomb (and a rather large China backing them up mostly.

Comment

Yep..

Comment

Lots of short-sighted folks saying glib comments like "Grate! i h8 seth Rogen! i wish korear would ban all his movees"

If they managed to stop the release of an anus-joke-filled comedy, imagine if there was something with some meat to it.

Barack Obama is out of order too. I imagine he'd be first in line to criticise if people had been hurt in an attack on a cinema.

I don't like people using the threat of violence to get what they want.

Comment

The other thing with Obama is how little their homeland security seem to have done about it. They're often so quick to jump on threats and yet appear to have dismissed this for a long time, leaving the cinema chains and Sony on their own.

Comment

Apparently showings of Team America have also been pulled.

Can't help but feel that this is something of a publicity stunt from Sony. Right now, they're competing with the big guns of Christmas cinema, with a relatively obscure comedy movie about a controversial subject.

In February, it'll be quieter, and they'll change their mind, and everyone will go see it.

You can't buy this kind of publicity.

Comment

Sony have been made to look like utter tits in the hacked emails. The Interview is not a massive budget movie that would warrant a stunt so damaging and yet still a lot of money to risk if it didn't work. I seriously doubt it's a publicity stunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Sony have been made to look like utter tits in the hacked emails. The Interview is not a massive budget movie that would warrant a stunt so damaging and yet still a lot of money to risk if it didn't work. I seriously doubt it's a publicity stunt.
                        I should've been more specific, I think it's 50/50.

I think they're pulling the movie for genuine reasons, but in the knowledge that, in the long run, the advertising gains from it will outstrip their losses if they eventually do release it.

Comment

North Korea has again denied involvement and says it can prove it wasn't behind the hack, even suggesting a joint investigation into the matter.

Crooning Singer Voice:
                          'But then they go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like "grave consequences"'

Comment

If this wasn't an inside job I'll eat my minidiscs

Comment

After things seemed to be cooling down on Saturday in the whole North Korea/Sony Pictures debacle over the release of the comedy “The Interview,” they’ve now taken a turn for the even stranger in the last few hours. Following the FBI naming North Korea responsible for the attack on Friday, word came via Variety on […]

North Korea nowsays the US government was behind the film. I would love to hear Rogen and Franco's views on all this

Comment

Working...
                              X