This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thread of absolute stupidity.

Ok so we have an ircs thread, so i figured its time of for a thread of the absolute dumbest, dangerous and downright idiotic things you come across in your day to day, inspired by my trip to the airport this morning at 4am.

So i take my pal to the airport this morning pick him up at 4am, all good. Travelling down the a127 arterial from southend to join the m25 (for anyone who knows this road knows too well the daft amount of cameras all the way along). So im in an average speed zone of 50, its 50 for both lanes, no fast lane, when a bike zooms up behind me, judging from my speed he must of been doing 90-100, then he decides to sit off my rear of about 1ft, if i break he's dead, simple as. Luckily the road is totally abandoned save for me and this muppet tail gating (which is a major irc of mine anyway), so no problem i think he can just overtake if he's that desperate to get past.

Nope, the guy obviously can't do that proceeds to flash me and point to the other lane, well, that gets my back up instantly so he gets the middle finger. Now what he did next is the most dangerous thing i have ever seen anyone in my life do, the guy actually overtook me between the car and the central reservation, yep, not the left hand lane where theres zero traffic and a clear road, he decided using the 1ft of road between my and the central was a much better idea, im not exaggerating the fact that a few inches of movement in my car would of ended his life instantly.

It takes a lot to shock me, but that moment certainly did.

Why were you sat in the overtaking lane when there was "zero traffic"?

Comment

I'm pretty sure this can just go in the irks thread. And as QC said, if the road was empty you were in the wrong lane, no matter how much of a muppet the guy on the bike was.

Comment

Its 50mph on both lanes, theres no overtaking lane on that road anymore. So it makes no odds what lane im in.

Comment

Signals, stopping procedures, lighting, control of the vehicle, speed limits, stopping distances, lines and lane markings and multi-lane carriageways, smoking, mobile phones and sat nav.

techniques and advice for all drivers and riders (103 to 158)

7. Multi-lane carriageways (133 to 143)

Lane discipline

Dual carriageways

A dual carriageway is a road which has a central reservation to separate the carriageways.

On a two-lane dual carriageway you should stay in the left-hand lane. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking or turning right. After overtaking, move back to the left-hand lane when it is safe to do so.

Comment

But not on average speed roads, both lanes are the same speed, since i was doing 50mph, which is the required speed limit on that stretch, im not required to pull over for someone breaking the speed limit and thus the law.

Comment

I don't know what else to say.

I've quoted the highway code and the same poor lane discipline on the motorway now gets a fine.

Imagine your frustration if you needed to overtake a car sat in your lane with a speedo that reads a couple of miles slower?

Overtaking on the inside (undertaking) is illegal, so how would you get past? You wouldn't, you'd be stuck behind with your blood boiling.

This is why the Highway Code stipulates to keep left, to avoid these kind of road rage incidents.

No excusing the motorcyclist's behaviour, but it's not your job to police everybody's speed, you just need to follow the Highway Code, which in this example, is to keep left.

Comment

EDIT: We regularly have similar things happen to us in a no overtake zone on the morning run. I hate it when you get someone trying to "shove" you along the road because they want to break the speed limit, when you're in a 50mph zone and you're going 49-50.

It honestly makes you want to slam on the brakes and **** their BMW right up (it always seems to be a BMW - in truth it might be the same person).
                Last edited by Asura; 20-12-2014, 10:31.

Comment

Have to agree with QC and Colin. You shouldn't have been there in the first place and when you noticed someone behind you, you should have pulled over. And not sworn at them with your finger. Yes, he's a knob for going so fast, but you have to assume that all other road users are idiots, expect them to do crazy things and just do your best to do the right thing. Not join in. Or get caught up in an accident of their creation.
                  Last edited by charlesr; 20-12-2014, 10:26.

Comment

This thread has blown up spectacularly.

Comment

OK, so let me get this straight.

1. im not legally required to pull over for anyone on an average speed limit road, its a set speed for both lanes, period, full stop, no fast lanes no overtaking unless your going slower than the required speed.
                      2. the guy was doing near on 100mph on said 50mph, an illegal speed on any road in the uk.
                      3. he was tail gating, 1 foot off my bumper.
                      4. he swore at me first.
                      5. he then overtakes between me and the central with only a 1 foot gap, a few inches movement on my part would of instantly splattered him.

And what you took from that was im in the wrong? honestly im baffled. Just delete the thread thanks.

Comment

You should have just moved over. It was have been no problem for you to do and just let the guy be a twat on his own.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          OK, so let me get this straight.

1. im not legally required to pull over for anyone on an average speed limit road, its a set speed for both lanes, period, full stop, no fast lanes no overtaking unless your going slower than the required speed.
                          2. the guy was doing near on 100mph on said 50mph, an illegal speed on any road in the uk.
                          3. he was tail gating, 1 foot off my bumper.
                          4. he swore at me first.
                          5. he then overtakes between me and the central with only a 1 foot gap, a few inches movement on my part would have instantly splattered him.

And what you took from that was im in the wrong? honestly im baffled. Just delete the thread thanks.
                          I would say the only solution is to be zen about it.

Pull over, let him past at 100mph, and be secure in the knowledge that next time he has a tyre blowout, lane discipline will be the least of this problems as he lies dying waiting for an ambulance.

Comment

Not sure what you mean when you say it's the same speed for both lanes, whatever road you're on all the lanes have the same speed limit. The right hand lane is always the overtaking lane, if there was nothing in the left lane you were in the wrong lane, which is illegal now as well, along with tailgating, and a ?90 fine if you were caught by the police.

Yes the other guy was being a twat but you should've just pulled over into the correct lane.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                              And what you took from that was im in the wrong? honestly im baffled
                              Next time it happens, try pulling over and not giving the finger back and see what happens. I'm guessing a much less dangerous chain of events unfolds. There's no point "being right" if you end up in an RTA with someone dead - you might end up in prison through no fault of your own. Have a think about what would you have said to the police if they'd turned up to clear up the accident? I'm just trying to help really - just let idiots get on with it on the road - don't get involved.

edit: what asura said. "zen"

Comment

Working...
                              X