No announcement yet.

Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm about at the Whisperers too ... good to hear it picks up.

Comment

It's quite nice when you have a complete comic series to read.

I really enjoyed Y - The Last Man too.

Comment

Orbital Comics has, over the last twenty years, become my comic store of choice in central London. Smack bang next to Leicester Square tube station, and

"Orbital Comics has, over the last twenty years, become my comic store of choice in central London. Smack bang next to Leicester Square tube station, and the Arts Theatre, they transformed the old photography studio into a store and gallery space. It gets great footfall, not least from being right next to the real-life position of Diagon Alley. And there are a great bunch of people working there, some comic creators themselves, and some with a history running through comic stores in the capital. They know their stuff, are welcoming to new customers and share a real and genuine enthusiasm for comics and comic selling.

But I know that a number of British stores have been struggling of late with massively increased costs as a result of the falling pound, triggered by the Brexit referendum, as well as rising rents. And the imminent Brexit deal-or-no-deal has made a bad situation worse.

The big change
        As a result, I understand that over the next few weeks, Orbital Comics is to stop selling new weekly comic books. To stop dealing with Diamond UK and the direct market. And to transform into something else.

It’s not going anywhere, that is prime London retail space, but what it does with it will mean something else. What, I don’t yet know. The gallery space, which has just finished exhibiting the work of Phillip Bond, is a real draw and a place where original art can find a willing and eager buying market in London. Its side-space does a roaring trade in all-ages material. The events it throws, such as the recent Black Crown party, was spectacular. And when it comes to exhibitions and events, everything will continue as planned until the end of the year.

And now Orbital Comics is going to change, into something likely to be new and exciting, just rejecting the old direct market of the comic book store.

The impact on London

Now, I have heard rumblings regarding other comic book stores looking at similar choices. But no one quite as central, as prominent or as well known as this Eisner-Award-winning comic book store. This will be the biggest change in central London comic books since Comics Showcase closed decades ago.

This will leave Gosh and Forbidden Planet as central London direct market stores. And Orbital Comics as… something else entirely. I look forward to finding out more as and when it’s announced."

Comment

Added another slab to my collection. Currently at 97. I’m nearing the end of what has been on my list, and after the next handful, I’ll be pretty much done, less the ones that rarely come up for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
            handful
            I see what you did there.

Comment

How are you deciding on which comics to get graded? Are these key in any way?

Comment

Fancied a fun read at Halloween so got this and it was great fun!

Comment

^ That’s great. Is it a recent issue?

Fancy trying to collect all those issues!?!

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                    How are you deciding on which comics to get graded? Are these key in any way?
                    Mostly ones I have read, or that I like the cover art.

Key issues I steer clear of, as they normally carry a heavy premium, unless you get onboard really quick.

I rue the day I bulked at paying £90 for a Detective Comics #880 in a 9.8 (now considered a classic cover). Can’t buy one in that grade for less than £600 now.

Comment

Yes, sir! In the shops now. Got mine from WH Smith. £2.25! Bargain!

Comment

How graphic is it, as in violence wise?

I might buy it for my son (aged 10), if it’s appropriate enough.

Comment

Not gory at all.
                          The deaths are people getting swarmed and screaming "Noooooo!" or "Neeeeeeein!"

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                            Added another slab to my collection. Currently at 97. I’m nearing the end of what has been on my list, and after the next handful, I’ll be pretty much done, less the ones that rarely come up for sale.

Love that Artgerm Vampirella cover
                            Awesome get on picking it up
                            Just out of interest where do you get them done?
                            Do you send them direct to CGC or use an intermediary?

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Fancied a fun read at Halloween so got this and it was great fun!
                            Ah man Commando magazine
                            Remember me & my mate getting this & the other book (can't remember the other books name now) back in the day when we were really into WW2 stuff
                            Can't believe it's still running but it was an amazing little book

Quick question for everyone but I was recently gifted these Preacher books from a friend on Twitter & I've read them now so just wondering if anyone else would like them?

Neil

Comment

That is ridiculously kind, SW.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                                That is ridiculously kind, SW.
                                Thanks bud
                                Just paying it forward

Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X