Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Vita or not Vita, that is the question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Vita or not Vita, that is the question...

I picked up a Vita way back when to give Wipeout a spin and was sorely disappointed with its horrendous handling and generally lame user experience, so in a fit of rage I sold the console and moved on with my life.

Recently I've been thinking of picking up another one as there are some really, really good looking indie titles on there so I turn to thee for some recommendations all round. Is the platform any good or is it just full of lazy and uninspired console ports?

I usually go for driving games and something adventurous without random battles, aside from that the indie goodness that reminds me of the old school with platforming or something quirky and innovative.

Id say not. Yes it has some great games but the controls let he system down, it's a shame Sony didn't do a Nintendo and do a proper redesign. I believe the slim is better to hold but then you lose out on screen quality and it's not that much better.

Comment

It is a cracking handheld and it's pretty cheap to pick up now but unless a wide range of its existing titles appeal I'd find it hard to recommend one. Unless you're very much behind the idea that your next purchase is to be a handheld, you'd be much better served buying a PS3 instead as most of the catalogue is either on that system or better versions exist on it plus the advantage of much more selection. Vice versa too, if you already have/had a PS3 the Vita will likely run out of steam quickly with its selection.

Comment

I thought as much, don't own any modern consoles at all and this was just a random spur of the minute thing as I wait for the N3DS.

Comment

N3DS is a much better choice!

Comment

If you had to make this thread you clearly don't want a Vita.

Comment

Originally posted by djtickle View Post
              N3DS is a much better choice!
              I would say so.

That being said, consider the PS3 option suggested above. There's plenty to play there and they're cheap these days.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                If you had to make this thread you clearly don't want a Vita.
                Based on the speed with which I got rid of the last one I'd have to agree The only reason I was tempted to pick one up was I due to being offered a nice LE white unit.

But then the thought of "And what I would I play on it?" flew through my mind. N3DS it is then.

Comment

"And what would I play on it?" is a question people all too frequently forget I think.

Comment

to go against the flow of negativity i like my vita i picked it up sub ?100 and it fulfils the same role as a wiiu for me in that its a great little second screen for the ps4 and lets me play when the tv is occupied this alone is worth the entry price for me.

there are some amazing games on it to, The amazing Gravity Rush, Killzone: Mercenary's, which is an excellent shooter and offers a really solid online experience too. Dragon's Crown is very well suited to small bouts of play. Everybody's Golf 6, best golf game on the system and one of my fave series. Muramasa Rebirth: best version of this boss battles are epic. Uncharted: Golden Abyss is just awesome as is Persona 4: Golden too. these are just the tip of the iceberg so to say there's nothing to play is clearly ridiculous.

then theres all the indie stuff you get access to.
                    the unfinished swan, Velocity 2X, Spelunky, Flower, Sine Mora, Shovel Knight, Fez, Steamworld dig, Retro City Rampage, Don't Starve, OlliOlli, Luftrausers, Limbo, Hotline Miami, Guacamelee! the list goes on

Comment

Danganronpa makes the vita price worth the entry !

I love my Vita, and I'm not one for all these hundreds of indie darlings either- there's good solid games available either as DL only releases, or physical.

Danganronpa 1 & 2, VLR, Gravity Rush,Uncharted, FFX/X-2, UMVC3,Dragons Crown, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2, Everybody's Golf, Lumines, Silent Hill Book of Memories, Tales of Hearts R, Persona 4... There's actually a long list of really good titles on the system that are worth the price alone- that's without taking into account all of your DLs of PS1 & PSP classics, or the stream of PSPlus titles- I love my Vita- such great value and a lovely feeling system
                      Last edited by MrKirov; 19-01-2015, 10:52.

Comment

My Vita just turned up this morning (Original model, wifi only, ?70), but i have no memory card yet The lists above helps as to what to try, thanks Leb and Mr Kirov.

Really nice looking system too, i have never actually seen one in the flesh until today. Guess that is an indication of how well it has done.
                        Last edited by Pavey; 19-01-2015, 10:58.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                          Silent Hill Book of Memories
                          Not sure if serious...

Comment

Haha, the Silent Hill aspect was a bit pants, but the puzzle-y, loot-y RPG mechanics were quite fun when you ignored the subject matter

There's not a lot of loot RPG's on the system if that's your thing, only that crap dungeon hunter alliance - it's not a system seller by any means but it is certainly different it that's what you're looking for, and I found it suited the system well.
                            Last edited by MrKirov; 19-01-2015, 11:59.

Comment

Truly though, Danganronpa 1 & 2 and Persona 4 Golden are some of the finest experiences you will get not only on handhelds, but in gaming in the past few years I would say- and definitely worth owning the console for.

Comment

Working...
                              X