No announcement yet.

New/mint Dreamcast consoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved the whirr when it was on! Nostalgia!

Getting my boxed DC I have to my nephew tomorrow/ have no idea the state it's in. We shall see!!

I dug out my old one though, and the entire console and one of my controllers is yellow!! I knew it could happen, but really/ it's entirely yellow! It's not been out in direct sunlight or anything and it was in a box!!

Wtf?
    Last edited by MrKirov; 06-02-2015, 08:43.

Comment

They don't need to be in sunlight, just happens over time with the plastic, don't know if storing it in an airtight box would have made any difference.

Do they have the same problem as the SNES re the fire retardant plastic?

There are proven methods to clean them up MrK, sure someone posted a link to the details on here last year.

Comment

Doesn't it only happen to earlier made console iirc? And that later revisions don't have the problem? If so- a new one would be the answer!!

Comment

First time I heard a DC grinding away I thought there was something wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by VR46 View Post
            Crikey, postage would be more.
            Yeah, they have the same problem as GameCube kit, in that they fell below postage price and their value crashed.

GameCube stuff has crept up a bit recently though. I think a lot of people got rid of Wiis for the WiiU and have bought a GameCube so as not to lose that functionality.

Comment

So I got my DC back from my nephew, and it's yellowed- however not even half as much as the other- how come?

Fortunately, it works considerably better than my current one! Fished out the DC stuff I had, and to my surprise was a boxed controller and VMU, and a scary lead which gives me a much better picture than I imagined!! Been playing Zombie revenge and MvC1 and 2 for a few hours now. Might play through Shenmue for the first time, and maybe a bit of a Headhunter too!

Comment

My Dreamcast is so fecking loud it nearly drowns out game audio, anyone got ant quieting tips...........keep it in an airtight box?

Comment

Super-long cables so you can leave it in a different room maybe? Does the fan need looking at or something, because mine makes fair bit of noise, but nothing that would drown out the audio. Can't be right if it's that loud.

Comment

I used to enjoy the noise, gave it character.

I'm thinking of getting a cheap old large CRT monitor to hook up a dreamcast to via VGA. I remember the 21" Ilyama Vision Master Pro screens looking particularly beastly. Any reason why this might be a bad idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                      My Dreamcast is so fecking loud it nearly drowns out game audio, anyone got ant quieting tips...........keep it in an airtight box?
                      Right? I greased up my laser mechanism to try alleviate the issue but it is still far and away my loudest game console.

Comment

Its hardly new if he has used it. Absolutely no way of guaranteeing its new anyway - i had a dc for 8 years that never yellowed and still looked like it had only been removed from the box. Wasnt there a seal on the box?

Comment

Sorry for the bump but Im gonna be grabbing one of these off the bay soon hopefully. In case it has the battery clock problem is there anyone here willing to sort this out for me? I really dont trust myself nor have the time to do it myself. Also how easy is it to clean to reduce the yellowing back to grey?

Cheers

Comment

What causes the yellowing?

I've read stuff online where people insist that it isn't just smoker's homes and pollution, but instead is a natural reaction between the air and plastic - but then why do some units look newish, and others are like sand?

Comment

Working...
                            X