No announcement yet.

Are you happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was 38 on Tuesday just gone and I feel old.

Having a full time job (which is actually more hours than a normal 9-5) and then two young children too means I'm constantly tired as the youngest wakes up at least three times in the night.

I actually sat in my (company) car the other day and sobbed because I'm so tired. I would do almost anything for a decent night of sleep.

I find myself snapping for no reason. I promised myself that I wouldn't be "that Dad" who shouts at his children but there are times where I feel so knackered and the kids are, quite rightly, being kids and I just snap.

Then I think about how we're close to moving house. This is good. Putting myself into £185k of additional debt. Not so much. This stresses me out.

So at the moment. Not too happy.

Comment

Snapping at kids out of character is a possible sign of anxiety.

As for sleep, you need to work shifts. Sleep in another room/couch with ear plugs for two nights. Then you do a couple of nights "on duty".

Comment

I am 40 in September Still happy not working for a while and the wife is away for weeks at a time until september so I am getting some serious gaming done

Comment

It’s the mid life crisis we all mocked back in the day. Taking stock of life, ruing past mistakes or missed opportunities, and generally realising your body is failing the youth of your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
            It’s the mid life crisis we all mocked back in the day. Taking stock of life, ruing past mistakes or missed opportunities, and generally realising your body is failing the youth of your mind.
            Yup. Just don’t do what i’m doing. It’s unfulfilling to the max.

It sounds great, but you end up just seeing a revolving door of things you can’t have. Sure you get some one off attention, but ultimately the next day you’re alone again.

If you find yourself in a mid life slump, compare yourself to me and trust me- I see you guys in a more favourable position.

What’s worse is, I’ve been seeing a great girl who’s really into me. Loads in common, she’s a doctor that’s in charge of 25 other doctors, a big movie nerd, loves cats and has two like look just like my old one. And here I am, keeping her at an arms length and making her probably feel terrible because of it- to the point of her asking if I actually want to continue because I’ve distances myself so much.

I don’t even know why. She’s great, in person and in bed, she’s genuinely into me but I find myself still dating and not really into her even though I should be.

On paper she’s perfect, but in reality I have no idea why I just can’t face the idea of it. I don’t know if it’s because she’s not my usual type, or I’m wanting to look for “better”, or whether I want to continue what I’m doing... I just don’t have an answer.

So yeah, everyone’s got a lot of problems- but the grass isn’t always greener.

Comment

Reads loves cats, she’s gotta go.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                Yep. I think I’m falling into this hard.

Comment

I think the default setting for humans is "unhappy".

More specifically, "want something we don't have".

We want what we don't have, without being able to appreciate what we do have:

That's why we have a backlog of games, films, books and so on, because we think buying them will make us happy.

Worse still, is when we don't know what we want but we know it's not this.

It's what advertisers prey on.
                  You're not cool without our product.
                  You're missing out if you're not doing this thing.

It's how politicians get their way and I firmly believe it's what won Brexit.
                  People wanted something different and it's the vagueness of the Leave campaign that was so compelling - "Everything will be better if we leave!"

Even Obama used the slogan "Change" and I asked some Americans at the time what exactly he was changing, but none could answer.

This is what I struggle with; appreciating what I have and not being overwhelmed with what I don't.

Comment

I try to practice Mindfulness. I catch myself thinking jealous thoughts or negative thoughts and try to stop myself. It's easier said than done.
                    Thinking of getting older, I remember a few years ago I caught up with some friends who where still single and I went out drinking. It ended up being quite a drunken night and I remember sitting in a bar with them all laughing and just thinking 'I've done all this now. I don't want to be here.' I guess it was a moment of clarity. I still think about nights out and get the urge to just go get smashed, but then I remember that night and I know I just won't enjoy it anymore.

Comment

I'm just rubbish at getting older. Yep, I will advise people to look at what they have rather than what they don't have or what they missed out on but my own mind is terrible at taking my advice and rarely listens to a word I say. I'm honestly not sure there is real merit to what I'll say next but... I'm not sure it helps that Iron Man is 54 and Ant Man is 54 and even Hawkeye is probably almost 50 too and I don't even know how old the others are, or that we see old Han Solo back in action and so on. Back when we were kids, people our age on TV and film sat at a table in a cardigan reading a newspaper and mumbled some complaint to their kids. That's what being our age is supposed to be. I'm going to claim we are presented with unrealistic expectations these days, even though the mid-life crisis is hardly new.

Mostly it alarms me how quick time goes. And it's probably not a good sign that, if offered a do-over, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Anyway, if there are any scientists reading, please redirect your efforts into sorting eternal life and youth for me. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Same thing exactly. Been on my mind all the time recently. Depressing. Cannot be reversed. It's irreversible, you just have to make the most of the descent, it's like Pilotwings but you're steering your own carcass toward a landing pad marked "SNUFFED OUT, BYOTCH" in big, pixellated yellow letters and then you're gone gone gone like a paper bag in your mother's fire.

I think it's me and you who are EXACTLY the same age, innit??? Funny how it all works, synchronicity of thought!!!

Comment

However, I am happy about one thing about myself at this grand old age. I am not bitter, nor malicious. I meet so many peeps who are and all they do is slag slag SLAG things and people off.

I'm glad that's not me. At least I have attained elements of enlightenment. It's all infinite, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                            Same thing exactly. Been on my mind all the time recently. Depressing. Cannot be reversed. It's irreversible, you just have to make the most of the descent, it's like Pilotwings but you're steering your own carcass toward a landing pad marked "SNUFFED OUT, BYOTCH" in big, pixellated yellow letters and then you're gone gone gone like a paper bag in your mother's fire.

I think it's me and you who are EXACTLY the same age, innit??? Funny how it all works, synchronicity of thought!!!
                            Maybe we’re the same person! That Pilotwings analogy is perfect. That’s it exactly.

Comment

Fingers crossed for a few thermals, eh?

Comment

It sucks as you get older. FACT.

I’m probably one of the oldest on these boards, I can say, hand on heart, it doesn’t get any easier.

You become more cynical and grouchy, and find the most inconsequential things makes you irritable.

The fact that the country is going down the pan, and society with it, makes me fear for my kids futures.

Comment

Working...
                                X